New Garage Build

for any non Lotus car talk or projects.
MrP80

Good work. You’re not going to be short of space there!
kevinbe111

Not much happening due to the weather, so I've been thinking about internal lighting.

We have planning consent for a couple of Velux type roof lights in the garage (as shown in the model below), but can't decide if they are really necessary/beneficial. Either way I'll also be installing a minimum of 9x 72W LED Panels (1200mm x 600mm). What are your thoughts, will I regret not installing the Velux Windows???

tlracer

Yes, fit the biggest you can get in!

Even with good lighting units, you can't beat having natural light. I worked once in a building with none and it was awful...no idea what time of day/night it was, what the weather was like, etc. Might sound trivial but I would bet you'd notice.

Also they will give you ventilation and - when the sun is shining - a fantastic amount of free heat.
kevinbe111

tlracer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 pm Yes, fit the biggest you can get in!

Even with good lighting units, you can't beat having natural light. I worked once in a building with none and it was awful...no idea what time of day/night it was, what the weather was like, etc. Might sound trivial but I would bet you'd notice.

Also they will give you ventilation and - when the sun is shining - a fantastic amount of free heat.
Fair points, I never considered ventilation in the summer months and the natural light sounds like something not worth omitting from the build :thumbup:

The windows are spec'd at 78cm x 140cm, will consider increasing the width, but need to remain conscious of increasing costs, particularly as those windows are the price of new car mats! :crazy:
kevinbe111

Getting out of the ground; engineering bricks are up to DPC level and block work half way up to wall plate level. Older style facing bricks will be going up next week and possibly making a start on the new boundary wall.

Nice to get a feel for the size/layout. Internal floor area is approx. 7m x 7m, with a 1.8m oak veranda across the front. Garage door openings are just over 2.7m wide, with a 0.9m wide side entrance.

andybond
Site Admin

That garage is bigger than my first house!

Looks impressive and following with envy
kevinbe111

Cheers Andy :thumbup:

It was only 5 years ago we were living in a 2 bed terrace with a smaller footprint than the garage. It’s taken a lot of effort to get to this stage, so really looking forward to the end result :)
thommo

Looking good. Can’t wait to see the finished article