Gear change

Topics specific to the series 3 Exige
ogilthorpe

Gear change

Post by ogilthorpe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi all

3rd to 4th gear seems to have gone more notchy than usual at times - and Ive started to get the faint whiff of clutch now and again. Anyone had similar or know what the problem may be. 4500 miles - Not tracked. Cheers

gp_fisher

Re: Gear change

Post by gp_fisher » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Not much help really, but I did notice when I had my LF1 that sometimes it was difficult to select first gear when setting off from a standstill. I just put that down to the cables needing adjusting, but didn't bother getting it done. The gear selection was great the rest of the time and I covered 8500 miles in the car
I did find the LF1 clutch quite heavy in it's operation compared with my new Sport 350,which I am led to believe has a lightweight clutch.
I have read a few posts stating that there has been problems with early V6s clutches, but that was because of a noise issue rather than a gear selection problem.
Has the car been tracked and the gearbox oil got too hot. If so might be worth trying some fresh better quality oil.
It might just be a cable adjustment problem. If you are still under warranty, best to take it to a dealer and get them to take a look at it.

ogilthorpe

Post by ogilthorpe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:04 am

Thanks GP - no never tracked and still under warranty - I'll get the dealer to check it out. Cheers.

ad_S

Post by ad_S » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 am

gp_fisher wrote:Not much help really, but I did notice when I had my LF1 that sometimes it was difficult to select first gear when setting off from a standstill. I just put that down to the cables needing adjusting, but didn't bother getting it done. The gear selection was great the rest of the time and I covered 8500 miles in the car
I did find the LF1 clutch quite heavy in it's operation compared with my new Sport 350,which I am led to believe has a lightweight clutch.
I have read a few posts stating that there has been problems with early V6s clutches, but that was because of a noise issue rather than a gear selection problem.
Has the car been tracked and the gearbox oil got too hot. If so might be worth trying some fresh better quality oil.
It might just be a cable adjustment problem. If you are still under warranty, best to take it to a dealer and get them to take a look at it.
I noticed yesterday after a blast round the borders and Kielder that gear change was getting a little stiff, then when I got into Hawick I really struggled to get reverse and 1st gear. After the car had cooled down it was fine until I got home when it had warmed back up and the same issue came back. I am awaiting a switch on back order from Lotus and when it goes in to get that fitted I will get them to change the gearbox oil and check the cables.

Bully

Post by Bully » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Might be clutch fluid - I had a similar problem on mine at only 6 months old. I took it to the dealer to be looked at and he said it was "the way I was driving it" and "I couldn't expect a smooth gear change on a car like that". It eventually ended with me not being able to select a gear. Turned out to be the clutch/brake fluid which was changed and fixed it. The dealer I was using charged me for this despite warrantee and the fact the car was only 6months old with 5k miles and not tracked. This is one of the reasons I take it elsewhere now.

Car is now nearly 2 years with 10k miles and a couple of trackdays and it's been fine since.

ogilthorpe

Post by ogilthorpe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks Bully - so how much did the dealer charge for that if you don't mind me asking?

cheers

ogilthorpe

Post by ogilthorpe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:09 pm

and thanks ad-s too - helps me build up a picture and relief that it's not just me.

cheers

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:08 am

They charged me £92 for the fluid change but that was after I argued about it - I think they asked for around £130 originally.

ogilthorpe

Post by ogilthorpe » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Crikey!

Thanks Bully - booked in at Oakmere on 30th Sept...

Top cat

Post by Top cat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 am

ogilthorpe wrote:Crikey!

Thanks Bully - booked in at Oakmere on 30th Sept...
Oakmere will sort you out no problems if you still have warranty left. They have always been great with mine. On my S2 i had slight notchyness when cold and a separate issue of not being able to engage first occasionally when hot. They replaced the clutch and third and fourth without batting an eyelid.