S1 Exige Conversion

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S1 (series 1)
jamesjeffery

The guy I bought my Exige wheels off also gave me a big box of bits and bobs he no longer needed after selling the car. From this I was able to salvage 2 SPAL fans in working order. My manual override fan had been seized for a while, so would be replaced by one of these.

As the radiator is so we'll tucked up inside I hadn't gotten round to sorting it out, but I think an override is definitely something handy to have if there are any traffic jams about. With a new Emerald set up to have the normal fan cut in much quicker when the temperature rises, I'm confident I can avoid any extreme heat! I'll go into more detail about the swap and Emerald later...

A trip to Junks left me extremely happy after getting arguably my most valued component for my conversion, a brand new perspex engine cover!

I always told myself that I'd only do a conversion if I was able to have the perspex tailgate. When Dom said he could make up the frame and the top grille piece, I raced away and got the last one of Junks' stock, so thanks so much for that!
stratosboy

great thread, will follow your build James.
I started a similar conversion a few years ago, really enjoyed it and I'm almost finished now, just getting new custom made loom fitted and car re-wired over next few weeks, if your interested to see mine it here: https://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vi ... =9&t=43531
Dom's Exige clam kit looks really good.
Good luck with rest of your project.
jamesjeffery

I have saved and screenshot many pics and info from your thread, car looks a beast! Hopefully we get them both done shortly, and thanks for doing your thread, has helped a lot with mine too 👍
stratosboy

cheers James, good to know it has been helpful to others. I got a lot of help from reading other builders too.
keep up the good work!
Emiel

Done this conversion in 2011/2012!

I did go for the motorsport look you do not like ;) standard exige rear clam (not the 3 piece), Motorsport Front splitter, original rear wing, motorsport engine cover and long roof.

In 2010 I could not set myself to buy an 18k GBP original exige and abuse it on track. Silly me (sold a 135R for good money so was almost a swap)

Good luck! Will follow with interest.
The Idea is to die young as late as possible.
Rob999

Nice one James, keep us going on the progress. I may catch up with you in Essex land at some point 👍
jamesjeffery

Emiel eeek I'm sorry 😂 I don't dislike the Motorsport, just not for me I don't think, it's the riveting everywhere in the 3 piece rear clam I think is the main thing I'm not 100% on and prefer the one piece, which is what you actually went for!

That's another good point about genuine Exiges, not only do I have no where near enough money for one, I do track it hard and to risk a genuine one was never work for me, so an imposter as good as I can get it is what I've gone for!
jamesjeffery

Definitely Rob, will be good to see you
Emiel

No worries James, just messing with you.

I love original cars, but if I can track a near copy I prefer that. To much love for an original car.

Will buy that when I am old and drive up and down to the pub ;)
The Idea is to die young as late as possible.
jamesjeffery

Another side project I had meant to do for a while was to repack my silencer. Often on track I was pushing the noise limits, especially Bedford where I have to lift past every single microphone, super annoying so it definitely needed doing.

In hindsight, perhaps it could have waited until the rear clam was off for the conversion, much easier job then but I wanted it done before a trackday to give it a good thrashing to settle down the new packing.

Bit of a tricky job on your own with the rear clam on, bit of balancing on a jack to undo both fixings into the ally boot floor, but manageable.

I'd researched online at other people's threads about how to go about cutting and what end to cut. Seemed straight forward so got the hack saw out and hacked away... turns out my silencer seemed to be backwards to other people's and the whole inner baffle came out too. This made getting the acousta-fil in and everything back together much harder than I'd hoped.

The state of the old baffle, definitely time for some new stuff.

Another issue I had was getting the two apart. With the limited tools I have at home I was able to borrow a mini racket, strapped it to a tree and yanked and pulled and twisted for ages to get them apart. A combination of brute force and a few large flat-heads (being careful not to bend the thin metal of the silencer) got the two pieces apart. A vice would have been much easier.

I had planned to cut the side that would leave the baffle secured inside, meaning it would be fairly easy to slide the new acousta-fil down and then just pop the other end back on. Instead had to wrap the acousta-fil as tightly as I could around the baffle and try to slide it down into the silencer without it catching on anything. On top of that, it kept getting stuck on the ring the baffle slides into at the bottom of the silencer casing, leaving me no way to reach down inside and tuck it out the way. Unfortunately i had to cut it the acousta-fil shorter than I initially wanted to avoid this.

It then took a lot of hammering and twisting to get the two pieces together, but after lining it up with the marks I'd scratched into the silencer before cutting to ensure the mounting brackets would all line up, it was ready to be welded.

Unfortunately the welder I used was pretty shoddy, fairly expensive and took AGES but thankfully did the job, if not the prettiest weld in the world. Next was the fiddly task getting it back onto the car with the clam on, but after a bit of fiddling it was all bolted up and ready for the trackday, which went well......

Snapped rear upright bolts threw me straight off, thankfully not into any barriers. No other damage, just one of those things you accept, fix and move on.