S1 induction noise

Topics relating to the series 1 Exige
winthattt

S1 induction noise

Post by winthattt » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm

I’ll be using my S1 at Goodwood in July and I am a bit concerned that it will be too noisy. It’s a standard 190 vhpd with an Elise Parts large Tullet exhaust. I think the noise is mostly induction. It has the normal large hose and a single witches hat filter, I could fit a second at the open end of the hose. Last time it was noise tested it was marginal static (Oulton Park) but ok on track.

Bookatrack are getting a calibrated noise metre to check it for me, I still face the problem of what to do if it’s too noisy. Short shifting is an option.

trackrod

Re: S1 induction noise

Post by trackrod » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 am

Keith, is the large hose the genuine Lotus one? My car came with a simple large hose which I replaced with the original double layered one.
That greatly reduced the induction noise. I once drove the Exige completely without the hose and it was incredible noisy.

I think Lotus initially fitted two of the cone filters at both ends of the hose. So it should have some effect on the noise level.

winthattt

Re: S1 induction noise

Post by winthattt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Klaus,

Yes it is the lotus lined air hose. I’ll add the second filter and hope (update: just checked, already has two filters).

My car is running so smoothly these days that may help, no popping and snorting. New plug leads have had a massive effect. I did a drive yesterday checking out the MLoc Lotus in the Peak route and forgot it’s supposed to be a grumpy vhpd.

Keith