Exige S2 Slick Recommendation

Topics relating to the Lotus Exige S2 (series 2)
Azrael

I ran Yokohamas when trying to find a good replacement for when Dunlop stopped making a suitable sized 16"

A005 Slicks
190/580 R16 Fronts in Hard N2455 and Medium N2454 compounds
230/610 R17 Rears in Hard N2795 and Medium N2794 compounds

A006 Wets
Same sizes as above, both N2456 Fronts and N2337 Rears as a hard compound only.

The medium slicks suited my S1 better but the fronts could really do with being softer still but the N005 soft compound is unfortunately no longer available.
Longevitywise you'll get in the region of maybe 4-6 heat cycles with performance drop off until they stabilise to an average grip level. The wets were similar.

I also tried Avon in similar sizes using their what was once the British GT A708 compound. Weirdly about 2kg per tyre heavier than anything else I've used and heat cycled less well than the Yokos. I suspect there's far more suitable compounds available but could turn into an expensive experiment!

As Gav mentioned there's some decent trackday tyres available, but suitable wets could still be a an issue.
TwoCommaPauper

Azrael wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:02 pm I ran Yokohamas when trying to find a good replacement for when Dunlop stopped making a suitable sized 16"

A005 Slicks
190/580 R16 Fronts in Hard N2455 and Medium N2454 compounds
230/610 R17 Rears in Hard N2795 and Medium N2794 compounds

A006 Wets
Same sizes as above, both N2456 Fronts and N2337 Rears as a hard compound only.

The medium slicks suited my S1 better but the fronts could really do with being softer still but the N005 soft compound is unfortunately no longer available.
Longevitywise you'll get in the region of maybe 4-6 heat cycles with performance drop off until they stabilise to an average grip level. The wets were similar.

I also tried Avon in similar sizes using their what was once the British GT A708 compound. Weirdly about 2kg per tyre heavier than anything else I've used and heat cycled less well than the Yokos. I suspect there's far more suitable compounds available but could turn into an expensive experiment!

As Gav mentioned there's some decent trackday tyres available, but suitable wets could still be a an issue.

Very informative, thank you, that was much appreciated.

I'm not too fussed about wets, as we simply move the race to the next weekend when it rains here :)

Avon have offered to produce a custom set of slicks for me which sounds appealing, but have a minimum order quantity of 5 sets, which I'm not keen on as half of them will probably end up sitting in my workshop degrading for a year or so... I'm not sure what their shelf life is (assuming they're wrapped in film and stored correctly)?
Emira on order
Exige S2
25th Anniversary Esprit V8
'73 JPS Europa Special
'69 Elan
'62 23B
Azrael

As long as you keep them at a stable (above freezing, below 20deg) temperature, dry away from any UV lights they can store for several years. Unused tyres also seem to deteriorate slower than used. Tyre bags are a good solution.
TwoCommaPauper

Azrael wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 pm As long as you keep them at a stable (above freezing, below 20deg) temperature, dry away from any UV lights they can store for several years. Unused tyres also seem to deteriorate slower than used. Tyre bags are a good solution.

Hmm.. summer can see us hit 38-40c, although it'll probably be closer to 33-35 in the garage. Will mull it over though.
Emira on order
Exige S2
25th Anniversary Esprit V8
'73 JPS Europa Special
'69 Elan
'62 23B