NA Honda K20 not idling right

Honda, Audi, Duratec engined variants
IDG

Re: NA Honda K20 not idling right

Post by IDG » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 am

SeanB wrote:Like Ben, I am impressed you knew how to open the engine cover, let alone get as far along with the job as you have. Well done matey!!
I love a challenge that once complete increases confidence. I just fixed my car with a can of spray! :D

IDG

Post by IDG » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:07 am

SeanB wrote:No Ian, don't run it without a nut on. There are four fixings for a reason. I know you Honda boys love chopping mounts off your gearboxes and crazy stuff like that, but these things are there for a reason.

Get yourself another nut, I would use a nyloc one. Put the nut in your socket, you can stick it there by doubling over a bit of sticky tape and putting that in the socket first. Then put a small extension bar in the socket and use it like a screwdriver to get your nut started. That's what i do when access is tricky.
Ta

I shall limit my use to carefully running it 200 yards down the road to the garage where we're going swap the exhaust on the lift in the hope that the nut is still on the undertray. :)

Do silenced CRPs fall apart? I believe mine is just a bulged pipe to a perforated pipe through the middle. I'd hate to swap the exhaust to find that was part/all of the issue.

SeanB

Post by SeanB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:16 am

A leaky exhaust can sometimes cause issues. Leaky intake tract is the more likely culprit though.

A leak on the intake side does the same job as your idle speed control valve, as it lets air into the engine that has bypassed the throttle body. Obviously the more air, the more the revs will rise. Your idle speed control valve can obviously mask it to a certain extent, but can only go to the point where it is closed completely, if the leak is still letting air in the revs will still rise.

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:50 pm

You can also put your finger in the throttle body and cover up the intake side of the IACV hole... if that 'cures' your idle problem, then it's definitely a sticking IACV valve - looking at the condition of the throttle body I'd put money on it being the IACV.

Mine did it a couple of years ago after it had been sat in the garage over winter... if they haven't been used for a while, it's not uncommon.

I agree with Sean, I wouldn't run it without the nut... shouldn't be too difficult to get an extendable magnet onto the under tray to fish the nut you dropped out.

IDG

Post by IDG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Found nut :)
Placed plastic bag under to catch it if fell off fitting it :) :)
Used blutac to keep it in the socket, got it back on :) :) :)

:D

Just need to swap to the new exhaust now and give it a shakedown - woo hoo!

Thanks for your help everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:30 pm

Result ! :D

Benja

Post by Benja » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:35 am

Well done Ian!!

ade

Post by ade » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Brilliant skills, IDG is the new JDS ;)

IDG

Post by IDG » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Steady! (especially as it's come back a little...but I don't mind getting a replacement and doing the job again now I know how :D )