Exige 'industrial' roll cage!

Topics specific to the series 3 Exige
Benja

Re: Exige 'industrial' roll cage!

Post by Benja » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Could I kindly request that nobody respond to Jim's post please. This is a thread about a great build that we're all interested in reading about.

I think Jim's made his position clear for the community and all current and future customers, it needs no further debate on this forum.

Thanks.

hogarth

Post by hogarth » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Apologies folks, I certainly didn't intend to stir anything up at all ........ So time-out gentlemen please!
Exhaust now fitted nicely to the car ... thank you Jim.

However, ..... unbelievable 'schoolboy error' on the scaffolding front .... The bloody doors won't close!

So I won't hesitate to name and shame the cage building company concerned in any and every way possible if they don't sort this out pretty dammed quick! .... Dozy Buggas! Shameful situation really as the Exige was to make its debut at the big British Championship hill climb meeting at Shelsley Walsh next weekend.

wesj111

Post by wesj111 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:09 pm

Fitting cages into an Elise or exige is an interesting challenge :-) I've had three different types in my rally cars. In my S1 I went with a custom cages weld in that had door bars and we had to remove some fiberglass from the interior base of the doors to close them. That was explained by them though before we started, it's a pretty tight cockpit! I went with a safety devices bolt in for my first S2 which was fairly straightforward without door bars. The best cage was the hot lap T45 that I had in my Honda S2, it was very nicely made with roof hoops and door bars, no cutting required of the doors but I recall the door bar was welded to the rear hoop but fixed with a bracket to the aluminum dash cross beam. Are you sure you will have enough elbow room with the double door bar configuration?

Hope you get it sorted quickly, I bet the S3 is a lot of fun to compete in.

tim_marra

Post by tim_marra » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Why not go with a Lotus sport oem or was that not available?

hogarth

Post by hogarth » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:35 am

Yes umm errr well ... Upon reflection, a Lotus Sport OEM version looks like a better idea ..... hindsight eh!

The car was banned from competing at Prescott Hill Climb by an MSA scrutineer (just before the start line bless em... aaargh!) even though it had earlier been passed by another ... as it only had the original hoop and rear stay factory bars.

So with the OEM cage being very very expensive, I simply phoned around various independent cage companies for quotes. I immediately had a call back from the firm concerned who were 'desperate' to get hold of a V6 to use as a dummy (the dummy ended up being me!) for them to make full cage kits to sell to other V6 owners, also, they would collect and return the car, taking only two to three weeks to design, build and fit the cage in T45 steel to full FIA/MSA spec etc etc ... and very cheaply too as I was doing them a favour! Sounded too good to be true? ... well there ya go, let that be a lesson!

TEN weeks later, with no communication, no return of a dozen calls or any updates whatsoever, the car was duly returned to me ... with the cage unpainted, meaning I had to get somebody to paint it in situ ...Oh, and by the way .... the rear bulkhead glass screen had 'exploded' ... thanks lads!

Now in the middle of the re-build following a full bodywork respray, the doors won't close as the lock/catch mechanism bashes against the door bar. We thought about cutting the door but it would need to lose about a third of the lower rear section and the door catch/lock area would be completely lost, so a re-route of the bar is likely to be the only option. There is plenty of room between side of seat and sill but the problem of course is that is is all bolted and welded in place so we are unsure what to do and then how to do it!

My mechanic technician (patient chap) is dealing with the cage firm this morning (Monday) to sort things out... as my next visit to them will probably be with a chainsaw ... oh and a solicitor!

ade

Post by ade » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:38 am

Wow, what a terrible time you have had, always been lucky with who used my car for different upgrades\design work.

tim_marra

Post by tim_marra » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:42 am

Good luck with getting it sorted, that really is bad form by your chosen installer. It almost reads like they gave up on your install?

ade

Post by ade » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 am

Are you going to name and shame them?

hogarth

Post by hogarth » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:39 am

Well, I will be perfectly fair and give them an opportunity to rectify the situation, but even my usual easy going nature has a limit,

So yes, I will name and shame there everywhere - including through Trading Standards - without hesitation should the need arise!

It really is a shame as they had the car for ten weeks, knowing that this weekend was its big debut ... so I am just totally disappointed!

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:26 pm

ahhh, the up's and down's of racing…

You'lll get there!!