5 point Harness

I have Safety Devices harness in the car but only the drivers side has the 5 point, the passenger gets 4 point only.

Can I add the crotch strap bit to the passenger side. If so how easy, costly is it to do?

Cheers

If so how easy, costly is it to do?

Cheers

Not met Fiona yet, so no comment

To be honest, I wouldn’t bother, unless you’re going racing. IIRC they are quite expensive for what they are, plus Safety Devices may now have stopped trading. The harnesses/straps are actually made by Schroath, & no doubt Demon Tweeks can supply them, if Lotus can’t.

Assuming it was a factory hardness job, I suspect the previous owner added it, as they didn’t usually come like that.

If you look inbetween the cushions you will find a slit to feed the crotch strap through. The buckle should already have the 5th hole available.

One warning though. If the car rolls and the roll bar compresses (and if you search enough on the site you’ll find some pics of a yellow one that did just that a good few years ago) if will stop you slipping down and leaving your head in a situation that you’d perhaps not want. Some US tracks apparently don’t let you use them for just that reason.

I also understand that Safety Devices may have had some financial difficulty, so they may be hard to find anyway.

Ian

Both working on that at the same time Pesky!

Which Yellow one, hopefully not mine

Just prefer the secure feeling of the 5 to the 4. Plus it’s going to get tracked very soon.

Yep, that was your car, Steve

Not really

AndyD very kindly gave me the extra crotch strap, so I don’t know where/how much. I tried fitting it myself, but I couldn’t get the length right. Nick Whale’s sorted it out for me. It’s just attached under the seat runner as per Lotus’ recommendation.

That was f*ckin mean
Heart still racing after reading your first line

If it’s easy to fit, I might just get one. Somehow I feel much better with a crotch strap

Which Yellow one, hopefully not mine

Er, no, not yours.

I thought the pics were here, but not any more.

Ian

Sorry Steve. Couldn’t resist

THIS is your car

AndyD very kindly gave me the extra crotch strap, so I don’t know where/how much. I tried fitting it myself, but I couldn’t get the length right. Nick Whale’s sorted it out for me. It’s just attached under the seat runner as per Lotus’ recommendation.

Steve

The 5th bit is available from Demon Theives for about 15 quid - If you can wait a few days when I’m back to look up the numbers - as Pesky sayes its a Schroth part … The bit for the seat is no more than a bent bit of wire because the only real use of the 5th bit is to hold the lap straps in the correct place - so you can do it for about 20 quid ( thick wire from b&Q IRC … )

What bit of wire is that?

Tried to find it on Demon Thieves website but no luck. It’s a twin crotch strap rather than a single one.

Had a poke around and found the slot in the seat. Looks like the webbing just pokes through there and is secured by a buckle to stop it pulling through. Bit bloody tight under the seat, so hopefully it’s not a seat out job?

PS Brendan,

What’s that bolt rattling around under the seats? We’ve seen it a couple of times (and heard it a lot more), but disappeared underneath again. Hope it’s not supposed to hold the seat down

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=SSP49010

Yep, it’s a seat out job to fit. As I said, the harness is attached under the seat runner. It relies on the same bolt that holds the rear edge of the outboard(I think )) runner.

There were no bolts under the seats when I left it. NW’s have been know to leave some ‘spare’ bits rolling around occasionally I remember once after they’d had the car, I found a screwdriver, a bolt, and an electrical connector all at once.

However, if you ever find any cash, it’s mine

No cash, but that credit card I found has been very useful

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=SSP49010 >

There you go …

The bent bit of wire goes across the seat under the “hole” -

Its a damn sight easier to do than explain

…or you can forego the bent piece of wire, and fit it as I described above. Recommended by Lotus themselves.