Alternators

<Archived> Even supercars have their flaws..
stevegreen

Re: Alternators

Post by stevegreen » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:18 pm

Checked spec of alternators with Geary and Simon S was right they are specc'd at 40 amp hour. Not sure that these are enough and although Geary has been good and offered a trial, I thought I would play conservative and get a higher rated unit.Halfords were very helpful and had 2 alternatives on the counter 2 hours after a phone call. Unfortunately, neither was any good.So it was off to the local remanufacturer in Wakefield - �75 cash for a unit with the same spec. I left the old unit and returned in an hour for the new one. They had had a chance to strip the old one and seemed to be amazed at the poor state it was in. I made my excuses and left...It comes with a 12 month warranty (same as halfords) so hopefully it will either die within 11 months or go on solidly for 3 years...fingers crossed!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:12 pm

Steve,You should have picked their brains whilst you were there, they may have been able to offer advice on an alternative [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:42 pm

Just lifted this from the Lotus Life website .. guess Simon wont mind .. posted 25 January 2003 13:02 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------There are two reasons why they fail,1) Heat2) VibrationThe std one is a Rover part, (Magnet Marel1), P/N 63321238A.Normally the reg pack in the back fails.They are something like �200 new.There is an up-dated reg pack avaliable for them from Cargo (just about any factors will dieal with them) It's a bolt-on replacement for the std item, P/N 136432. These seem to be less prone to vibration related faliure.Alternatively, you could change it for another type, The Motorsport cars used to run ND (Nippon Denso) Alts, they are avaliable in mush smaller/lighter form and seem far less suseptable to faliure. (although they are not imune to it!)Simon (S)HTH

stevegreen

Post by stevegreen » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:10 pm

quote:Originally posted by Phil Davies:Steve,You should have picked their brains whilst you were there, they may have been able to offer advice on an alternative [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]Phil was keen to keep a 12 months warranty and didn't want to go into too uch detail of off it was off and what the problems were...

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:24 pm

If any of you need an alterntor I have one going at half the price of the new one. Its had 5000miles of use.cheers matt

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:00 am

Anybody want a new alternator for �25!!!or �500 towards unexpected repair bills up to 3 times a year!!"AA parts and labour cover" It'll cost you �48 a year and all you pay is a �25 excess if you make a claim. Seems like a good alternative for those of you whose warrenty has expired.Anybody want more info, send me an e-mail with your address and if you are currently an AA member and I'll send you details and application form or come and find me at Hethel on the 15th and I'll sign you up. I'm the one with the Yellow Exige (well it had to be yellow didn't it!!!)[This message has been edited by Dave Kelly (edited 14 February 2003).]

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:10 pm

Dave, This sounds too good to be true!What is covered? can you send me the details and sign up form, or tell me where to get them.Many thanks.

Trudy Davies

Post by Trudy Davies » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:55 pm

Will that cover my car too [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]Phil

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:13 am

Yes sorry people, I got the price wrong, it's not �45 it �48/membership year.I'll post a reply in a minute with brief details of cover. If you want the booklet with terms and conditions and application form, send me a mail with an address to send it to. Oh let me know if your not allready a member, cos you need to be, and I can do that as well.Wot A Very Nice Man [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:18 am

Briefly the cover consists of:- For AA members (personal cover or vehicle based) they can take out parts and labour cover for �48/membership year (pro-rata, i.e. �12 less than 3months remaining, �24 less than 6months, �36 9months etc) then, in the event of a breakdown and the vehicle needing the insured part to be repaired or replaced, subject to authorization of the claim, the repair cost will be covered up to a maximum of �500 of which you pay a �25 excess. For e.g.. Alternator fails, car breaks down due to the battery going flat, AA patrol comes out, car is recovered to the garage, new alternator is say �400 and �100 labour to fit it, Total bill �500 of which you pay �25 and the garage claims �475 from the AA. Job done!!! And you can claim up to 3 times a year!!!! Obviously there are exclusions for e.g. fair wear and tear, car must be under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles etc Oh and there is one that says "Use of vehicle for any sort of competition, rallies or racing of any kind" but correct me if I'm wrong, track days are non competitive arn't they, we are not allowed to race each other are we [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image] [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image] The cover is for an individual car and therefore 2 cars, 2 lots of �48. It's not a full blown warranty where you can just drive your car into the garage and say fix that and the AA pick up the tab, but for things like a faulty gearbox, broken up clutch or release bearing (and we know how common that is!!), Alternators, starter motors, drive shafts, cooling system, brakes, steering, suspension, fuel system etc etc it's a good cover to ease the cost of some of the more unexpected repair bills. I'll send you a booklet about it together with a partially filled in form and the prepaid envelope to send it off with. Let me know if you are possibly wanting 2 cars covered and I'll send 2 forms. All you'll need to do is fill in the members name and address, AA membership number, your credit/debt card details, amount payable depending on when your membership expires (see above), Vehicle details, and a couple of signatures in the marked boxes.Hope this helps, I'm affraid the cover is not available through the AA's web site as yet so you'll need a form from me to get it. [image]ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image][This message has been edited by Dave Kelly (edited 14 February 2003).]