Exige 'industrial' roll cage!

Topics specific to the series 3 Exige
wesj111

Re: Exige 'industrial' roll cage!

Post by wesj111 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 pm

It's hard to understand how they made such an error on the front cage section as I thought the cockpit of the S3 was identical to an S2 where there are lots of existing designs? I can understand that the rear stays might be a bit longer on the v6.

Here's some photos of my Hot Lap cage if that helps with ideas for the door bars ...

hogarth

Post by hogarth » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Wow!.. that looks a lot better than mine! ... a hint of the Caterham style of cage that one!

Maybe the doors of the V6 are thicker (?) as my bars seem to run along the sill like yours but the doors still stick out two inches.

Anyway, Custom Cages (yes, now named and shamed) simply suggest cutting away large sections of the door (Big Help eh!) which I think is a complete bodge when there is three inches from the bar to edge of the Tillett seat side! My mechanic man is going to carefully do this in the hope that we can possibly replace these chopped bits at a later date when we figure out how to re-route the door bars or whatever. What a palarva!

wesj111

Post by wesj111 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Here you go Tony, I had to dig through the archives from a decade ago but here's the Custom Cages kit that I had fitted to my S1 Elise 190. Not the best photos but you can see where we had to cut out the base of the door to clear the door bars.

There is another alternative of course, cut out the door bars! Not elegant but could be tidied up since it's not yet painted. They're not a requirement for circuit and I also had a letter from the MSA confirming that they weren't required for Stage rallying due to the height of the sills.

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:27 pm

And in a side impact that 3" will be 0". I'd leave it exactly where it is and cut the doors out, or get some cheap secondhand doors and cut those out.

hogarth

Post by hogarth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 am

Well, my man has now chopped the doors to accommodate these bastaddd bars, (can't bear to photo it) but what a mess it looks and he has had to remove the central locking motor as well as chunks of door ... and we can't re-fit the door panel cards without chopping them either!

I know this is a competition car but I still want it to be presentable and not look like the 'bodge job' it currently does!

The car is entered into the big British Championship meeting at Shelsley Walsh this weekend, but I want it sorting properly after that.

Anyroad, (good old Trading Standards department) I have now formerly written (!) to the cage company and requested that they take the car back and re-route the door bars accordingly, I will then buy some more doors (pair on eBay I'm told?) and complete the interior correctly. let's see what they come back with!

I used to be just a grumpy old man ... but now I am .... MR BLOODY ANGRY!

tim_marra

Post by tim_marra » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:21 pm

I hope you get a satisfactory result.

jonnyfox

Post by jonnyfox » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes indeed. Some people go out of there way to make sure it's just the job, some clearly and sadly don't.
R300

Benja

Post by Benja » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:21 pm

So you gonna make it out for the weekend?

We need to see some more pics!!

hogarth

Post by hogarth » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Well, the threat of legal action obviously did the trick .... the MD of the cage company personally came to sunny Shropshire to view my car and listened to me moaning and accepted that yes, perhaps they should have mentioned somewhere along the line that I would need to butcher the interior around their cage ... but really it was too late to change the layout and of course, safety is paramount so I will have to live with it! Oh, and the roof needs the strengthening (?) internal side bars chopping to fit around the bars as well ... ho hum! ... so an S2 Mohican single skin roof has been .... umm errr .... fitted (Tiger seal, cable ties and gaffer tape)

Anyroad, moving swiftly on ... 'My man' worked late into the night and I collected the car at 6am this morning (Saturday) to enable me to practice and qualify at Shelsley Walsh today ... which I did! Pouring rain and slippery track, but two very steady runs in full 'Touring' mode (just in case) ...and the car went like a dream!
I even beat my rival in his crappy Porsche Cayman fully sorted money-no-object 3.9 lightweight etc etc ... Paaah !

... But proper timed competition runs tomorrow are what count! ...... fingers crossed and I will post pics!

PS: The scrutineers loved the cage though ... complete with chunky door bars and thick tubing ... bless em!

stratosboy

Post by stratosboy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:59 pm

"I even beat my rival in his crappy Porsche Cayman fully sorted money-no-object 3.9 lightweight etc etc ... Paaah !"

Good lad....keep up the good work, I'm sure it's going to be worth it