A Precautionary Honda Tale

Got a PI system fitted to the S1 which gives temps, pressures etc as well as lap times. As per a previous post, my JDM engine was showing 9 bar oil pressure - ok according to some, not ok to others. So we decided it would be a good idea to have a look at the oil pressure relief valve. Am I glad we did, as fire number 3 could have been a distinct possibility - the valve was gunked up and stuck in the closed position. The offending item was cleaned up, and now shows 3.5 bar on tickover. So, as someone else pointed out, ignorance is not bliss, and it might be an idea to get an oil pressure gauge fitted. I reckon this engine has only done around 8k miles, has had the oil changed more than enough times, and I believe we have belatedly found the cause of both fires…

Isn’t number 3 piston melting a common problem with the S2000 engines (I know they’re different but not very different )…

Something to do with an oil injector or something…???

So glad you got that sorted Russ !

Good catch Russ!

I think I may heed your advice.

Ian

Russ, where did you get your engine from? If it’s from you know who then… Another of his customers who purchased a JDM just lunched his gearbox… Seems to be a pattern forming here.

Mine was brought in straight from Japan by Matt Cummings and looked like brand new when I got it, I have no reason to doubt that. It had reputedly 300 ks on it.

The oil pressure REALLY REALLY should have been checked after the first fire and having no guage is not an excuse as a temporary guage could have been fitted just to check. Seems a real shame that your lovely car has been messed up because of a basic preperation cock up. Glad you have found the problem now though.

Randy

Exactly my comments to Russ when he told me

I’ve been thinking about where I’d put gauges (and keep the stereo) and seem to recall somebody posted a bracket to mount them in that ran from the gearstick housing to under the heater controls. Does anybody remember?

Thanks, Ian

I remember that IDG… can’t remember context tho’ so what to search on

I think it may have been a hanger 111 part tho ?

By chance found this, is this what you where talking about?
http://www.brooke-kensington.co.uk/ppartl2.htm

Ian,

Eliseparts do a twin gauge pod that replaces the left hand dash panel. This allows you to keep your stereo. Think it was around �40 - �50 when i bought it. Got it covered in alacantra?? to match the rest of the panels.

Looks quite and replaces a panel which is effectively doing nothing.

Cheers

Scott

By chance found this, is this what you where talking about?
Lotus parts – Brooke Kensington >

jamie

that’s the fella !!.. centre console

I’ve been thinking about where I’d put gauges (and keep the stereo) and seem to recall somebody posted a bracket to mount them in that ran from the gearstick housing to under the heater controls. Does anybody remember?

Thanks, Ian

Ian - Bernard fits a three pod guage for oil temp, pressure and turbo boost, and he puts it under the dash using the area where the courtesy light fits - this has the added benefit of already having a power supply for the bulbs !!

I expect he could be persuaded to give you instructions on the nitty gritty, and then all you have to do is choose what other guages you want !!

(Fancy a boost guage ?? Hee Hee !!)

PS You can have a look at it at Croft…

Thanks the one! Thanks jamie. Only has room for two gauges though, and I was thinking, fuel and oil pressures, plus oil temp.

Scooteroo, do you have an A/c car? As they have vents and a stereo, so I’m not sure where anything else would fit?

mike, cheers, I’ll take a butchers. Maybe while you’re trying to scare me?!

Ian

mike, cheers, I’ll take a butchers. Maybe while you’re trying to scare me?!

Ian

You may find it difficult to focus on the guages - it is a bit like reading your newspaper in a lapdancing club - you just never get around to it !!

HERE’s a picture of Brooke-Kensington’s centre console panel fitted.

Thanks Brendan!

D’you think it fits S1s as well?

Ian

Ian,

no air con for me hence the left panel was unused and crying out for some gauges. First attempt at posting a pic so bear with me if this goes wrong
[image]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/scottmckay666/Image038.jpg[/image]

The best I’ve seen were using the ali strip above the light buttons. Some guy in Germany was doing them. He put two ali tubes into the strip and resprayed the strip with the same coating. Looked like it came out of the factory that way. I don’t have a picture but you get the idea in this photo.

[image]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/iwilson/dash2.jpg[/image]