2006 Exige S

This is where we proud owners can upload information and pictures of our pride-and-joys (their Exige that is..)
Fonzey
Reactions:

Re: 2006 Exige S

Post by Fonzey »

Well first casualty of the installation... AC condenser wasn't coming out without a fight so I've had to butcher it and one of the pipes to extract it.

Pro Alloy do a condenser which is about the same price as I can get an OEM one for but not sure about the pipe yet, might have to get one made up if I can't source one. Dealer list price for one is far too much...

andybond
Reactions:

Post by andybond »

Where abouts are you in the UK @Fonzey ? I have a spanking new condenser on my car that isn’t used. If your local I can come yo you . Or you to me and we can extract it.

Fonzey
Reactions:

Post by Fonzey »

Hi Andy, Selby so just up the road from you I believe?!

Very kind offer, I assume you has it replaced then decided to delete anyway?! I'd happily come liberate it from your car but it might be a bigger job than anticipated. To get it out I think we'd also need to drain/remove your rad and chargecooler pre-rad so maybe one to think about?

seriouslylotus
Reactions:

Post by seriouslylotus »

I have new ones in stock ( same as those supplied by pro-alloy)
https://www.seriouslylotus.com/aircon-c ... and-europa
Still available with 10% discount until tomorrow morning using the code MINCEPIES2019
Last edited by seriouslylotus on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andybond
Reactions:

Post by andybond »

Fonzey wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Very kind offer, I assume you has it replaced then decided to delete anyway?! I'd happily come liberate it from your car but it might be a bigger job than anticipated. To get it out I think we'd also need to drain/remove your rad and chargecooler pre-rad so maybe one to think about?
I completely forgot about that.

You are correct, I replaced then it failed elsewhere so I gave up.

Fonzey
Reactions:

Post by Fonzey »

seriouslylotus wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:39 pm
I have new ones in stock ( same as those supplied by pro-alloy)
https://www.seriouslylotus.com/aircon-c ... and-europa
Still available with 10% discount until tomorrow morning using the code MINCEPIES2019
Cheers Dave, will get mine out tonight hopefully to fully evaluate the damage. 90% sure I need a new one.
andybond wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:51 pm
Fonzey wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 pm

I completely forgot about that.

You are correct, I replaced then it failed elsewhere so I gave up.
It's a shame they're not more accessible. Based on my experience with my clam this week I'm fairly confident that a pair of hands could get your clam off in 30mins or so - but that would still leave the radiator shroud needing to come off, and although I've not done that yet I'm pretty sure that means detatching the oil coolers (hence losing some oil), draining your rad and chargecooler... and well it's just going to be a lot of work and mess.

It's a shame because I'd much rather help you recoup some money than send even more to Pro Alloy (sorry Dave :lol: ) and as an added bonus I could probably nick the pipe that I need from you too :twisted: It's a lot of work though, I wouldn't want to put your car through it unless you otherwise had an excuse to take the front end apart! Really appreciate the offer though.

I'm probably stating the obvious by posting this, but obviously I now have my clam off. I did it over a couple of nights just while I waited for a spare pair of hands to help lift it off. All in all it was probably 45-50mins effort total though, doing it all from memory from the last time I did one (Elise) in 2017ish.

Thought it was a good opportunity to play with timelapsing too, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sccxo5HOv0Q

Once off I quickly made a mess of my AC system (as above) and then moved onto getting the stainless brake hoses fitted.

I'll aim to refill the fluid and bleed next week, so then my car is kinda mobile again. I can back it out of the garage and park it in straight again, now the clam is off I shouldn't need much access to the NS of the car so I can give myself more room to get the rest of the chargecooler install done.

thommo
Reactions:

Post by thommo »

The video is very entertaining. Did the bloke in the check shirt just happen to be passing?

Fonzey
Reactions:

Post by Fonzey »

thommo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 am
The video is very entertaining. Did the bloke in the check shirt just happen to be passing?
:lol: No that's my neighbour Geoff. He's a bit of a petrolhead himself so often shows an interest and is always keen to lend a pair of hands! He came along to the LoT Croft day last year as a passenger, think he very nearly caught the bug but so far has been able to resist. He suggested that we collaborate on a Caterham/Westfield build which sounds rather tempting :mrgreen:

ade
Reactions:

Post by ade »

Don't forget to copper slip every bolt on reinstall, also fit a stainless tow post and heater resistor pack as well if they have not been done.
When I redid my install, I also closed off any gaps with foam so all the air from the front went through the rads and didn't escape where there are gaps. This only was required when I ran the gearbox cooler via a laminova to keep the temps below 100 on track

Fonzey
Reactions:

Post by Fonzey »

Cheers Ade, stainless tow post is on the list. Mine looks pretty good for a 2006 with no signs of external corrosion, but you can see it's starting to rot from the inside out. It also feels like stainless tow posts seem to have got really expensive since I bought one for the Elise... Can't remember spending more than £50 on one, but some are knocking £85 now!

Heater resister pack/fan speed pack is the same thing I presume? Never touched it on my Elise and mercifully it never failed on me, but I shall be sure to investigate it here.

I've retained the original foam from the radiator which I'll use to close off the gaps, have some spare material I can use too if needed. Good tip!

As for copper slip, that's standard in my garage - and I've got a set of stainless fasteners to go back in even though all the ones that came out look mint.