2030 and the EV age will our cars still have a place?

Keep in touch with fellow enthusiasts.
JPS72

What do members think of the future of our cars past 2030 😥 will increases in car tax and fuel costs make them too expensive to run?
MrP80

Maybe not as soon as 2030, but I keep mentioning people driving ICE cars will look much like those folk who drive steam engines at the weekend, and do think it will be like that

As I say its not a 2030 thing, but the appeal will dwindle (as 'drivers' cars already have over fast techfests), and keep dwindling.

We will get a good 20-30 years out of our cars, but over time they will become pretty socially unacceptable, we'll likely be priced off the road and certain roads we will be unable to travel on at all

Larger more practical ICE cars will start to have a much shorter life. Whilst my daughter loves the Exige and the M5, she has several times asked would I not like an electric version, and son used to get excited seeing a lambo, now Tesla seem to be the thing him and his friends lust after.
JPS72

Yes that’s very interesting, ok post 2030 there will be some overlap but for how long, will the residual value of our once sort after cars dwindle to nothing. Will Lotus offer generous trade ins to loyal customers as we approach 2030? A lot will have to change in the next 9 years. So we’d better enjoy the cars whilst we can!
Fonzey

I'd like to think the true death of the ICE car won't come in my lifetime, but I am worried about them becoming socially unacceptable... that may even come before 2030 at this rate!!

I'd like to think that fuel, servicing and other key infrastructure will be around long enough to run an ICE as an enthusiast/weekend car for the foreseeable future, but I imagine running one as a daily/commuter will become cost prohibitive quite quickly.
JPS72

MrP80 if you say we should get 20-30 years out of our current ICE cars that should be ok being 60 years old myself hoping in the next 20-30 years I can still manage to climb aboard!! 😂
JPS72

So we are all able to afford an EV Lotus!! Can you imagine the queues for the charging points. I don’t think the infrastructure even in 2030 will cope with full electrification of vehicles. This is my worry 🙁
winthattt

Petrol and diesel will be around for much longer than the government would like you to think but it will be for difficult applications, heavy haulage, forestry and things like that that does mean that fuel will be available for “classics”. I personally have said I will never buy another petrol engined car and I do agree, people chugging around in an Exige or 911 will look like cap wearing MGB owners do today, all noise and no go!

Exiges may have value in the future but I can see run of the mill m5s and 911s being used for banger racing!
Fonzey

JPS72 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:23 pm So we are all able to afford an EV Lotus!! Can you imagine the queues for the charging points. I don’t think the infrastructure even in 2030 will cope with full electrification of vehicles. This is my worry 🙁
I'm not pro-EV by a long shot, but I think this concern is overstated. With a plug in EV your fuelling habits will not be the same as they are in an ICE car, ie - you'll rarely/never charge up whilst on the go.

If you take an average commuter petrol car today, lets say you could magically have a full tank each time you left the house - how many times would you need to visit a petrol station? For most of the population it'll be once or twice per year, even on a car with a relatively small tank.

If EV's are already getting 250-300 miles per charge, that's only going to improve and very few passenger cars do 250-300 mile journeys on a regular basis.

Freight and stuff like that is another matter, I'd expect we'll still see diesel trucks around for a bit longer than we'll see ICE passenger cars for that reason.

Infrastructure will cope and adapt, it always does. There's a pretty good interview with Chris Harris and a guy from the National Grid floating around somewhere which puts a lot of the concerns to bed, and the NG guy has an S1 Elise too!
gonein60seconds

I don’t believe infrastructure is going to meet demand by 2030. Personally do believe change is coming but a 10 year hard stop isn’t a reality.

I think commentators all universally agree that EV has a lot of maturing to do yet.

Personally I just brought an Aston V12 Vantage to share space with the Exige, neither is a daily, I believe for remainder of my lifetime they’ll have a place and a value.

Could be wrong and loose my money but intend to enjoy the present for as long as I can.
S1 #501
MrP80

JPS72 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:02 am MrP80 if you say we should get 20-30 years out of our current ICE cars that should be ok being 60 years old myself hoping in the next 20-30 years I can still manage to climb aboard!! 😂
I think thats right, and I'm hoping by then there will be an alternative that I will want to go to anyway so I'm not hugely concerned.

It could be quite an exciting time, alternative fuels as I will call them (as I don't think EV will be the final or only answer) have a huge evolution to go through.

Solutions come rapidly when there is a problem to fix, so the evolution will be rapid now the problems are being accepted.

Hopefully we can start to focus on the exciting future rather than what we are potentially saying goodbye to.

I doubt I will buy another big engined v8 as a daily ever again though those days are certainly numbered no matter how much I love it