2030 and the EV age will our cars still have a place?

Keep in touch with fellow enthusiasts.
C8LGY

I've got an EV car, as do many others at my place work, across several different manufacturers, I've been getting around 50% of the quoted range in winter and most people seem to report something similar. I don't think internal combustion engines are going anywhere for now. :lolno:
JPS72

Exactly, batteries in cold conditions and when extra is required of them through use of air conditioning, heating, lights and other ancillary equipment become inefficient. Regeneration through braking etc does not replenish the batteries enough. Batteries will have to become more efficient and hold more charge if the era of EV motoring is going to be successful. My main source of transport is a self charging hybrid possibly the best of both worlds.
johnfishcurtis

My Exige i already carbon neutral.... not driven it for the last year ;)

Wife has an electric car. It's nice, relaxing but not particularly a fun, drivers car that you get out of and go "that was fun". Track days are going to be shite!

If you buy a petrol/diesel on the last moment you would be able to in 2030, you have 10-15yrs left to drive that. What about the second hand market, there will be millions of combustion engine vehicles still on the road neading fuel.
ade

Given the poor charging infrastructure in large cities especially when people have no driveways, the use of ICE is not going away in 10 years, I do expect the ones of us who keep ICE will be expected to fund the battery or hydrogen cars where they are unable to tax the fuels in the same way, I have a small collection of cars and expect to be taxed to the hilt in the future, won't sell them, just have to work out the cheapest way of driving them
johnfishcurtis

As more people move over to electric cars from ICE cars, the government will lose millions in fuel duty.

I expect pay per mile will come into effect and electric cars RFL will change from being free.

If we get pay per mile, that would suit me and many other Lotus owners who don't use their car that much.
Fonzey

Yeah there's no way EVs will remain the tax haven that they currently are. Back when we used to do mileage for work (remember those days?!) getting an EV, even an expensive one through the company was the only thing that made any sense due to tax. I'd wager that's why we're seeing so many EVs on the road already despite the aforementioned charging/battery concerns that exist today.

In the quite near future I expect some degree of standardisation on charging (hopefully Tesla don't "do an Apple" and go their own way inventing new USB sockets every 2 years...) and with that will come some taxing mechanism, either on juice or more likely through road tax on a pay per mile basis.

Pay per mile would make a lot of sense in many ways, and may actually work in the favour of ICE enthusiasts who just go out for a blast 8-10 weekends per year or whatever but I'm sure they'll find another way to stiff us :mrgreen:

Hybrids still excite me a bit, it feels a shame that we condemned that idea so soon by planning to go full EV. Given a few generations of development I think we could have unlocked some eye watering performance or economy depending on use case. The F1 engines currently in use are nothing short of miraculous - we just need a few years for some of that to filter down into road cars.
ade

As I have previously owned a plug in hybrid, I found if you can't charge at home it is so expensive it doesn't really make financial sense, prices ranged from 50p to 75p per kwh and with many suppliers there was a monthly charge to be a member and you needed to buy a dongle download an app etc

You are right about the tax incentives, apparently 90% of Tycans are company owned!
JPS72

As you say our cars (Lotus) are not usually used as main transport vehicles but we still have to pay exuberant amounts in car tax for the number of miles we cover in a year due to the higher emissions. Mine is certainly zero emission having been on SORN since Sept 20 and only covering less than 500 miles since last March (COVID times and all that). Therefore going forward a pay per mile may well work to our advantage. Overall our cars are reasonably ‘green’ compared to cars that are used everyday covering huge mileages.
ade

JPS72 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:03 am As you say our cars (Lotus) are not usually used as main transport vehicles but we still have to pay exuberant amounts in car tax for the number of miles we cover in a year due to the higher emissions. Mine is certainly zero emission having been on SORN since Sept 20 and only covering less than 500 miles since last March (COVID times and all that). Therefore going forward a pay per mile may well work to our advantage. Overall our cars are reasonably ‘green’ compared to cars that are used everyday covering huge mileages.
Pay per mile is a great idea in theory, but the idea of putting a tracker on my car for big brother to watch my speed as well as miles completed is not so appealing, especially if I have to buy one for each car!
Only time will tell what they do to fix the loss of tax revenue from petrol and diesel that comes with BEV and plug in hybrid, but BEV needs to be cheaper and charging infrastructure in side streets needs to improve and the countries ability to generate electric needs to grow, all at a time where the government is going to struggle to find the cash because of covid
The_Wizard

Lots on the web about ICE weekend cars /toys with owners beginning to think about this, and rightly so. Our cars will still be around for many years, you only have to look at the amount of ICE cars that are around in terms of historics, classics and special toys. We will see the run of the mill ICE cars deplete pretty rapidly as soon as electrification hits the ground running and makes ownership of buying and running easily plausible for the average driver.

What will happen is that the next generation may not be interested in purchasing your car unless it was my 'grandads'. If you think about the owners of your car/ older cars then look at the age of the owners, you will see what I mean. We tend to buy what we saw as our cars of our years growing up or owned when we were younger. Why would a 10 year old in 20 years time (so he' s in his 30s lets day) be interested in driving a 'slow' lotus that you have to go out of your way to find fuel to drive? The other thing to support this is that our cars are manual, they won't necessarily have a licence to drive them as all their tuition will be single pedal once full electrification hits from 2035 which will be interesting if the law changes. I think the best examples will remain and owned by collectors etc and the others will be 'traded' in with something along the lines of the scrappage scheme that did wonders for the price of remaining examples of 'special drivers cars' from the 90s and early 2000s.

Now is the time to enjoy them ladies and gentlemen (once lockdown is eased :-) )