3,000 miles in 6 days

Just done a little trip in the beast - to Marbella - the foreign speed limits said 120 - so I did - all the way there and back. Preformed like a dream - managed to loose alternator belt near Barcelcona - ran for about 60 miles without it and crawled into Rover garage - they had the replacement belt - COOL - 1/2 hour job - COOL - bolt sheared - BOO. Took 8 hours of arsing about - garage wanted to take the engine out (not on your nelly) - solution - garage made small bracket so did not need sheared bolt - YIPPEE. Cost �13.00 - done about 1K miles on bracket and works fine. Locals loved the car - had best time ever - my bum is now flat.

Sounds excellent!!!

How long did it take? I was planning to get to Mugello for the MotoGP in May next year and do the scenic route there

Even though it’s a different country it’s gotta be about the same distance

Just done a little trip in the beast - to Marbella - the foreign speed limits said 120 - so I did - all the way there and back.

Erm… was it not supposed to be 120… km/hr not miles/hr?

That’s “Scouse” (as in Merseyside, not Bernard!) humour for you

Awesome, sounds like a memorable trip in more ways than one
And I’m worried about my 4rse on the short hop to LeMans next year
And on the LeMans theme, just been talking to Martin Brundle at dinner time (lunch time for you southeners ) He said it’s looking good for his partnership with Mark Blundell and the Aston Martin DBR9 for LeMans 2006, but hoping to do a couple of races next year in it. I know F1 drivers tend to be fairly short and slim but his hands are tiny, flippin good suntan though lucky sod.
John

That’s “Scouse” (as in Merseyside, not Bernard!) humour for you

S’ok, I did the same.
135 max in the Autostrada. I went slightly over the limit there, 137
Did overtake a police car at about 170Km/hr though. Not a problem over there apparently!

Sounds like fun. I was planning a trip to Tuscany next spring as I’m going to a wedding. Thought the Exige would be the most fun mode of transport, although my suit may get a bit wrinkled! Is the Chunnel the best way over?

Chunnel was very quick, 45 min and I was on the other side.
But expensive.

Wouldn’t take the chunnel next time.

And I’m worried about my 4rse on the short hop to LeMans next year

Le Mans in an exige is alot of fun … so much fun im doing it again next year

Did Le Mans last year in the Exige - via Chunnel - tempted to try Hoverspeed next time. Excellent fun esp if going with a crowd!! No aircon, windows down all the way . Only down side is limited tent and booze space - though i’m sure some here would recomend going lite ie taking the credit card and getting a hotel (but book now if thats the case).

Lets put it this way if an XR2 can make it there …

Word of warning though… keep an eye on the speedo when you get within 30 KMs from Le Mans - bans and hefty fines being given out like candy by the Gendarmes. Suspect their Christmas bonus is linked some how - plus its open season on the English nutters

M

Chunnel is mad for pricing, I got 50 quid each way on a single, but a return cost 180 quid … go figure that one when a plane ticket is complete the other way around …

If I picked up one trick while driving through France this year, it is this! When you pull up to any Peage (toll booth) have a good long look for any form of Police car or Person wandering around. If the Police are about, and you have been speeding, ditch your ticket. Say it blew out of the window or anything along those lines. On Gumball this year, the Pigs got a few people by calculating their average speed from the information on their toll tickets. If you have lost your ticket, they charge you the maximum distance, which, if you are driving all the way through France, is usually only a couple of Euros more than you would have paid anyway. It served me well. I got to one toll and claimed to have lost my ticket. The girl looked at me and pointed out that all of the Ferraris were having the same problem. She was grinning from ear to ear, but the Rozza waiting to inspect my ticket looked a little annoyed!

B4stards all of them!

Ed

Did 3 days there via Calais (& blown alternator belt) and 2 back via Santander. The current Missus bought �1.95 cushion filler to sit on (I’ve Corbeau racing seats) I’d have paid �000s for them - well worth the investment. Small problem with Lilley Law - doing 120 mph (honestly officer I thought that’s what the sign meant) Plod on bike came past - grinned - waved hand in half hearted effort to slow us down and flew of into the distance - it’s the continental way. Toll booth timing is an old trick - like idea of loosing ticket. To avoid attention we (had mate in Merc SL600 Hairdressers V12) left long stips of rubber at each Toll Booth - YIPPEE - VERY upset by Merc - out paced me 0 - 60 then ran on to limiter at 158 - bastard - but did pay 4 times what I did for the Beast. Just put new AO48’s on before left - superb but very wet on way home via Santander - like driving on ice - going sideways round corners at 15mph. BEST FUN - staying over each night and interfering with the locals - Brethren, take you motors and you seed and spread joy all over our continental cousins