240Cup/R vs S2 S vs S2

Does anyone have a view on the real world difference in these cars…I’ve got a real bee in my bonnet about changing my new to me std s2 for a cup/r and before I sell my soul just thought I’d ask the guys who know for their opinion?

Any input gratefullly received

thx

Buy an S1

not a bad thought Fluffy!

I went from an S2 to a 240R and thruthly am far happier and more impressed than I ever expected. I made the decision to buy the 240R primerily as I want to add Ohlins to my existing car… probably an accusump as it did a lot of track work… upgrade the brakes a bit… fit lighter wheels and always wanted a bit more power… so looking at my existing S2 it just made finacial sense as I’d not see a penny back spent on upgrades but would see a higher residual on a 240R… so I bit the bullet and bought an 800 mile one owner 240R.

The 240R is a much better road car for getting to and fro tracks, the extra low down torque makes it very relaxing on a long journey, just back of the Ohlins for a smoother ride

And on track… well it’s been the one of the fastest Lotus’s on track, proven to beat GT3RS’s and 360CS’s…

As I said can’t fault the car really… And as for buy an S1… had one… and the 240R would be a great car for a week away to the South of France with luggage… aircon working and decent stereo… and still be quicker than all but the supercharged hondas and nutter Audi’s…

I went from an S2 to a 240R and thruthly am far happier and more impressed than I ever expected. I made the decision to buy the 240R primerily as I want to add Ohlins to my existing car… probably an accusump as it did a lot of track work… upgrade the brakes a bit… fit lighter wheels and always wanted a bit more power… so looking at my existing S2 it just made finacial sense as I’d not see a penny back spent on upgrades but would see a higher residual on a 240R… so I bit the bullet and bought an 800 mile one owner 240R.

The 240R is a much better road car for getting to and fro tracks, the extra low down torque makes it very relaxing on a long journey, just back of the Ohlins for a smoother ride

And on track… well it’s been the one of the fastest Lotus’s on track, proven to beat GT3RS’s and 360CS’s…

As I said can’t fault the car really… And as for buy an S1… had one… and the 240R would be a great car for a week away to the South of France with luggage… aircon working and decent stereo… and still be quicker than all but the supercharged hondas and nutter Audi’s…

Same thoughts with the 240 Cup car. A bit more track focused but you still get the A/C with the road version. The main advantage of the cup car over the 240R has to be the revised 06MY pedal box that greatly improves the brake feel, also the new seats that are great.
You also get LSD with the cup version, but a crappy stereo (road version) or fire ext/electrical cut off (track version - no A/C).
The S2 S would make a better road car. You�re always going to be down on power, but I couldn’t say how much you�d notice that in the real world.
By the time you’ve spec�d up an S though, you’ll be looking at �40K so your probably better off going for a nearly new 06MY Cup 240 for the same price. Limited numbers them about, Lotus Sport build plate and the other track goodies like 4 point belts, suspension, adjustable roll bar, acusump etc.
If you were to get the S, it would cost over �46K to get it to the 240Cup cars spec�

Same thoughts with the 240 Cup car. A bit more track focused but you still get the A/C with the road version. The main advantage of the cup car over the 240R has to be the revised 06MY pedal box that greatly improves the brake feel, also the new seats that are great.
You also get LSD with the cup version, but a crappy stereo (road version) or fire ext/electrical cut off (track version - no A/C).
The S2 S would make a better road car. You�re always going to be down on power, but I couldn’t say how much you�d notice that in the real world.
By the time you’ve spec�d up an S though, you’ll be looking at �40K so your probably better off going for a nearly new 06MY Cup 240 for the same price. Limited numbers them about, Lotus Sport build plate and the other track goodies like 4 point belts, suspension, adjustable roll bar, acusump etc.
If you were to get the S, it would cost over �46K to get it to the 240Cup cars spec� [/quote]

Thats exactly were i find myself at the moment.

I have ordered an Exige S but when i have finished adding all the bits i want its getting close to a Cup. My concern is when i come to sell it, its going to be one of the most expensive S models around.

If i buy the cup i would add nothiong and so would have an easier time to sell my car as an unmolested factory car. The colour i have chosen (white) would be (maybe) more attractive to a reacer/trackday guy than it would be to a person looking for a nice road car.

In the cup i get a cage i do not want and a fire extinguisher. The cage is a no cost delete and the extinguisher i acn live with. In europe we only get one spec, and it has all the stuff in, unlike the track and road versions available in england.

Still not sure what to do…

If it was me (oh how I wish it was…), it really comes down to whether the car is primarily for road or track use, but even then only if refinement is an issue between the two.

The cup car is certainly the more exclusive, but if that comes at the expense of a compromise for your primary use (if it’s on the road), then maybe the S is the way to go.

Either way it’s a brilliant car

Tim.

Having owned S1 and S2 and thinking both cars great, I am always suprised with regard comments the std S2 so called low torque engine gets. When I drive my car on the road I feel the torque is more than adequate for touring pootling about etc, and after very little time on track the power band becomes quite easy to live with.
My thoughts are if I’m going to spend 40k I’d buy the cup car even if it was second hand becuase the relatively small power gains on offer seem very expensive to come by on the DIY route.
The positive for the cup owners is that the S will surely sustain residual values for this reason alone, and in some ways leave the S in a void between the std and cup car.
Anyway and perhaps more to the point I suggest that a lot of people like myself who have std S2’s learn to exploit the ability our cars have, because personally I know from experience that there are a lot lesser powered Elise’s Exige’s that when well driven leave me standing.

Just my humble

Steve

There are a couple of 240R’s with less than �5K miles for less than 38K at the moment… which must surely be a bargin at the moment??

Thanks Gents…pretty much cemented now on the Cup choice…just got to find one and resign myself to the loss of interest?

SO what do we think the next iteration of the Elise Exige will be to top up the coffers before the Esprit starts taking deposits?..surely they cant rely on the Sports Racer and the S till then?..and the Europa is going to bomb…isnt’ it?

Scratch that… I’ve just driven the S version. It is very good and what the Exige should have been from the start.
A very solid car, with a good spread of power, and everyday drivability. An excellent road car, but I still prefer the Cup 240. Mines got a far more savage appeal to it. It’s not only quicker but feels faster on all levels with far more driver feedback. The Exige S just didn’t give the same sense of occasion as mine, and though undoubtedly a great road car it’s just too easy to drive, abit like a Ford Focus if you know what I mean.
If you’re thinking of spending �40K on the S version I would suggest that you get a go in a 240 car first. It won’t suit all tastes but the difference is far more then the 23bhp would have you believe�

simondann111S,

What are your thoughts on both cars from a refinement point of view.

My ‘ultimate’ Lotus will need to be fab on track, & still be capable of some touring (i.e. 5-6 hour drives). Yes, I’m a fussy tw@t, but for the financial outlay I’d have to be

Would the 240 Cup be tiring on a long trip (the noise, not the feel)?

Quite a subjective thing I know, as we all want/like different things, but it would be interesting to hear your view.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim.

1 Like

Sounds like you need a 240R then… just like a cup without the LSD and more comforts??? Although to be honest I’m not sure there is much to choose between the two.

I’ve happily done a day trip to Abbeville for a track day, 200 odd miles each way, 45 miles on track and then home again. So about 10 hours in the car in a day without any discomfort and the stage 1 exhaust they come standard with means it is no problem hearing the stereo at an 80ish MPH cruise.

Agreed. Buy Alan Nagles’s 240R

Scratch that… I’ve just driven the S version. It is very good and what the Exige should have been from the start.
A very solid car, with a good spread of power, and everyday drivability. An excellent road car, but I still prefer the Cup 240. Mines got a far more savage appeal to it. It’s not only quicker but feels faster on all levels with far more driver feedback. The Exige S just didn’t give the same sense of occasion as mine, and though undoubtedly a great road car it’s just too easy to drive, abit like a Ford Focus if you know what I mean.
If you’re thinking of spending �40K on the S version I would suggest that you get a go in a 240 car first. It won’t suit all tastes but the difference is far more then the 23bhp would have you believe�

If it’s long journeys and mainly road use then the Exige S or 240R would be better suited. The Cup version won’t be as good. Noisy, twitchey, crap stereo that you can’t hear over the engine, road noise, squeaks & rattles. But it’s still far more rewarding to drive, your just going to sleep alot better at the other end…

Thanks for all your info.

I’m sure if I took the plunge on a S, Lotus would soon bring out an R, without the individual bits found on the ltd edition/motorsport versions. I’ll wait.

Bank Manager’s computer says no at the moment anyhow

Tim.

Bank Manager’s computer says no at the moment anyhow

Remortgate. Remortgage. Remortgage. I did. You’ll feel a lot better.