240R vs TVR T350/Sagaris

Thanks…

http://www.castlelotus.com/stock/

I assume this is NOT a 240R - slightly confusing when they put Cup 240R… is it a Cup 240 or a 240R. Given it has the 8 spoke and level 1 exhaust I assume Cup 240 (Road)… damn this is easy !!

South 240R - given you can still spec a Cup 240 (Road) and given its a 2006 and would have electronic throttle and traction control… why did you go for the 240R? Not a loaded question - just interested.

I could get a 240R with 800 miles on it for �37K instead of �45+++ for a Cup (biggest factor). I like the limited edition factor of the R and the more special interior (18 in the UK and only 4 are yellow). I want to use it on track mainly so the lighter and wider wheels on the 240R are a bonus and on track I’d never use the traction control.

The final thing was I’m not a fan of electronic throttles, they are fitted to ensure that when you stomp on the peddle the butterfly opens at a rate that keeps the emmisions in line… but it does slightly dull the response… personal thing and the Lotus is very good… but still a minor niggle…

So the only thing I’m having to add to the car is the LSD and I wanted a torque sensing not a plate version that comes standard on the Cup cars (it can be a bit aggressive for my tastes)…

Hope this helps… But dealers will now deal down to about �42 on a Cup 240 by the sound of it so price wise they are getting much closer.

Oh and I like having central locking… which they wouldn’t fit to the Cup for some unknown reason… it’s the little things as they say…

Pretty much echo what South 240R has has said really. I’ve done 7,500 miles and 3 track days in mine. Only 2 very minor niggles and no mechanical failure.

I had a Elise 135R previously. The 240R feels more solidly built, the ride is more comfortable and I can hear the stereo. I use the thing pretty much everyday and love it to bits.

As far as I know Alan Nagle has still got his for sale…

Out of interest boys, what you getting per tank? Can you get over 200-240 miles mark per tank?

I had a Elise 135R previously. The 240R feels more solidly built, the ride is more comfortable and I can hear the stereo.

Thats interesting. Does the 240R have extra sound deadening over the Cup car? The report in last months EVO likened the noise in the 240Cup to a chainsaw, & (i’m paraphrasing) a painfully loud one a that on the m’way.

The NA S2 Exige/111R (with standard exhaust) are very quiet in cruise mode

Tim.

I had a Elise 135R previously. The 240R feels more solidly built, the ride is more comfortable and I can hear the stereo.

Thats interesting. Does the 240R have extra sound deadening over the Cup car? The report in last months EVO likened the noise in the 240Cup to a chainsaw, & (i’m paraphrasing) a painfully loud one a that on the m’way.

Tim.

I’m not sure if it does have extra sound deadening than the 240 Cup, but it certainly does have more than the 135R. To be honest, I don’t really mind it. One half of me would like to strip everything out that wasn’t necessary (sound proofing, A/C, Electric windows, central locking etc), but the other half really appreciates being able to hear the stereo on the motorway!

I’d hazard a guess that EVO are talking nonsense. You only really get the extra noise at higher revs when the supercharger is working, so I couldn’t imagine the 240 Cup being too bad on the M’way in top gear even if it did have less sound deadening.

Out of interest boys, what you getting per tank? Can you get over 200-240 miles mark per tank?

I think so, Jamie. I’m sure I only used about 2/3 or 3/4 tank on the way back from Hethel when I first picked the car up, and that’s a good 200 mile journey. There again it was all below 4,000 rpm

Tim.

I’m not sure if it does have extra sound deadening than the 240 Cup, but it certainly does have more than the 135R. To be honest, I don’t really mind it. One half of me would like to strip everything out that wasn’t necessary (sound proofing, A/C, Electric windows, central locking etc), but the other half really appreciates being able to hear the stereo on the motorway!

I’d hazard a guess that EVO are talking nonsense. You only really get the extra noise at higher revs when the supercharger is working, so I couldn’t imagine the 240 Cup being too bad on the M’way in top gear even if it did have less sound deadening.

You can hear the stereo!?!

Cruising down the motorway at 80-90 it is very possible to hear the stereo properly in the 240R, and as for the chainsaw, when you are on full boost running the supercharger hard it does howl, but on the motorway it’s no different to the last performance pack S2 Exige I had. Having been out in a touring pack car though, it’s got nothing like as much sound deading in the 240R, much noiser.

Fuel range… on the trip down to Abbeville last month I managed 270 before filling up on the way down doing a steady 80 on the motorway… on track though at Silverstone I got through an entire tank in 3 sessions… all depands how hard you make the supercharger work…

Thanks for the info

Tim.

Guess some jerry cans might be a good move then…

On the subject of the up rated brakes. I did my first trackday in the 240 Cup car yesterday, and to be honest I was VERY disappointed with them. They were so bad that I had to cut the day short.

They developed a serious judder that made it impossible to have any confidence in them. I suspect it�s that the pads can’t cope with the heat being generated. The ABS wasn’t kicking in, so it’s not that I was being overly hard on them. Either way, this is meant to be a track focused car and one that �Complies with the technical regulations of the European Lotus Cup�, I don�t think it unreasonable that it should survive a Joe public trackday�…

Feels abit like the pads left a residue on the disks, that was causing them to snatch. General road use doesn�t seem the repeat the problem, but high speed braking does and the noise is terrifying.

Does anyone know what pads are fitted as standard? All the manual says is up rated, I was told that they were Pagids, but there obviously not RS14s as they leave no brake dust (well very, very little brake dust).

I have a new set of Pagid RS14s sat in the garage, but won�t fit them till I�ve spoken to the dealer as there are other issues to be addressed as well.

Any 240R/Cup 240 owners experience anything similar?

Interesting, I’ve done 6 track days in the 240R now and never had any brake problems?? On the first track I bedded them in properly and they went through a slightly soft spot but once I’d done about 10 heat cycles through them we proper cooling between they are great…

Did you bed in the new pads and do you give them a good cooling period before coming in after a session??? I’d be surprised if the pads are different on the 240R to the Cup?

On the subject of the up rated brakes. I did my first trackday in the 240 Cup car yesterday, and to be honest I was VERY disappointed with them. They were so bad that I had to cut the day short.

They developed a serious judder that made it impossible to have any confidence in them. I suspect it�s that the pads can’t cope with the heat being generated. The ABS wasn’t kicking in, so it’s not that I was being overly hard on them. Either way, this is meant to be a track focused car and one that �Complies with the technical regulations of the European Lotus Cup�, I don�t think it unreasonable that it should survive a Joe public trackday�…

Feels abit like the pads left a residue on the disks, that was causing them to snatch. General road use doesn�t seem the repeat the problem, but high speed braking does and the noise is terrifying.

Does anyone know what pads are fitted as standard? All the manual says is up rated, I was told that they were Pagids, but there obviously not RS14s as they leave no brake dust (well very, very little brake dust).

I have a new set of Pagid RS14s sat in the garage, but won�t fit them till I�ve spoken to the dealer as there are other issues to be addressed as well.

Any 240R/Cup 240 owners experience anything similar?

I’ve had the same. First track day at Croft they were absolutely fine. 2nd time out at Oulton they started making a bloody racket in the afternoon. Not sure about juddering, felt more like grinding and I could feel it through the pedal (my passenger could hear it as well). Same 3rd time out at Cadwell too. I put it down to overheating discs rather than pads. Pretty unnerving though.

Interesting, I’ve done 6 track days in the 240R now and never had any brake problems?? On the first track I bedded them in properly and they went through a slightly soft spot but once I’d done about 10 heat cycles through them we proper cooling between they are great…

Did you bed in the new pads and do you give them a good cooling period before coming in after a session??? I’d be surprised if the pads are different on the 240R to the Cup?

The cars now done over 1600 miles now so it’s not a case of bedding then in. But yes, I took the first couple of seasons easily as the car feels so different to my previous nitroned 111S. 15-20min on track and 30-40min off, should be plenty of time to cool down (miss read what you meant, yes one full lap without useing the brakes before comming back in)… I can’t understand it, never had this happen before and I’ve changed pads/disks eneugh times in the past.

Do you get alot of brake dust? Just trying to work out what the pads are without removing them.

I’ve had the same. First track day at Croft they were absolutely fine. 2nd time out at Oulton they started making a bloody racket in the afternoon. Not sure about juddering, felt more like grinding and I could feel it through the pedal (my passenger could hear it as well). Same 3rd time out at Cadwell too. I put it down to overheating discs rather than pads. Pretty unnerving though.

I’ve done Donington 11 times now, on either standard or ali belled disks, with both standard pads and RS14s so it does surprise me. It could be overheating of the disks, especially when you consider the increasing speeds with the new car (also weight!!)