Cracked Manifold on K - What are the options

<Archived> Even supercars have their flaws..
stevegreen

Re: Cracked Manifold on K - What are the options

Post by stevegreen » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:02 am

That's interesting - where did you get your manifold from?

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:45 pm

Sinclaires ordered and fitted it for me, but you can buy it directly from Janspeed, I doubt it would affect the warranty if you fit it yourself.

stevegreen

Post by stevegreen » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:32 pm

OK had a look at their web page

Janspeed Lotus Elise 1.8I, Sport 135, 111S 08/96 > 12/00 S1 Cabriolet Stainless Manifold (SM999RC) Janspeed Price:
�440.99
inc VAT

* Equal lengths and optimum bore sizing ensures excellent performance
* Mandrel formed bends minimise loss of tube volume
* Hand made on individual jigs to give a perfect fit
* [color:"red"] 18 month guarantee [/color]

which given the recent company history might be the same as a lifetime warranty.

Incidentally, I was in Kwik Fit today and noticed that they had a big Janspeed dispay and a book of all the parts for the various manufacturers - but no Lotus listed!

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:23 am

Incidentally, I was in Kwik Fit today and noticed that they had a big Janspeed dispay and a book of all the parts for the various manufacturers - but no Lotus listed!
Whoa, whoa, whoa!.......Sweet child o mine! You were where?!

On a serious note. Does/would the lack of a flexi section on the eliseparts manifold affect the life of the part. I mean on Seans car the engine is more rigidly mounted much reducing the problem but on a standard car the engine can move around quite a bit.- 'Something' has to give! For instance the Tubular manifold has sliding sections/springs at the collectors which would help this.

stevegreen

Post by stevegreen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa!.......Sweet child o mine! You were where?!
The guys at my local Kwik Fit are excellent. I'd rather trust them than many companies out there in the Lotus community.
On a serious note. Does/would the lack of a flexi section on the eliseparts manifold affect the life of the part. I mean on Seans car the engine is more rigidly mounted much reducing the problem but on a standard car the engine can move around quite a bit.- 'Something' has to give! For instance the Tubular manifold has sliding sections/springs at the collectors which would help this.
The Eliseparts one does have slip joints but from the photo its not obvious how these are connected?

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Ooops, just read the description on eliseparts.

I had a similar exhaust on the racer for years and the slip joints had no form of connection, it just relies on the fact that it can't expand enough to fall apart. It really was never an issue and worked perfectly.

Anyway Mr green. Have you decided which option to go for? Just to be the Devils Advocaat for a moment, while the Eliseparts does looks to be the best would there be any benefit to having it if you don't remap?

stevegreen

Post by stevegreen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Anyway Mr green. Have you decided which option to go for? Just to be the Devils Advocaat for a moment, while the Eliseparts does looks to be the best would there be any benefit to having it if you don't remap?
[image]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... xtras1.jpg[/image]

You 'aving a laff?

Whilst the Eliseparts may be the best one commercially available - failing any input regarding the Piper manifold - I'm still torn between that and the pikey option .

Ultimately, I don't see the k has a long term future in the car and don't want to invest too heavily in it

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:34 pm

failing any input regarding the Piper manifold - I'm still torn between that and the pikey option
Well duh! you are from up North!

I can't find any useful details on the Piper ones at all.

elise_s1

Post by elise_s1 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:51 am

From opinions heard on SELOC the solid Piper is similar to the Eliseparts, IIRC with marginally smaller diameter pipes.
If the rest of the exhaust isn't full "big bore" the Piper seems a more sensible choice. It also accepts the heatshields from the Elise S2 (cheaper and more effective than the Exige ones)
HTH
Carlo