Exige s1 Failed constant velocity joint CV

Topics relating to the series 1 Exige
EXG932

Exige s1 Failed constant velocity joint CV

Post by EXG932 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:32 am

Hope the Easter Bunny brings you all lots of Eggs. I searched for problems on CV joints and CV joint boot problems and could only find rear engine cover Boot problems. (Forgive me if this is al ready known - So adding this )

Many years ago i had a mysterious and spectacular engine bay oil leak which sent a plume of smoke out the back . It was a momentary ... I wont bore you with the story , but suffice to say the source of the oil leak was never found. a year or so later ( im lucky if I travel more than 1500 miles a year) A slight vibration in the rear of the car was felt and worsened to the point where i though the car was going to break in half . It wasnt engine mounts it was a failed inner CV joint on the long shaft ( sorry cant remember if o/s n/s)
Simples - the spectacular oil smoke screen was casued by the CV boot splitting and dumping ( most?) of its contents as a direct shot onto the exhaust below then burning it off ... Then CV joint failure then occured within say 1500 2000 miles .

The reason i mention this is because the failed CV joint was hard to spot , on my piddly ramps at home. The car had to be on a proper lift and excessive tugging to get movement . The grease had long gone and with the general dirt in the area wasnt immediatly obvious ( to me )

Having found the CV joint failed - its was then in hind sight easy to spot heavy grease splat witness marks in the area to confirm where the smoke cloud originated from .

So please do check you CV boot gaiters at your next service - make sure they are nice and soft and "rare" , not "well done" . Mine on the long shaft are directly above the exhaust with probably an inch gap .. fab design :0) so the CV gaiter boot slowly cooked and hardened then cracked ... My old banger chassis has now covered 55k miles ... its always had the full Janspeed system since birth .
All the above happened over a 3 year period and now the cars been good for 2 years .. 3K miles , so i know its a proper fix. Next job is a bit of heat wrap round the exhaust in the CV area.

Cheers Everyone and hope it helps .

PS would be nice if we didnt get so hung up on prices - dont worry - as soon as the housing interest rates go up, prices on all cars will fill fall like bricks back to the reaches of the true enthusiast . People have short memories.... remember the 80's and negative equities .. in houses ( and in cars!! ) or at least reasearch if you were lucky enough to still be a Wink in your parents eyes............... :0) The truth is out there...

trackrod

Re: Exige s1 Failed constant velocity joint CV

Post by trackrod » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes, a failing CV boot is a common problem area of the Exige S1. If you are unlucky it might even set your car on fire.

I've added a heat shield between the drive shaft and the exhaust to my car. I hope that it will prevent the boot of getting toasted.
It's made of aluminium sheet metal, covered with some TechnoFibra and fixed to the gear box housing.

Shield1.JPG
Shield1.JPG (61.65 KiB) Viewed 653 times
ViewBottom.JPG
ViewBottom.JPG (82.96 KiB) Viewed 653 times
ViewTop.JPG
ViewTop.JPG (52.73 KiB) Viewed 653 times

winthattt

Re: Exige s1 Failed constant velocity joint CV

Post by winthattt » Fri May 03, 2019 4:33 pm

I had the same problem and mine caught fire on Donington, no damage as I drove straight to a Marshall. I also made a heat shield between the exhaust and cv joint but I found that it rubbed on the boot when the suspension/engine moved so I removed it.

Keith