S1 Exige Conversion

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S1 (series 1)
lotuslee

That looks stunning ❤
ortope

Looks very good!

With this color you would need a set of silver decals, as far as I know.

:thumbup:
S1 #016
matt447

Looks amazing! Great choice!
Sub Boy

Excellent colour, it looks great, I bet you can’t wait to get it all together.
thommo

Classic colour!/ Good choice
Exige S1 No: 139
BACON

Looks great James :thumbup:
jamesjeffery

Here is how I found the car when I got to the bodyshop yesterday. The clams had been put on the car to save space with other bits scattered around the place.
I'll need to tape up and blow in some black paint for the intake on the roof to better match the black of the grille that has to go on, but this will be done later.

Due to lack of space I couldn't take the rear clam off, so decided to start on the interior. It was a bit tricky to remember the order everything had to go back on, essentially working in reverse of everything I've done before, but I started with the pull chord for the boot. It was pretty fiddly with the rear clam on as I had to make sure the washer and nut didn't fall off into the sill while trying to feed it through the two holes.

Next up were the speakers. The driver speaker covered the pull chord (hence the assembly order) but had to go on before the seats. I also added the cargo net hooks to the speakers too.

Seat belts were easy, just had to get the angle right to pull enough belt out to get the length for the bolt to line up.

I remembered from before the lack of space to attach the other seatbelt point to the seats once they are in the tub bolted down. Because of this I decided to bolt the seat belts onto the seat outside the car, then simply bolt them in place afterwards.

Interior partially finished. I will put the rest of the interior pieces back on outside the bodyshop to avoid getting covered in dust.

Some space came up so I took the front clam off to add some bits. I noticed the tow bar post had a slightly smaller lip on one side which I put facing forwards to get the tow bar hoop as far into the car/intake as possible.

Tow bar in place and bolted to the crash structure.
I noticed one of the driving light brackets had snapped, so I used some Loctite glue and braced it together to help bond it back together. I checked back in a few hours and it was rock solid so happy with the fix.

I removed the tape over the door hinge plate and roughly guessed the packer pieces to be equal both sides. I did originally plan to get the front clam secured that day which is why the door bars went on, then fit the doors onto the bar. However I thought the door would be too complicated and fiddly to put together on the car. I'll now take the front clam back off and fit everything onto that (headlight brackets/nose badge etc) and take the door bars off too and build them up off the car as well, then put it all back next weekend to get the door position correct against both clams and sill.

With the sills done I put on the door striker pins and interior light switches. All sprayed pieces haven't been polished yet, but this can be done around these pieces.

Space then became available to take the rear clam off to start building it up to be finalised on the car, but that wasn't the next priority.

Again trying to think the order things needed to go back on I went for the main engine finisher panel, as this is fitted under the roof. Looks really good in gloss black and tidies up the engine bay massively.

Next into the roof. I removed the paper and tape and cleaned off the dust and crap.

I places strips of rubber onto the roof where the roll bar goes and just behind the latches where the roof hits against the top of the sill to help with some vibration dampening.

Finally I peeled off the backing for the headliner and stuck it in place. I didn't use any other adhesive for the headliner so will see how long it lasts. I deliberately made it a bit tight against the edge of the recess to help with securing it too.
I also attached the window retention plates onto the roof and cut and stuck the large D weather seal at the front, but left the P seals for the side off for now.

I popped the rear screen into the slots and placed the roof in position. I left the front clamp off as well as the P weather seals for the sides off as I'll need to know where the top of the window comes up to to access the best place for the side seals to go, or if the P seals will even work.

I then turned my attention to the rear clam, cleaning up the numberplate lights as best I could.

Using black M4 bolts and a nut on the inside I had to fix these with the clam off, as unlike the original fixings there was no spire nuts type fixing for these so they can't be easily taken out with the clam in place, so hoping the bulbs don't fail any time soon.

Indicators and brake lights were next, easy to do secure.

I think the Laser Blue colour looks so much better with clear indicators all around.

The central brake light was pretty tricky to get into a decent position and took a lot of trial and error. It was especially hard as I had to guess from the inside, then walk round and see what it looked like from the outside.

I eventually got it to a point where it wasn't perfect but I kind of got fed up trying to get it any closer as I was wasting a lot of time. You can see the end closest the camera the rubber isn't perfectly flush against the clam, but this was as close as I had been able to get it so I felt was good enough.

I was going to do all the lights in one go, but couldn't find the bolts for the fog/reverse lights, so decided to hook up the lighting loom. You can see yellow tape where I positioned the plastic backing plates to secure the loom. I tried to attach the plates but I didn't have the right adhesive and to be honest felt I didn't need them, especially as they would block a lot of the access to the fog lights which would already be a pain to get to should I ever need to change a bulb.

Eventually I found the M4 bolts for the fog/reverse lights so on went the spire nuts and through went the loom, stopping at the rubber bung. I connected the loom to the lights and pulled the excess wiring back out so the reflectors went flush into the light housings.

Definitely worth getting new lights as they look great against fresh paint.

I was planning to put the grilles over the lights but as it hadn't been polished yet and I was running out of time, I decided this could be done afterwards and wanted to get the rear clam back on.

There were a few small things I wasn't able to sort on the rear clam, like the side intakes and drainage hole, but these can be sorted before the wheel arches go on.
I was a bit unsure the best way to go to get the rear clam on, either attaching the sheer panels to the clam first, trying to slide them in afterwards (which I remembered was a pain before and would definitely scratch the paint up, so I decided to fit them loosely to the longerons first. 3 of us then took the clam and carefully pulled out the sides and guided the back over the exhausts. Once roughly in place I undone the sheer panels and moved them right forward so the clam could slide fully forward, then carefully pushed the bottom on the clam down where the drainage holes are and moved the sheer panels into back into position inside the clam.

Still a lot to do on the car and a few bits I'm a little apprehensive about like bonding the side intakes on and headlight brackets etc, but I'll hopefully tackle them next weekend.
Last edited by jamesjeffery on Tue May 25, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob999

Just had a catch up on this thread, keep up the good work 🙌
jamesjeffery

Many colours crossed my mind, but as I always planned to go as OEM as possible I went for Laser. It was the colour of my first S1 (after the dealer I bought it off sprayed over the limited edition Millennium blue essentially ruining the car!) and always loved it.

If I were to do something non-Lotus for paint, I'd have maybe gone for something like the Alfa GTAm

Or I do really like the BMW turquoise

Other Lotus colours would have been either Vivid or Scandal or the racing greens

I was also tempted with purple but I'm really happy with Laser and it is too late to change my mind now!
thommo

Great progress!
Exige S1 No: 139