2.4 Accord engine

My friend gerry is a honda mechanic and currently we are knocking ideas about for an engine conversion.

We thought about the 2.4 from the new accord (these should be cheap as they are not as sought after as the K20) with a K20a Head. With uprated internals like j.e pistons, knife edge crank etc he seems to think it could make well over 240hp and do it safely due to the stronger bottom end. The only two things that are making me question the idea are

1. Cooling - The engine would obviously run very hot.

2. Weight - id imagine a 2.4 block would add a fair bit of weight over the rear axle and i dont want to destroy the sublime handling of the car.

Does this conversion seem feasible to any of the spanner men here? Obviously there would be a lot of work involved but it could be a stonking conversion if it works

Size?

I suggest you have a chat with Mr Scuffham and yes what you are talking about is possible.

ian, it would be a 2.4ltr engine using the bottom end and block of the accord 2.4 four pot with the k20 type r head.

Randy, who is Mr scufffham? Do you know if this conversion is already being built?

Oh, I’m sure you would have made his aquaintance by now if only he wasn’t banned from posting on this site.
You’ll find the little knuckle-dragger over on SELOC, easily recognisable by the lack of opposable thumbs.

not a popular chap then? if thats the case, was the idea of asking him advice meant to be took in jest?

Well, if Mr S was an organ-grinder - Randy would be his chimp.

Only (half) joking! Pop over to SELOC; do a search, plenty of info on Honda conversions.

not a popular chap then? if thats the case, was the idea of asking him advice meant to be took in jest?

He’s fine, just rather frank and direct and upset Mr Admin.

Knows his Loti.

Ian

FFS, if you’ve got nothing to say then say nothing. You may disagree with his online persona. But attempting to c*nt him up on a forum he can’t reply to speaks volumes. Looking at your contribution to the ‘community’ so far - reveals nothing but vacant claims and a small collection of cheap shots. By comparison Simon has probably been the single biggest contributor of knowledge to the Elise community - Fact.

Still waiting BTW for the results of the wonder exhaust. I note on Seloc you made a lot of claims back in May about the forthcoming results of your new manifold. Nothing heard since…

Koopa,

If the head from a K20A fits then the bore must be similar and it must be a “taller” engine and get the extra .4l from stroke?

The best way to find out would be to compare the bore and stroke of both engines… I can’t see it running any hotter than a K20A… Why would it?

With a 2.4, although you may squeeze 240 bhp out of it it’ll probably make a shedload more torque than the K20A (and not rev as high), and as we all know, BHP sells cars, torque wins races

Koopa,

If the head from a K20A fits then the bore must be similar and it must be a “taller” engine and get the extra .4l from stroke?

The best way to find out would be to compare the bore and stroke of both engines… I can’t see it running any hotter than a K20A… Why would it?

With a 2.4, although you may squeeze 240 bhp out of it it’ll probably make a shedload more torque than the K20A (and not rev as high), and as we all know, BHP sells cars, torque wins races

remarklima - i thought it might run hotter for silly reasons. For example, the block might take up more space in the already hot and cramped bay.

He is ready to start work on the engine immediatly and has a k20 head ready to use. I would just need to buy a used 2.4 Vtec 160hp and the uprated internals and ancillaries.
I completely agree r.e torque being the defining factor. Imagine if we bolt on the jackson racing supercharger too

Blime guys, the heat seems to have got in here! Play nicely.

Facts, well meaning opinions, and playful banter welcome.

Ian

trys to install remote thermostat in forum thread

LOL!

Nice.

[quote
Still waiting BTW for the results of the wonder exhaust. I note on Seloc you made a lot of claims back in May about the forthcoming results of your new manifold. Nothing heard since… [/quote]

Because I crashed the car, sorry, my fault: front clam, crash structure, front undertray, oil cooler, splitter to replace.
Thought I mentioned it before.

BTW, most bits already painted, should have the car back before the end of the month.

But there were some results, look at the threads.
And there will be more.

meant to ask uldis, you are still running the VHPD? what sort of power is your car making?

VHPD yes, only rebuilt by Simon Erland (the lad that receives lots of grief from some people, mainly the ones who have already swapped engines)

It did 225BHP on Jim’s manifold, but we reverted back to 210 BHP, as it was running dangerously lean.
After I get it back from repairs I can try a new fuel pump and a quieter silencer so I can get to the 225BHP not being lean.
Who knows, maybe I get a bit more?

i must confess i do love the VHPD when its right. Mine has been fantastic since its rebuild and is feeling a lot better now it has the castrol 10w 60 in it too. I just feel that the VHPD is best left unaltered. As in, much more power would be troublesome