sorting VHPD drivability issues

Topics relating to the series 1 Exige
Evoman
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by Evoman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Hey Klaus, I'm replacing all the vacuum hoses and t-pieces, I wonder do you recall the bore size of the hoses?! I'm nowhere near the Lotus and would like to order them if someone has the knowledge of the correct bore size that would be great so I can get them ordered in time for getting them installed Friday, cheers! :)

User avatar
deggles
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 pm
Location: Leeds
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by deggles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:48 pm

Evoman wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm
Hey Klaus, I'm replacing all the vacuum hoses and t-pieces, I wonder do you recall the bore size of the hoses?! I'm nowhere near the Lotus and would like to order them if someone has the knowledge of the correct bore size that would be great so I can get them ordered in time for getting them installed Friday, cheers! :)
Pretty sure it's 4mm internal diameter, I replaced mine a while back with silicone hose from these guys:
https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/ - Product code was BVAC-004 for black or RVAC-004 for the red stuff (cos I fancied a bit of bling to match the HT leads and catch tank hose) :D
Image

User avatar
jonnyfox
Posts: 9089
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:00 am
Location: Brum
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by jonnyfox » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 pm

You need to get some Brasso on the throttle cable elbow :D
#498

User avatar
trackrod
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:43 am
Location: Germany
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by trackrod » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:46 pm

If I remember right I did use 4 mm and 3 mm hose. I think I used the smaller hose for the short piece from the T-connectors to the manifold outlets. The outlets are pretty small and one of the four were even not properly fixed on my car. Another potential air leak.

I would just order both 3 mm and 4 mm hoses and see what fits best. It's not too expensive and there is nothing more annoying if you miss a cheap part while working on the car on the weekend.

User avatar
deggles
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 pm
Location: Leeds
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by deggles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:52 pm

jonnyfox wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 pm
You need to get some Brasso on the throttle cable elbow :D
:lol: Ha ha, I thought the bay was looking quite tidy but you're right, I missed a bit :oops: :lol:

Evoman
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by Evoman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:37 am

Awesome chaps, thank you for the info and links :)

tlracer
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 11:00 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by tlracer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am

Check the T-connectors as well when you're replacing the hose. I found a couple of mine had gone very brittle so replaced those as well whilst it was all apart.

Evoman
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by Evoman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm

tlracer wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am
Check the T-connectors as well when you're replacing the hose. I found a couple of mine had gone very brittle so replaced those as well whilst it was all apart.
Indeed that is what prompted full replacement as i was checking the t-piece connectors one of them snapped so a full set ordered plus extra just in case!

User avatar
jonnyfox
Posts: 9089
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:00 am
Location: Brum
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by jonnyfox » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 pm

deggles wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:52 pm
jonnyfox wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 pm
You need to get some Brasso on the throttle cable elbow :D
:lol: Ha ha, I thought the bay was looking quite tidy but you're right, I missed a bit :oops: :lol:
:D sorry

I bought my black hose and connectors off eBay. Same for the washer bottle.
#498

Evoman
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Re: sorting VHPD drivability issues

Post by Evoman » Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 pm

So by way of update I have resolved my running issues were mainly a rich running condition.

Vac lines replaced and t-pieces, coolant temperature sensor and air temperature sensor. Result, seemed to be slightly improved but in reality still very rich.

Next step was to go with a hunch and treat the car to a 2bular cat back system as on an oil service there was clearly a leak from the back box. Turned out the flexi was caput and snapped off. So new flexi welded in along with 2bular system and she runs real sweet again. Exhaust emissions I haven't tested but for sure the richness is away. So anyone struggling with a running rich issue could be what appears to be a rather minor leak from the exhaust at the flexi (I guess the backbox leak wouldn't have affected the emissions quite so much).

Post Reply