Throttle Bodies...

<Archived> Even supercars have their flaws..
robbo

Throttle Bodies...

Post by robbo » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:56 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering how many of you have had sticking problems with your throttle bodies?

I know Mr Lane has recently had some scary moments with it sticking full on but just wondered if anybody else had.

Mine have started sticking when cold and I have to force the pedal down to free them. Its definately not the cable as when its stuck, the cable flexes freely and you cant manually press the mechanism between the throttle bodies until it frees up!

Once free everything moves as usual.

Lotus have looked at it and agreed the throttle bodies are at fault but it seems a common problem so was wondering if anybody has fitted any aftermarket ones.

Lotus price is �1400 + vat (parts)
Ptp �599 + vat (same product I believe)

Anybody got any other suggestions

Ere we go again

stevegreen

Re: Throttle Bodies...

Post by stevegreen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:55 pm

An archive search should find more details on this - off the top of my head it can have somethng to do with a small plastic bush which can be replaced by a brass one which solves the problem - if I remember right there was an Oz company offering the kit?

mike lane

Post by mike lane » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:12 am

One of my symptoms was that it became harder and harder to push the pedal.

Then it jammed wide open...

I had a brass bush from AndyD, but that goes at the pedal end, not the engine end...

Update - Williams Lotus have phoned to say the car is ready for collection - they have modified the spring etc "a bit more", and it should not now be a problem...

Not sure if they want me to pay for this, seeing as they have modified it once before, but usually they are pretty good, and also they are talking to James at Lotus, so there may be further comment from him in due course.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:24 am

<cough> JENVEYS <cough>

mike lane

Post by mike lane » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:20 am

<cough> JENVEYS <cough>

<<Cough - Australia - Cough>> you beat me too it...

<<<Re-Cough - VAG engine should cure it - Re-Cough>>>

robbo

Post by robbo » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:37 am

Hiya guys,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Thanks for the advice.

My dealer is trying to get it sorted out with the warranty company at the moment.

Fingers crossed

robbo

Post by robbo » Tue May 04, 2004 3:03 pm

Hi guys,

I need some help here.

After about 2 months Warranty holdings have now refused to pay for my throttle bodies to be replaced!

They have now got to the point where I have to unstick the butterflies by knocking the pulley free with a screw driver every time I start the thing.

They have said it is a not a failure of the part just basically wear and tear so they wont replace.

My question to all you guys is how many of you have had problems with them sticking or have heard of other Exiges/340R/190 owners experiencing the same problems.
My dealer have replaced a few and Ive heard of Mike Lane having problems but there must be a fair few others out there who have experienced problems.

Im going to throw it at Lotus next as its obviously a manufacturing problem. From what I have been told by my dealer Lotus know of this problem but have always refused to pay anything.

I think this is basically a load of rubbish as there is obviously a problem and I dont see why owners should have to pay out nearly �1700 for an 'original replacement' Yes �1700 parts!!

As I say if any of you have heard of problems please let me know

Cheers Paul

Mr Pesky

Post by Mr Pesky » Tue May 04, 2004 3:40 pm

Paul

That's typical of Warranty Holdings from what I have heard. Like a fool, I paid �600 plus for a 2nd year warranty, before I heard of horror stories about the difficultities of them paying out. (RussT managed to get a result, with massive help from LRV, but his experience convinced me not to renew the damn policy the following year!).

Apart from your's & Mike's, I'm not aware of any else having problems with the throttle bodies/butterflies sticking. No doubt those who have, will let you know.

Can you get your dealer on your side to argue the case with WH or Lotus? If not, may be it's a case for getting an independent motor engineer to inspect/report on the problem, with a view to taking WH to the small claims court!

Either way, it's a real bummer - wish I could assist further, cos something ain't right for you to be treated like this.

RussT

Post by RussT » Tue May 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Paul,

get an independant engineers report. If it is in your favour, hammer WH with it & don't let go - threaten court action etc. Eventually they will cave in & agree some sort of repair. Of course, this pnly applies if the engineer confirms it is not wear & tear!!!!

robbo

Post by robbo » Tue May 04, 2004 4:15 pm

Cheers Rob,

I did have one result because they did pay for the HGF but now they are in receivership I think they are being even worse than ever to agree to pay out!

To be honest My dealer have gone out of their way to help me and as I didnt have the car from them I dont think its right to pester them too much yet.

The garage I bought it from have virtually palmed all the warranty work off onto my Lotus dealer as they didnt want to undertake the work. They didnt want to do the HGF either!

At the moment Im going to get some advice on where I stand and then get in touch with Lotus but just wanted a bit of ammunition on my side first.

I can see me ending up having to get them re conditioned or replace them.

If anybody knows of anywhere that could recondition them (preferably local to Brum) I would appreciate it.

Thanks again