Inlet charge temps

Topics specific to owners of the series 2 Exige
frank

Re: Inlet charge temps

Post by frank » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 pm

All this talk about intercoolers is so last year, what you guys should be talkin about is a dual fuel system that doesn't care if your OE intercooler is a toaster since you can have any detonation preventing octane fuel rating you like....Adding the proper mix of isopropyl alcohol with its 118 octane rating means the engine will not knock and you will have all the power you dialed in [boost/timing]....

At 26 psi. I make 560 whp = 644 BHP on 91 octane pump gas with my staged alcohol fuel system... :D

jfk

Post by jfk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Dual fuel ??
Us Bits ain't got the hang of one fuel yet !!
;)

moomin

Post by moomin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 am

Ace ! I could use some of the local vodka the Polish are making thats cheaper a gallon than petrol .

frank

Post by frank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 am

Ok so I can make 425 whp with my chargecooler setup on 91 octane pump gas at 20 psi., so what's the problem here ?

Renton

Post by Renton » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:55 am

[quote=frank]Ok so I can make 425 whp with my chargecooler setup on 91 octane pump gas at 20 psi., so what's the problem here ? [/quote]

Frank, I've got a 400bhp pump-fueled, chargecooled Exige too. But coming on this thread willy-waving and saying "my car's great so what's the problem?" isn't exactly helpful or relevant.

The problem is that supercharged S2s come with intercoolers. This thread appears to be a discussion on how ineffective they are (on a hot day under track driving conditions) and how they might be able to be improved without spending the high premiums commanded by the sellers of chargecooler conversions...

I've just ordered the various parts required to carry out a couple of 'jfk' auxiliary air supplies on my friend's 2008 S. I look forward to seeing exactly what the results are and he's crossing his fingers that the extra air supply will allow the car to be tracked with the roof off.

As Buzz Armstrong once said, watch this space ;)

ade

Post by ade » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am

What this does make me wonder is how bad a standard S without the extended scoop must be especially if you have a gotham or CN 260 upgrade :o

moomin

Post by moomin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

[quote=Renton][quote=frank]Ok so I can make 425 whp with my chargecooler setup on 91 octane pump gas at 20 psi., so what's the problem here ? [/quote]

Frank, I've got a 400bhp pump-fueled, chargecooled Exige too. But coming on this thread willy-waving and saying "my car's great so what's the problem?" isn't exactly helpful or relevant.

The problem is that supercharged S2s come with intercoolers. This thread appears to be a discussion on how ineffective they are (on a hot day under track driving conditions) and how they might be able to be improved without spending the high premiums commanded by the sellers of chargecooler conversions...

I've just ordered the various parts required to carry out a couple of 'jfk' auxiliary air supplies on my friend's 2008 S. I look forward to seeing exactly what the results are and he's crossing his fingers that the extra air supply will allow the car to be tracked with the roof off.

As Buzz Armstrong once said, watch this space ;) [/quote]
To be fair the charge cooler didn't do that well either and temps are way higher than I would have thought , we need to get all the options together for a test one day .

frank

Post by frank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:43 pm

The problem is you guys are using a poor chargecooler design....

To the new guy, It's to big to wave and I've been doing big power 2ZZ powered Lotus longer than anyone.... :D

Instead of pointing out my huge man unit you should have asked how did you do it.

moomin

Post by moomin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm

What sort of temps do you get on a hot day with your charge cooler ?

frank

Post by frank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm

It's always hot here in Southern California...

I'm always between 10-15*f above ambient even when it's 105*f. and I'm running 30 psi. of boost in the twisties.... That's 2nd/3rd gear high RPM driving at speeds between 40-120 mph, so the cooling effect of the airflow on the heat exchangers is key to the chargecoolers efficiency... "Heat Exchangers", that's right I run four seperate radiators and a 20 gpm water pump... My chargecooler is rated at 850 hp..

My engine water temps matain a nice 175-185*f while on the loud peddle.