211 or Caterham

Thinking ahead to next year and the track day season, I have been looking at getting either a 211 or a Caterham Sigma. I am not interested in road use as I would be able to trailer the car to T/D’s. Have any of you guys had experience of driving both cars and would like to share your thoughts :thumbup:

Welcome back!

I’ve never driven a 2-11, but I much prefer the driving dynamics on the limit of my K20 Elise which would comfortably be on pace with a 2-11 compared to the Caterham C400 race car I’ve hired a few times.

That said, I think it’s easier to go faster in a Caterham and they are pretty good at skids if that is your thing :slight_smile:

The ferrets will be along soon to tell you, both would be good, but those ferrets and the sequential gearboxes are super fast and look the most fun you can have for the money

Hi Pete, glad to hear your thinking of getting back in a Lotus, I loved my R300 but apart from a couple of trackdays it was mainly used on the road, I’m sure the guys will be along soon who can give you better advice. 2l1’s are serious bits of kit and assume they are very quick around the track, Hopefully we will see you next year at Anglesey in your new toy…

Mark

Pete! How’s it going :smiley:

Quite simply 10 of us now have track R300’s and all of us you probably know mate. Most of us have a lotus or a GT3. I think that should pretty much give you all the advice you need :thumbup: I would not buy a Sigma tho, you will be disappointed in the long run IMO.

If you are interested, Markyb who used to post on here is selling his R300 Sadev and buying a new 420 very soon.

Good to have you back mate :clap:

I know someone that could potentially be tempted.

from a ongoing maintenance point of view the Caterham has to be the better option. oem lotus parts have become increasingly more expensive over the years and some difficult to get hold of, try finding a 2-11 aeroscreen…

Just read all the kind helpful replies :+1:

I think you are right Gav regarding replacement parts, price wise and being obtainable for the 211.

I think the R300 with the Sadev would be fantastic Jonny, one of the reasons I thought a Sigma might be good was so that the boys would be able to use the car too. They have now reached the age that it would be affordable to insure, it might be a good car for them to start having driver tuition in. What do you think Mate? It’s probably me that really needs the tuition though :wink:
By the way how is the family and the weekend football :soccer: going.

Mark I hope you and the family are well too and I presume your Dad is fighting fit and still enjoying his Exige :grin:

Thommo great to hear from you I will give you a call for a catch up :+1:

Welcome back Pete, R300 sounds like a blast need to catch up in the new year sometime

OK I’m biased, but if you want a track-only car then an R300 is pretty hard to beat. So fast, so much fun, light on its feet,…just an awesome little thing :sunglasses:

All good my end Pete, busy as ever. Running the team still, great lads and wonderful parents.

Phil and Sarah who maintain our cars now have a rental R300 , happy to pass on their number buddy for you to try…

211 everytime for me - in the hands of a half decent driver they are absolutely peerless :slight_smile: and they are Lotus :slight_smile:

I’ve had two very memorable days with my son in the rental. Worth a try first before splashing the cash. it was a roadsport, perfectly adequate. They were considering purchasing a ‘well known’ R 300. JF may know more. If available , the sequential is epic.

I have been looking into a nice R300 K series 160 with low mileage and also considering an Elise S2 SC. Either one of these would be suitable for T/D work and relatively affordable to buy and maintain, also a good starting point for the boys :grinning: without worrying too much :wink:

Caterham! Every time.

Peter,

I’ve only just seen this thread. I have a Caterham Academy Sigma and my son has just done his first full track day following a few laps shared with me a couple of months ago. He loved it and car was great and he was very brisk. An academy car is slow with only 125hp but it’s still fun. The Sigma engine and Mazda box are unburstable. It can’t keep pace with a r300 but with bigger/better tyres and a antirollbar should be the same on corners. Mine is wibbly wobbly and teaches you to drive, I’m still learning.

I’ve had mine for three years and it has needed tyres, discs, pads, a new engine mount and a new de Dion tube (and new rear cycle wings). If you get a Sigma get one with the Vtti cam timing, it’s allowed in many more race series and can easily be adjusted to 160hp which I believe is much more brisk. I may be selling it … I want a car we can store at home and drive to track days, I’m not brave enough to drive it on the road.

Hi Keith seems quite a while ago since we last met at Croft, that was the last T/D that I did in my Red Exige V6. I hope you are keeping well :+1:
Thanks for the info regarding a Sigma I didn’t know they had a Mazda gearbox, do you know what diff they use? I presume the one I have been looking at has the adjustable timing as it already has 140 bhp.

The standard open diff is BMW if it has a LSD I think they are Titan. The vtti came in in 2014, very easy to tell, you can see a solenoid sticking out of each side of the cam cover near the timing belt. Bookatrack mechanics tell me they have never had a Sigma engine fail but, they used to have a lot more duratecs so it’s unfair to assume one is better than the other.

I wish I could remember names and faces, I remember a red v6 at Croft!

Hi Keith yes it was the Red one with black tri stripes and the fruity exhaust, I remember you saying that you liked the sound but were surprised that it passed the d/b test :wink: especially at Croft.
I will have a look at the solenoids to check and see if they are fitted. I presume that the BMW diff is quite robust :smiley: