Immaculate, original, converted?

Keep in touch with fellow enthusiasts.
Fonzey

MrP80 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:44 pm I'm preserving my car so its in the best possible state FOR ME. I couldn't give a crap about the next owner thinks
This is the ticket, and where I've gone wrong in the past is to obsess with keeping it nice for the next owner. That's bloody pointless really, when you consider on a ~£30k car the delta value for a scruffy vs mint paintjob is probably only 1500-2k either way, is it really worth stressing over during the entire ownership experience?!

I do like a shiny car though, but when I get paint sorted - I now do it for me rather than the next guy.
Rob999

For me, I had a choice. Engine needed a rebuild and the car needed other work as well (suspension refresh etc).

Right now there is still very little out there I want to try at this price point which helps as well. I had the fortune of driving the vhpd for two years so ticked that experience.

Enough rambling; I chose the car/engine combo I wanted. Not one I thought the market might want. Yes there are other Honda S1’s out there but hardly any like mine so to me, that adds to the drive/experience.

I’m trying to get less precious about the satsuma (he says as it’s being trailered back to mine tomorrow!) and I’ve booked in another ceramic coating session in may!!

There’s no right or wrong, I just consider myself lucky to own one.
moomin

I’m no expert on S1s as only having owned S2s but isn’t the S1 now in the proper classic category & won’t an engine conversion devalue the car even if it’s faster or better if value is something to consider.
My first Elise and Exiges had been total garage queens with no wet weather use and wheels off clean after every time they went out , My last Exige I decided to actually use , I suppose life is short and they should be used but it always annoyed me it wasn’t mint anymore.
I had always spent a fortune modifying the cars making them faster and louder and adding more carbon obviously but now I think I should have saved my money and just enjoyed the standard car .
So for me the best option is what you already have
Just my 2p .
tlracer

As Moomin said - if the S1 is to be seen as a genuine classic, then originality is going to be the big plus point.

How many times do classic sales stress things like 'matching numbers'?

The other thing to consider is the difference between restoration and modification. One potentially adds value, the other reduces it. Problem there is the crossover, so how to assess the impact of a period modification, eg. different springs/dampers.

I guess the answer is going to come down to the person buying - they will pay only on what they decide suits their requirements....
winthattt

I’m certainly with “it’s mine, use it for me”, I even took mine on track twice last year, with people coming up and saying “it’s too nice/rare for that”. I did pick very safe tracks though, I don’t think I’d take it to Cadwell or Oulton Park, they could be terminal with a minor impact.

I have decided to give up thinking about future value, after the last year and my age I think it’s time to enjoy stuff and, who knows what petrol cars will be worth in 10 years time? I can see the likes of an M3 or 911 being used for stock car racing, which will have a knock on for all “classics”.

I’ve not even done a suspension refresh on my s1 because there is nothing wrong with it and I just put rust inhibitor on the wishbones each year. It does not look like a shiny new car but it looks better than my 3 year old daily (monthly these days).

I was tempted to swap mine for a FE Elise but I have got over that now. The Elise is more in the spirit of the S1 to me, at least size wise. Prefer to maintain and use mine.
Fonzey

winthattt wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:53 pm with people coming up and saying “it’s too nice/rare for that”.
:twisted: That boils my piss when people say that!

I'd much rather see a car (PARTICULARLY if it's a track special of something like an Exige) get bent on a track than to spend its poor life sat garaged up somewhere in dry storage.

Actually I worded that badly, I don't wish a trackday smash on anybody - but ultimately insurance is there for a reason, as amazing as these cars are they're not THAT special and almost everything can be fixed or replaced with enough love.
deggles

Fonzey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:23 pm
winthattt wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:53 pm with people coming up and saying “it’s too nice/rare for that”.
:twisted: That boils my piss when people say that!

I'd much rather see a car (PARTICULARLY if it's a track special of something like an Exige) get bent on a track than to spend its poor life sat garaged up somewhere in dry storage.

Actually I worded that badly, I don't wish a trackday smash on anybody - but ultimately insurance is there for a reason, as amazing as these cars are they're not THAT special and almost everything can be fixed or replaced with enough love.
Agreed, I occasionally have such thoughts about the S1, but then think about the proper multi-million-pound classics racing wheel-to-wheel round Goodwood or somewhere and resolve to use the car as intended :-D

Regarding originality and values, I think the recent collectingcars sale showed Honda conversions are probably valued at least as much as original VHPD cars at the moment. I imagine long term that might change; if values continue to rise there will be a point where the premium for a Honda'd Exige vs. an Elise or Elige will be hard to justify.