Timing chain tensioner

Topics specific to owners of the series 2 Exige
andybond

Timing chain tensioner

Post by andybond »

Hi all,

I have a clatter on startup when cold for around 2 seconds. I think I have narrowed it down to the timing chain tensioner.

Where might one source a replacement? 2ZZ engine ..

andybond

Re: Timing chain tensioner

Post by andybond »

That looks like the part I need..

part number 13540-88600 for a 2zz 1.8 for the timing chain tensioner

( above is for SEO :thumbup: )

andybond

Post by andybond »

Poked around and got it from here : http://hurleyperformanceparts.co.uk/Gen ... 93562.aspx

Fonzey

Post by Fonzey »

I think I might have the tiniest of oil weeps from behind the chain cover somewhere, so if you're going to DIY this then I'd appreciate photos of access etc :mrgreen:

andybond

Post by andybond »

I have a chap doing it for me as I am mental with work at the minute. There is a rear seal for the crank that can weep ( mine didnt ) and the oil dipstick o ring can move about and fail to seal. This is where mine was leaking from ..

Fonzey

Post by Fonzey »

I'm still not sure, I don't have a leak that's strong enough to drip onto the undertray or show any appreciable oil-loss between changes but the back of my block seems to be a bit 'sweaty' every time I look at it, and it seems to collect around the join between the sump and the block. The obvious thing to finger would be the sump gasket sealant, but I've removed/refitted the sump twice and I'm fairly sure I haven't cocked it up both times - so now wondering if there's a slight weep further up somewhere.

I gave it all a good degrease/wipe last time the car was jacked up so I'll be checking it again soon. It's certainly not bad enough for me to actually put any real effort into it, at least not yet.