Inlet charge temps

Topics specific to owners of the series 2 Exige
Fonzey

Re: Inlet charge temps

Post by Fonzey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 am

Sorry for a bit of grave diggery, but my project for this summer has been to work on my IATs' on my 2006 Exige S with the Lotus 260bhp upgrade. In the name of trying to whip up a bit of discussion on the forum I thought I'd post my findings.

I've been using Blyton Park trackdays as a reference point as it's relatively easy for me to repeat, so no Spa figures I'm afraid - but hopefully useful to somebody.

The modifications I've done are:

2.5" pipes to the IC shroud from the sidepods
OEM intercooler
DIY heatshield under the IC
"Mail Slot" modification
Wider mesh on sidepods
Dual Catch-cans

I logged the temps using my ODB reader and the Android Torque app, and plotted the data in Excel.

I did some mid-year logs too at different circuits with wildly different ambient temps, but logged here for completeness. As you can see, I was working with much higher ambients and my changes managed to nullify that increase and even improve upon the much cooler ambient baseline - so it was reassuring.

I had no real idea what the correlation would be between ambient and IAT, but since adding the ducts and heatshields I've had a consistent 33ish degrees delta between ambient and average IAT reading on circuit. Pre-modifications that was closer to 50! This delta would suggest that the catch cans and letterbox have been marginal (if at all) gains, and the bulk of the improvement was from the ducts and/or heatshield.

So I've come to a bit of a conclusion that adding the ducts & Co is really good value for money/effort, but the two pieces of information I'm missing are:

-How would this change if I uprated the intercooler core itself? Plenty of posts on Exiges.com about this but some rather contradictory reports of the effectiveness of changing the intercooler. Going aftermarket with OEM airflow can be a downgrade in some cases, but how about with my new ducts?!

-How would this compare to a modern chargecooler setup? If a water based system could get me in a position where I was comfortably under 50degrees avg regardless of ambient, then I think it would be worth stepping up.

I'm almost certainly going to end up chargecooling this car, and this was never an exercise to save money on that front - but I did want to have a bit of fun and make some nice easy incremental updates throughout the year.

It's clear that I've made a solid gain with this setup but the temperatures are still almost always over that alleged 50degrees threshold at which timing is pulled a bit.

When studying the data a bit more you can see big gains in how quickly the intercooler core recovers back down to a "resting" temperature, and the sessions on circuit can be much longer before the resting temperature starts to rise (heat soak).

I'm now at a crossroads, I'm pretty sure I want to continue making improvements but chucking some cash into a new intercooler is going to go a significant way towards the cost of a chargecooler setup. This winter I'm likely to have the front clam off to sort the rad and other bits out so would be an ideal time to do a CC install if that's the route I go down.

My main concern with the CC is how much extra weight/complexity I'm adding to the car. Already having aircon anxiety with my sill pipes so don't want to add more mess if possible!

Since this thread was started, DIY data logging is accessible to everyone thanks to ODB readers and apps such as Torque - so wondering if there's any up to date stats that I can add to my findings to plot a course forward!

andybond

Post by andybond » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am

I have no stats so I cannot help there.

I can add though that adding a charge cooler ( I have the pro alloy one ) is relatively simple. The pipes are routed offside sill and you will need the aircon chargecooler rad supplied by pro alloy, or you have to butcher your plastic shrouding slightly.

For me, the weight is outweighed by the cooler temps ( despite me saying I have no data , I made more power and consistently )

If you are close to me ( Doncaster ) I am more than happy for you to poke around on my setup or Ill take a run out to you.

Fonzey

Post by Fonzey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am

andybond wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am
I have no stats so I cannot help there.

I can add though that adding a charge cooler ( I have the pro alloy one ) is relatively simple. The pipes are routed offside sill and you will need the aircon chargecooler rad supplied by pro alloy, or you have to butcher your plastic shrouding slightly.

For me, the weight is outweighed by the cooler temps ( despite me saying I have no data , I made more power and consistently )

If you are close to me ( Doncaster ) I am more than happy for you to poke around on my setup or Ill take a run out to you.
Cheers Andy, was hoping to get your input after your adventures :thumbup:

Yeah I'm Selby so not miles away, would be interested to benchmark my car against yours with known power figures but my arse dyno is particularly inaccurate so not sure how exactly we would do that :mrgreen:

Do you have any trackdays booked on the horizon? Could easily log your temperatures if so - I'm half considering booking LoT Blyton at the end of September but that's 2 weeks from my wife's due date so pushing my luck a little bit :|

I would probably go for the Pro alloy bundle just through convenience, as I need a new rad too - I can get the full works.

andybond

Post by andybond » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:03 am

Selby - down the road! Drop me a message and we can arrange a meeting!

I havent got anything booked as I am heading away for a few weeks then having my nitrons rebuilt.

We might struggle logging stuff as the aftermarket ECU nulls comms from the RS232 unless you have a dedicated ( expensive! ) cable..

Fonzey

Post by Fonzey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Fair point on the aftermarket ECU, that's a shame - what do you do for checking codes etc if ODB doesn't work?!

Still will take you up on the meeting, will message you tonight!

andybond

Post by andybond » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Fonzey wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:01 pm
Fair point on the aftermarket ECU, that's a shame - what do you do for checking codes etc if ODB doesn't work?!

Still will take you up on the meeting, will message you tonight!
I dont worry about codes :)

If I get a cel thrown Ill just take it to the guys that mapped it.

I might even get myself a cable eventually.

ade

Post by ade » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Whilst I have no specific stats, on one of the track days at Spa we ran some not very scientific tests as they were different cars, but at least on the same day, the final conclusion seemed to be the standard intercooler is very good but needs loads more air to be efficient and my ProAlloy charge cooler gave the lowest temps even though I was running a smaller pulley than the other cars.
Either use what you have or for the ultimate run a charge cooler, but there didn't seem to be a huge gain during our test with other make intercoolers.

Fonzey

Post by Fonzey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm

ade wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 pm
Either use what you have or for the ultimate run a charge cooler, but there didn't seem to be a huge gain during our test with other make intercoolers.
That seems to be the conclusion I'm inferring from reading (lots) of posts on various forums, thanks Ade.

jfk

Post by jfk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Airflow is crucial .
Large ducts and large diameter tubes to flow as much air as possible over the ic

wennbom

Post by wennbom » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Modified a spare IC shroud to fit 4” tubes
Attachments
612D3C66-EEC5-4F71-9773-5F12CCEF75DE.jpeg