115 degrees!!!

SNAP!

My mate from Prodrive is looking into it mate, may even have a ‘spare’ one. I will keep u posted. Tried to send that file to you but got a message back saying either file is too big or your mailbox is full, file size was 2.02Mb

I will try to send it zipped just in case it is too big for hotmail server.

Rich.

Can I get that file too?

Rover part number for the 82 thermostat is GTS282.

Thank Phil

Elise parts.com do the guts of a 82 degree thermostat for �9.99

Uldis, should have gone to your yahoo address, let me know if you don’t get it.

Got it!

Thanks.

Thanks Andy,

I went to my local Rover dealer this morning but hadnt read your post on the part number.

They basically hadnt got a clue (Clarks remember) and said the only thermostat they had listed was the 88degree and that came as a kit at �30!!!

So Ive ordered one from Whales.

BUT

I went out in it earlier for half 45mins or so and it was totally fine. Sat in traffic for about 15mins and it just sat at 78 / 79 degrees (slightly colder than usual)

I think you may have right Uldis with something blocking the grille. Its a mystery ?!?

Then when I got back my mate who works at Matty’s popped around with a crimbo card and suggested it might be the header tank cap.
Theyve had quite a few Elises in lately with symptoms of Head gaskets / thermostat failures and the fault has been the cap not pressurising the system.

I bought a new cap this morning anyway so I’ll see how it goes?

Thanks for the help guys.
Rich, I got the email, cheers mate.
Its similar to the Elise / Exige manual that I downloaded from a link on here somewhere. Do a search for it in the archives, You might want to do the same. Its very useful.

I’ll keep you all posted

Hope everything is ok Robbo, to make sure you must put plenty of mileage on the beast over the festive season when the roads are quiet.

…when the roads are quiet.

Not the frigin’ ones I’ve been using!

Then when I got back my mate who works at Matty’s popped around with a crimbo card and suggested it might be the header tank cap.
Theyve had quite a few Elises in lately with symptoms of Head gaskets / thermostat failures and the fault has been the cap not pressurising the system.

I bought a new cap this morning anyway so I’ll see how it goes?

Robbo

any further prognosis yet ?

Hiya Guys,

Hope you all had a good Crimbo + New Year

Used the car quite a bit over the festive period…
Well, when I wasnt either hung over or too fat to get in

But seems Good news at the moment!
The temperature seems to be staying within a few degrees of 80 - 82 degrees.

With normal driving it stays at normal temp but as soon as you press the loud pedal, it starts to increase up to about 86ish and then drops again, seems as if the thermostat is working ok now.

I think the thermostat was just sticking but Ive ordered a new one from Whales just in case.

Touch Wood!

I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers Robbo, hope that’s it sorted…

hey Uldis… have you replaced your stat yet?

Not yet.

Bought it and is sitting there waiting for me to do it, but two things put me off:
-complexity of draining/bleeding the system (I have been told it’s not difficult but somehow don’t believe it)
-it’s still too cold to be playing out there with water.

Maybe I need some encouraging words…

I drained, refilled and bled the system with no problem…

Having jacked up the BACK of the car you don’t even need a pressure pump - just follow the directions in the workshop manual…

Is it cold up there then ??

Hi guys…

Got some good news… Its not the thermostat

And some bad news

Head Gaskets gone

Local dealer just tested it

Paul

That’s sad news, Paul…

Or, if the head is coming off anyway, a chance to really go to town on the head !!

Begga t’me hats bad news - make sure that they fit 1 off thOsse special Mike satur type HeaD GaSkets

There was a post on SELOC about a problem being diagnosed as a HGF and was the expansion tank cap gone wonky (IIRC!), make sure it’s 100% HGF and more importantly why did the Head Gasket fail?

I’ve seen it too many times where a head gasket is replaced only to go 2 weeks later as the real problem wasn’t fixed IYSWIM.

Thanks chaps,

Sorry I didnt reply sooner, feel pretty p*$$*d off at the moment!

The cars still under warranty with the garage I bought it from but Nick Whales are tying to do it for me on behalf of the other garage.
Just trying to sort it out

Mark, My mate who works at Paul Mattys told me about the header tank cap thing so I replaced it but its still occasionally blowing water out. Pressure must be building up somewhere

I took it into Whales and they did a ‘block’ test on the water and there were combustion fumes present
They said they would have done a compression test but I probably wouldnt have been able to drive it afterwards as it would have blown it completely!

Simon, Where would I get one of the super head gaskets from? Has anybody fitted one? Are they much better than the standard one?

One other question, While its all off, Should I get the verniers fitted do you think?

Thanks

Still sobbing Robbo