'04 S2 Improving throttle response

My '04 S2 has ITG Maxogen induction and a Stage 1 exhuast. Today I am driving loan a '06 Elise S with some unidentified exhaust, sounds damn nice though.

Apart from the near perfect H&T in the loaner which really p*sses me off the throttle response is far better. I assume the '06 if FBW which is to reason for this.

Somewhere some time ago I read about “teflon coated throttle cables” improving throttle response. Sounds like a windup, is it? If not anyone know any more?

Apart from this anything I can do to improve the existing repsonse?

(Next post about lowering the throttle pedal!)

Lightweight flywheel?

Lightweight flywheel?

Don’t say that

I can’t do that myself! If it is the answer then so be bit but I’d rather a DIY job for an amateur mechanic with a new socket set from Halfrauds.

Anyone else or am I doomed

an 04 should be better than a 06 ?

your prob just thinking about torque that the S has at lower revs, not throttle response.

Check to see if your foam filter needs to be cleaned and see if you have excessive play in your cable…

an 04 should be better than a 06 ?

your prob just thinking about torque that the S has at lower revs, not throttle response.

I’m talking about sitting in neutral blipping the throttle. This '06 is instantaneous where as my Exige “builds”. The most accurate way I can describe it is the difference between sport mode on and off on BMW M cars where the throttle response is remapped to open more for less pedal travel.

I’ll look more closely at mine when I get it back, I’m pretty sure there’s no play in the cable or assembly. But, that’s got to be the logical starting point if in general an '04 would be better than an '06.

Cheers

I ve always thought the throttle response is poor on the Yota N/A cars, mines an 05 (pre FBW) and it is supposed to be worse with FBW. It is maybe a characteristic of modern engines, strangled by emissions regs etc.?? Trouble is I grew up with the hair trigger instant response of 205 1.9 gti engines, and to be honest no car I ve had since has ever matched that overall package for sheer fun and the feeling of being in total control of the car via the throttle.

The Yota, is a charmless engine it has to be said, despite it’s undoubted technical achievement.

The H&T issue: I got a solution using a brake pedal extender from the States, cost �200 + after Customs had their cut so was expesive for a bit of aluminium and some Allen bolt but it works very well. Sector 111 did them but very hard to find on their site…

I ve always thought the throttle response is poor on the Yota N/A cars, mines an 05 (pre FBW) and it is supposed to be worse with FBW. It is maybe a characteristic of modern engines, strangled by emissions regs etc.?? Trouble is I grew up with the hair trigger instant response of 205 1.9 gti engines, and to be honest no car I ve had since has ever matched that overall package for sheer fun and the feeling of being in total control of the car via the throttle.

The Yota, is a charmless engine it has to be said, despite it’s undoubted technical achievement.

The H&T issue: I got a solution using a brake pedal extender from the States, cost �200 + after Customs had their cut so was expesive for a bit of aluminium and some Allen bolt but it works very well. Sector 111 did them but very hard to find on their site…

Agreed, not “in love” with the engine like I was with some cars. But changing from my stage 1 exhaust to a 2Bular might help

I saw the H&T pad from Sector 111 and made a quick dummy one. I didn’t get on with it I found I was catching my foot on it a bit which was distracting. I only tried it for an afternoon and it was just a block of wood taped to the pedal so maybe not a particularly fair test but it put me off a bit.

Going to investigate the accelerator position fully first.

Edit:

Okay, just found the pedal box adjustment thread.

It seems you are referring to the same thing as me in my thread about trying to make my S2 Exige feel more like my S1 Elise, “a prod of the pedal gave a you a push in the back…The Exige is more like a modern tourer, and needs more of a push on the accelerator for the same result”

The ‘S’ Elise was certainly introduced to attempt to give more low down torque, so whilst you think its better than your earlier Elise, I suspect you wouldnt find the same in a 111R / S2Exige
I am also interested in any ideas to make throttle response better, but there’s not much hope for me when the general consensus is that FBW makes it worse.

Hmm. The 2ZZ should be much better responding to throttle than the 1zz in the elise S.

I have driven both engines in my MR-S and the 2ZZ is a definite improvement in all aspects barr some negligible low down torque. Throttle response should be better. Could be an exhaust/cat issue as the 2ZZ is very sensitive to exhaust config.