2007 Lotus 2-Eleven

Nope fuelling and ignition left alone.

As the X axis of the map is manifold pressure, we had it configured for a range of throttle openings (and hence manifold pressure readings) as part of my switchable map settings.

If anything I could probably add a splash of ignition advance as we had left a lot on the table when running more booost.

Next booked day is Hethel end of Sept! Considering Croft on Aug BH Monday.

Interesting (?) Spa stats.

Atmospheric pressure at that altitude was approx 94kpa (100 at sea level).

Under max boost i was down approx 10kpa in both modes compared to at home where I’m pretty much at sea level.

Not that you can do anything about it, but I reckon the altitude at Spa was worth a 10-15bhp drop.

You could though have had a high atmospheric pressure due to weather in Runcorn when mapped but the dyno corrected it? There are loads of variables at play here such as humidity, temp and air pressure.

Both Runcorn and where I drive the car locally are all around sea level so I make consistent manifold pressure everywhere.

Spa on average is about 400m above, so the numbers all make sense. It was just an observation

I used the 2-Eleven at the weekend and nothing broke, nothing needed tinkering - it just did what a car does and got me from A-B and back again!

North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club (NYLOC) had arranged a gathering on Whitby Pier alongside the RNLI as part of their vital fundraising day.

As a Family we absolutely love Whitby, and get there at every opportunity. One of the most beautiful places on the planet, not that we’re biased. So an excuse to go down with the Lotus, chat cars for a bit and also get a family day out of it was not to be missed.

I went down early doors in the 2-Eleven whilst the missus and young’un followed behind later.

Getting to the pier in a car isn’t the easiest task, as you’re crawling through a road that under most normal circumstances is practically a pedestrian area, but the NYLOC marshals stepped in and made everything smooth and safe.

Rain threatened just after arrival, but it didn’t really have much impact - so the showercap was shortlived.

After the family caught up, we wandered off and did the usual seasidey stuff. Fish and Chips, Arcade, Sand Castles and Ice Cream all smashed out with precision.

Went back and peaked at the car occasionally, just checking for nesting seagulls really.

(Thanks Martin and Mark for the photography)

The lineup was spectacular, can’t remember the final count but it must have been knocking 40?

Lots of Elise/Exige of course, but a few Elans and Esprits’ made it along too. Oh, and a smattering of Emira.

Mark braved the drone too, impressive with those coastal winds but worth it for the moneyshot.

The 2-Eleven had a fair few people curious, from what I was told people were generally obsessed with how small the rear view mirror was more than anything else! But a few nods of appreciation from Joe Public on just how shagged my tyres were starting to look along the outside edge didn’t go unheard.

The public that I ran into were bob on. In a purpose built car event, people go there because they like cars - but just turning up with a collection of toy cars in a random public location in the middle of both a cost of living crisis but also a save-the-planet crisis could have generated some friction - but I’m not aware of any issues, and generally I felt it added to everyone’s day out.

Was great to be a part of, and we raised a few quid for the RNLI too so happy days.

Ride home was a pleasure, steady traffic so nothing lairy - but a helmetless ride home had me nicely exfoliated and a nice reminder that the car isn’t so bad on the road.

Thanks to NYLOC for organising, and thanks RNLI for the invite (and the life savery)

3 Likes

No gearboxes?
No maps?
No boost pressures?
No drive shafts?
Nothing?

Who are you and what have you done with @Fonzey?

Wonderful day out. Wish I could have been there. You had better weather than over here on the west coast! Great pics

1 Like

Just going back to your charge temp problems, if you have not found a fix I had to add another pump, one to push to the pre rad and one to pull from it, the water rate is just too slow to keep up with the charge temps being created on big tracks

Cheers Ade, actually I have a second pump and have had it sat in its box for about 2 years! I intended to trial it on the Exige and I just never got round to it, because when running the standard pulley the CC easily kept up.

I’ll see how I get on at my next trackday with the 3.0" pulley. If I still think there’s room for improvement, this maybe something I explore for a winter job. I had plans to add a temperature sensor into the coolant circuit for the CC to give me some data on whether this was an air/water exchange limitation or a charge/water exchange limitation - so when those plumbing changes go in I can make provisions for an additional pump.

You can flow too much too quickly, so just throwing more flow at it is not always the answer, but without the data it’s only a guess. If you got good results from it yourself, then it’s got to be worth exploring.

If you didnt want to put in two pumps from memory you can “upgrade” your current one. I think there is something on my thread about which one

ETA I lied! I was @ade @Fonzey and me chatting about pumps! Inlet charge temps - #127 by ade

1 Like

I really like this idea.

Its a shame we cant get D5 style variable pump rate to adjust and test. I can find some data such as “look at how fast the return is flowing” on Youtube but no science of the water temp dropped by X deg C at Y flow rate.

Uprated water pump for Pro Alloy Charge Cooler - YouTube

I added a second pump for 2 reasons, mostly because it was cheaper than the one big one, plus it was simple to remove a tight 90 degree bend with a nice new pump on the opposite side of the charge cooler

Managed to squeak into an unplanned trackday at Croft with Circuitdays on BH Monday. Between then and now I’m away for a week, so needed to do my trackday prep early.

Because the car ‘just works’ at the moment, that prep involved putting petrol in it, and washing it.

I did get to snap it next to the new(ish) stablemate though. Since the 2-Eleven hasn’t cost me any money in almost a month I guess I wanted to fill the void in my life with another moneypit.

Depending on how motivated I am when I get to Croft I may have a play with the brakes. At Spa I found a satisfactory setup running a road-biased Pagid RS42 pad in the back, but I also have the option to revert to a 288mm disc and run matching compounds front and rear to see if that also works. Other than swapping some bolts/spacers out, it’s not a huge job to do trackside so I may consider it.

2 Likes

What a pairing! Any mods planned for the Prancing Horse?

1 Like

It really wasn’t supposed to be a project. Was hoping for it to be something to get some family fun in, keep it nice and then hopefully get out of it with my face intact at a later date.

It turned out to be a bit rough on collection, bought it blind at auction so it’s my fault for not viewing it etc, but it had hundreds of very well taken photographs and a very detailed description that was frankly just generous for the car.

As a result I’ve had some bodywork addressed, still a bit more to come and had the wheels refurbed and new tyres put on it. It had Pirelli P Zeroes on it which had distorted, presumably as the car had been parked for pretty much the whole of Covid with the exception of trundling around the corner to his local Ferrari dealer for the annual service. This made the car drive horrendously, really dangerous and didn’t enjoy it - but happy to say that a set of Michelin PS4S have cured it nicely.

So no, no mods really - but I think there will be a few jobs that I can do to tidy it up a bit and “Kyle it up” a bit. The car was hardly neglected, but it wasn’t loved either - so if I can put that right, I think I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Will be following with interest!

Should call it the:

“Should have bought a house to renovate instead” thread.

Why?

You cant drive a house but you can live in a car.

:smiley:

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Before packing up for Croft, I did a small job that I’ve been putting off for ages.

I’ve been tripping over a roll of PPF in the garage since I did the Tillett seats, and I’d saved just enough to cover the top and leading edge of the Reverie wing.

With the endplates off, I gave the wing a quick blast with a claybar followed by some polishing.

I’ve decided I really don’t enjoy applying stuff like PPF, vinyl, stickers, etc- I just don’t have the patience for it. This went half decent though.

The only thing I’m not really happy with is the trailing edge. I should have left a few inches so I could wrap it over the sharp edge and tack it down on the underside, but I didn’t leave enough of a lip - so couldn’t overcome the slight rigidity of the PPF and get it to stick. This left me with trimming the edge with a blade, which is OK - but a bit tatty in a couple of spots. I’ll tidy it up when I have time.

Not quite a pro job, but definitely good enough to keep the carbon protected until I consider a proper job (which might be never).

2 Likes