Exige S RGB #138 - a journey towards perfection, well hopefully

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
Fonzey

I *think* it's just the cables that changed so probably an easy enough fix, but might also be a case of just doing some adjustment too. I've driven a bunch of S2 cars and all have had varying quality of shift - but the 2010 ones I've driven have been a good chunk worse.

The US forums complain about 2zz/C64 shifting all the time, not sure if they got a different setup on the 'federal' spec cars or what but the LETSLA linkage and cable upgrades seem a lot more common over there, maybe they're just more picky... but it's good in a way because it means there are options on the market! @seriouslylotus used to have some shifter cable upgrades on his site but struggling to find them now - maybe worth a call.

It may just be that swapping cables is a good excuse to have it all apart and rebuild with a fresh adjustment. The gearbox internals are all identical across the range, as is the shifter mechanism as far as I know... so not much left to rule out.
andyzim

The car looks amazing, I hope ownership treats you well. If you are anything like I've been this year you'll just be looking for excuses and spare time to go out for a drive now.
lotuslee

I am inclined to leave them and change all 4 in spring 2021, and just be careful between now and then.

I read somewhere that AD048s are not readily available anymore. If so, what alternatives are recommended - would be good if there is a touch more wet weather ability, just to hedge against being caught up in a shower.
[/quote]

I changed all 4 of mine to Yokohama V105 as this is what lotus use one the current Elise 220 models. I have done around 400 miles so far and they are pretty good in the dry.

Lankan

Fonzey wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:23 pm I *think* it's just the cables that changed so probably an easy enough fix, but might also be a case of just doing some adjustment too. I've driven a bunch of S2 cars and all have had varying quality of shift - but the 2010 ones I've driven have been a good chunk worse.

The US forums complain about 2zz/C64 shifting all the time, not sure if they got a different setup on the 'federal' spec cars or what but the LETSLA linkage and cable upgrades seem a lot more common over there, maybe they're just more picky... but it's good in a way because it means there are options on the market! @seriouslylotus used to have some shifter cable upgrades on his site but struggling to find them now - maybe worth a call.

It may just be that swapping cables is a good excuse to have it all apart and rebuild with a fresh adjustment. The gearbox internals are all identical across the range, as is the shifter mechanism as far as I know... so not much left to rule out.
Thanks again - I will investigate to see what the best course of action is. The LETSLA linkage seems an interesting option. When the gearbox was apart to install the Quaife ATB diff, no issues were reported with the box (Stephen Brear Gearboxes did the work), and the gears do enagage as expected with no slop or crunching, it is just that it requires quite a bit of heft and planning, especially on the downshifts, and sometimes if I forget that it is not as fast as I am used to the revs have already dropped, which is what I find the most disconcerting. I may get used to it, but I would prefer to find a solution if one is available.
andyzim wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:23 pm The car looks amazing, I hope ownership treats you well. If you are anything like I've been this year you'll just be looking for excuses and spare time to go out for a drive now.
Thank you, and yes I hope to enjoy #138 to the max. Cannot wait for the next dry day as I don't think I will take it out in the wet just yet, and possibly until the tyres have been replaced and gearshift has been sorted.
lotuslee wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:24 pm
I changed all 4 of mine to Yokohama V105 as this is what lotus use one the current Elise 220 models. I have done around 400 miles so far and they are pretty good in the dry.

Excellent, thank you - will check them out. Are the V105s better in the wet when compared to the AD048s?
2010 Exige S RGB #138
andybond
Site Admin

I have the V105 on my exige and put @lotuslee onto them. They arent a bad road tyre at all.

You cant sadly get the Michelen PS4S in our sizes - I have checked as have run those with great success as well. They only come in 18inch + , the ps4 are in 16 inch availability but again , not our size. The MPSS is 17inch + as well.

Frustrating, as I really like the Michelen brand for tyres.
Lankan

andybond wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:41 pm I have the V105 on my exige and put @lotuslee onto them. They arent a bad road tyre at all.

You cant sadly get the Michelen PS4S in our sizes - I have checked as have run those with great success as well. They only come in 18inch + , the ps4 are in 16 inch availability but again , not our size. The MPSS is 17inch + as well.

Frustrating, as I really like the Michelen brand for tyres.
Good to hear that the V105s are a good road tyre.

Pity that the correct sized Michelins aren't available for the Exige. I had the PS4's on the S2000, which had 17-inch rims (F:215/45 & R:245/40), so thought at least they might be available.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
TJS

I find the front A048s are a liability when cold so take it easy until they warm up (along with the rest of the car). Something to bear in mind is the Yoko Advan V105 is in the process of being replaced by the new Advan Sport V107. I don't think they are yet available in the size you need but this could be different next spring. If you are not desperate for tyres it could be worthwhile waiting, alternatively buy now before the V105 is out of stock.

The 2010 gear change is especially poor. My cables have been adjusted twice, gearbox oil replaced and a new clutch fitted (it would jamb in 2nd occasionally when changing down) all with only a minor improvement. It certainly isn't the slick rifle bolt gear change the car needs and deserves. However, I have learned to drive around the issue ... annoying for a sports car.
Lankan

TJS wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:02 am I find the front A048s are a liability when cold so take it easy until they warm up (along with the rest of the car). Something to bear in mind is the Yoko Advan V105 is in the process of being replaced by the new Advan Sport V107. I don't think they are yet available in the size you need but this could be different next spring. If you are not desperate for tyres it could be worthwhile waiting, alternatively buy now before the V105 is out of stock.

The 2010 gear change is especially poor. My cables have been adjusted twice, gearbox oil replaced and a new clutch fitted (it would jamb in 2nd occasionally when changing down) all with only a minor improvement. It certainly isn't the slick rifle bolt gear change the car needs and deserves. However, I have learned to drive around the issue ... annoying for a sports car.
Understood, and thanks for your feedback. If that is a case then the AD048s are not fit for purpose as a road tyre. Since understeer was prevalent throughout the 2-hr drive, which I put down to 10-year old front tyres, but seems like that is to be expected (even from new tyres?). Also, one should not be expected to have to push hard to warm the tyres up (for them to perform correctly) if they are on public roads.

Interesting to hear about the V107s, and since I am not planning on changing tyres until next Spring I will have time to evaluate all options.

Indeed the gear change is particularly poor, and one needs to recalibrate one's senses and reactions to compensate, which is quite a compromise. Having said that once the gear lever goes across the gate, it doe slot into gear without issue (i.e. without slop or crunching), but the process of getting there is very annoying indeed, However, on a leisurely drive it does not really matter, but then I didn't get #138 to just cruise around.
2010 Exige S RGB #138
thommo

Glad you finally hit the road👍Looking forward to more reports.
Exige S1 No: 139
High_octane

Great updates as usual.

The car looks stunning. Shame about the Michelin PS4s, I've just had a set installed on my daily, and I rate them, didn't realise they arent available in the smaller sizes.

Keep the photos coming, and enjoy every minute.