just got me a new ARB :D

JDS

Re: Suspension Refresh

Post by JDS » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Holes should point downwards as the photo

BACON

Post by BACON » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Si_F wrote:Do consider the epoxy mastic,as suggested. Personally, I preffer it to Por as its just less faffy to use.

You might want to consider that ARB, you'll have some lovely shiney wishbones then a rusty arb.
Ive given up on the epoxy mastic. I wasn't impressed with my brush on finish and I don't have the facility or equipment to spray so I took the lazy option and sent them to be powder coated. But that's me being fussy.

Today I've learnt that certain plastic bottle caps fit very nicely into the bush hole of the wishbone. I thought this was a neat way of avoiding getting paint in them, so 32 bottles of tescos cheapest bottled water later they were good to go. But I've also learnt they would melt in the painters oven.. Ah well.

jonnyfox

Post by jonnyfox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:48 pm

This is how I've spent my week as well. I like the Zinc coat and POR clear. Anything but black, as a light colour is easier to clean me thinks. Grime and brake dust on black is hard to see from experience. Gold to match the Ohlins but then I quite like silver too, matches the chassis

Benja

Post by Benja » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:27 pm

jonnyfox wrote:Gold to match the Ohlins
Mate I hate to break it to you but your Ohlins or on my car now....

jonnyfox

Post by jonnyfox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:31 pm

I want some more!

Benja

Post by Benja » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:52 pm

You can have a go of mine on the 21st to remind yourself how good they are and question why you sold them to me...

thommo

Post by thommo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 am

Great write up. Very detailed and pics good too. I'd have no chance of doing this myself, much as the idea appeals.
Keep up the good work.
And, as for you Mr Fox, we need your words and pics, too, please

Si_F

Post by Si_F » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:53 pm

BACON wrote:
Si_F wrote:Do consider the epoxy mastic,as suggested. Personally, I preffer it to Por as its just less faffy to use.

You might want to consider that ARB, you'll have some lovely shiney wishbones then a rusty arb.
Ive given up on the epoxy mastic. I wasn't impressed with my brush on finish and I don't have the facility or equipment to spray so I took the lazy option and sent them to be powder coated. But that's me being fussy.

Today I've learnt that certain plastic bottle caps fit very nicely into the bush hole of the wishbone. I thought this was a neat way of avoiding getting paint in them, so 32 bottles of tescos cheapest bottled water later they were good to go. But I've also learnt they would melt in the painters oven.. Ah well.
Personally I wouldn't use another finish on wishbones, I've got better thing to do than a million different step processes especially when the ball joint will be knackered in a few thousand well driven track miles..... The guy I use will blast, undercoat, powder coat and clear lacquer for a few ££ per item. Have a word with the powder coater the will usually give you the tape they use to mask foc. Even if not masked a small diameter lap wheel on a die grinder will clean things up....

I sprayed the epoxy mastic and it's given a slight hammered finish to the subframe which I do like (I'm no pro but kept the thinning to a minimum to achieve it as the galvanising isn't perfect).
jonnyfox wrote:This is how I've spent my week as well. I like the Zinc coat and POR clear. Anything but black, as a light colour is easier to clean me thinks. Grime and brake dust on black is hard to see from experience. Gold to match the Ohlins but then I quite like silver too, matches the chassis
The next set I do will either be something bright or the anthracite I have the wheels in on both cars. Gold would be good!

thommo wrote:Great write up. Very detailed and pics good too. I'd have no chance of doing this myself, much as the idea appeals.
Keep up the good work.
And, as for you Mr Fox, we need your words and pics, too, please
If you you've a bit of room on the drive/ garage I'll happinly come over and take you through doing this. Just supply coffee and biscuits!

dris

Post by dris » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Day 5

Cheers for the advice and messages of support.

I've managed to strip the offside tonight, 3 hours approx compared to 6 hours for the near side :)

Nothing much different from my write up on the near side apart from when removing the wheel arch liner some pipes and an electrical box are attached but can easily be taken off.

Here is the anti-roll bar which will be sandblasted and then given the por-15 black treatment.
I've new bushes and drop links to go on too.