S1 Exige Conversion

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S1 (series 1)
jamesjeffery

It certainly helps when sanding them being on the car! Unfortunately does mean everything they're attached to gets covered in dust so not looking forward to cleaning that all up. Hopefully an air compressor can blow most of the crap off!

I wish the car was jacked up a bit as it is pretty achy on the back if you don't have a little stool. Be interesting to see what progress is made to it in the next week, times running out to get it all finished.
Sub Boy

Great progress! Yes is hard to see your car completely covered in filler dust.....it just gets everywhere!
Looking forward to seeing what the colour is you are going for.
jamesjeffery

Cheers pal! Got something a little special (to me anyway) to share tomorrow.
jamesjeffery

Yesterday I picked up my interior pieces from the flocking company. Really happy with how they look, I know they're perhaps not for the purists, but they're just what I was after.

The Exige logo came out great, really bold and striking on the dash piece. The flocking is really tough and resilient so I'm sure the logo isn't going anywhere!

The finish changes in different sunlight. When no sun they are pretty much jet black, the company uses this colour for all the racing dashboards they do. However in the sun they glisten but never glare which is what I think would have happened if I went for carbon fiber.

I can't wait to get them on the car when everything is being reassembled, seeing what the door pieces look like against the fresh paint. Like I said not to everyone's taste but I'm very happy I decided to take the plunge. For those interested, the company is called 'Thomas and Vines' close to Watford, website is www.flocking.co.uk
kevinbe111

Looks great, didn’t realise you could flock a logo :thumbup:
deggles

Those flocked interior bits look great, can't say I've ever been a fan of the cheap plastic on the centre tunnel and the steering column shroud, definitely an improvement in my eyes :thumbup:
jamesjeffery

Cheers guys, I'm really happy with it all! If the gear lever surround and handbrake covers don't look great painted I'll flick them as well.

I forgot to say but the process to get the logo flocked was give it to the company pre-sprayed and with the stencil on, they then applied the glue all over, removed the stencil and finally applied the flock. So the logo is the painted silver and the flock surrounds everywhere else. The fact I did l the initial spraying and stencil myself it brought the price down for that piece which was handy.
jamesjeffery

Boring job today but decided to clean up the undertray. A while back I bought a few Elise-shop magic sponges, one I used here and the other I'll use on the interior. I forgot to take a picture of this side before, but you can see the difference between the two sides where the sponge really cleared up the grime after a bit of scrubbing.

Pretty clean but shame this side isn't really seen.

The side facing the road is a lot more beaten up, with scratches and dents from 23 years of driving.

In hindsight I should have started on this side first as I was fairly bored after spending over 20 odd minutes on the other side, but still cleaned it up a bit, not like you can see it anyway l.

I also saw the screws on my diffuser had rusted a little being stored outside, so I taped up around them and took a wire brush over them. I then painted some Hammerite to hopefully keep them looking black

Ladders

jamesjeffery wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:17 pm Image
Yesterday I picked up my interior pieces from the flocking company. Really happy with how they look, I know they're perhaps not for the purists, but they're just what I was after.
The flocking is a great idea! Very motorsport.

How hard wearing is it? Although hopefully it’s all in places where you won’t have much wear against it.
jamesjeffery

It feels really hard wearing. I mean I haven't had a proper go at seeing how tough but I'm surprised how well the flocking seems to have secured the material to the pieces. Main place I tested with my finger was around the Exige logo and it didn't look to be going anywhere soon which is good!