192 Upgrade?

I have an almost stock 177bhp car (with SS exhaust and carbon airbox). Car will be used about 85%road 15%track. Thinking about saving for some upgrades next year should I:
a) Leave the engine alone and spend my hard-earned elsewhere.
b) Get the 192 upgrade.
c) Go down the Emerald route
d) Honda transplant (not really got the � for that one tho’ )

Benja

First thing to do is upgrade your brakes ie braided hoses, Castrol SRF fluid, & new pads (preferably Pagid RS14 but Mintex 114 are good too). Changing the pads only, will in any event enhance your road driving experience!

Then book yourself 3 or 4 trackdays PLUS some instruction. (Put some money on one side for a set Yoko 48 tyres too!)

Lastly, time to spend some money on the engine upgrade. What you do is then down as to how much you can afford!

Enjoy

Benja

Then book yourself 3 or 4 trackdays PLUS some instruction. (Put some money on one side for a set Yoko 48 tyres too!)

Lastly, time to spend some money on the engine upgrade. What you do is then down as to how much you can afford!

Enjoy

Cheers Pesky, these things were pretty much implicit in the plan! Day with Andrew Walsh week after next and although I cannot make Oulton Park on the 12/12 you will certainly see me at some track days next year…

Benja,

don’t worry with the engine mods, your std engine has plenty of ooomph for the first year of tracking, when you’re learning the dynamics of your car.
Besides, there’s not a lot of difference anyway, 190 feels just easier to rev above 7000rpm.

What Pesky said: brakes, SS lines and pads are a must. And for the fluid, I know that for Pesky only the best will do , but Castrol Response Plus works perfectly as well (as is 1/4 the price of the SRF).
Then you will be spending money on tyres and fuel. Not much you can do there.

And, when the time comes to upgrade, I would suggest the Emerald way, simply because it leaves the door open for the rest of the mods, you can map the ECU to your hart’s content.
Honda? don’t think about it for now, you’d be surprised how much you can extract from the curent setup.

Save a little money for new brake disks - the standard ones aren’t that good, ie they may crack (very small hairline) around the drilled holes - Geary’s ali belled ones are best…but only change if you have to.

Also a harness bar and 4/5/6 point harness is IMHO an absolute minimum requirement for a trackday - sort of a no brainer along with a decent helmet and some gloves…oh and driving boots!!!

I don’t have a harness, and don’t plan to

Why? I don’t move at all in the car. I even hope I could move more.
But that’s because I have a big bum

(really, I mean it!)

But the driving shoes and gloves improved my driving tremendously. Now I can press one pedal at a time!

Good advice above but if putting on big mileage A048’s on the road can be a tad expensive , so I’ve got spare set of rims - Toyo’s for road use - 48’s for the track…

Don’t forget the Exiges.com sunscreen