Car re think

Keep in touch with fellow enthusiasts.
ade
Posts: 7142
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:40 am
Location: Essex
Been thanked: 4 times

Car re think

Post by ade » Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 pm

Well, I'm just not sure what to do, the Clio has deeply annoyed me, it is being fixed, but I'm not sure if I'll like it anymore.

After 8 months and 3000 miles the TT RS is going, I just don't drive it, the new S3 cabriolet Jacqui wanted just means it is not being used at all, it is too fast for my local roads as there is always traffic, it is not good enough to be a track car and would be super expensive to use anyway.

So, with that in mind, I did consider selling the Type 79 S1 Elise, but someone said I would be divorced so that is staying.

If I have fallen out with the Clio and I sell it, what to buy?

Don't want another S2 as it will always need to be like my old one, so I need to cross that off the list,

An S1 Exige I just don't think works, too much like the Elise so it won't get used and maybe a bit too fragile for track work anyway.

Caterham track car, can't really afford storage and I don't get enough time for track days to justify a track only car anyway, Caterham road car is a maybe

2 eleven, this is a really interesting option, it can be used on a nice day, I can take it on track, but it is a huge investment to make as they seem to be £40k

I do want something that is not likely to bleed money away over the next few years too, not saying I want to make money as none of us have crystal balls, just not depreciate like a stone the second I buy it for the next few years

JDS
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Re: Car re think

Post by JDS » Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Surely the solution is a vaguely interesting daily - that won't break down - and rent something for the track days you do?

Not having a dig, but a £40k 2-11 gets you something interesting to get you to the track and back - have you considered a TTRS? ;) - and lots of Caterham/Clio/Swift rentals on track without having to worry about storage/fixing/one wheel drive/etc?

Go sit in a Caterham. Then park it next to the front/side of a 40t truck. As good as they are on track, they are pretty terrifying on the road against anything else in the modern world. And they're still too fast for most roads anywhere remotely populated.

User avatar
trackrod
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:43 am
Location: Germany
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Car re think

Post by trackrod » Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 am

Have a go in an Up GTi and see if you like it. It is pretty agile and nimble, cheap to buy and run. Of course you shouldn't expect anything like true sports car performance. But the little GTi has a beautiful balance between every day usability and fun to drive.
My wife and I are frequently dashing to the drive door because the winner gets the driver seat :D

andybond
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Car re think

Post by andybond » Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am

Which Clio do you have Ade? What is wrong with it? I run turboRenault.co.uk 😁😁🙈

ade
Posts: 7142
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:40 am
Location: Essex
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Car re think

Post by ade » Thu May 16, 2019 7:45 am

JDS wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 pm
Surely the solution is a vaguely interesting daily - that won't break down - and rent something for the track days you do?

Not having a dig, but a £40k 2-11 gets you something interesting to get you to the track and back - have you considered a TTRS? ;) - and lots of Caterham/Clio/Swift rentals on track without having to worry about storage/fixing/one wheel drive/etc?

Go sit in a Caterham. Then park it next to the front/side of a 40t truck. As good as they are on track, they are pretty terrifying on the road against anything else in the modern world. And they're still too fast for most roads anywhere remotely populated.
Just can't justify leaving the TT RS sitting on the drive, as much fun as it is, and it is silly fast. I can never be bothered to move the S3 Cabriolet to drive it, as you say maybe to go to the odd track day each year, but still the wrong choice.

That is a very good point about the Caterham on the road, just too scary I suspect.

Maybe renting is the way forwards, especially if the day can be shared with someone else, the S3 makes a very good car and the Elise can be used for high days and holidays.

Finally, the Up GTi might be worth a look as a replacement for my station hack which is a 20 year old Fiesta!

tlracer
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 11:00 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Car re think

Post by tlracer » Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 am

andybond wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am
Which Clio do you have Ade? What is wrong with it? I run turboRenault.co.uk 😁😁🙈
What is it about Clio's and Lotus? I'm on my 3rd Clio and all together there have been at least 5 here... :clap:

andybond
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Car re think

Post by andybond » Thu May 16, 2019 10:36 am

tlracer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 am
andybond wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am
Which Clio do you have Ade? What is wrong with it? I run turboRenault.co.uk 😁😁🙈
What is it about Clio's and Lotus? I'm on my 3rd Clio and all together there have been at least 5 here... :clap:
I have been a serial Renault owner.
5GT turbo
21 Turbo
Clio Turbo ( conversion )
Megane R26 ..

We must really like poorly made cars ..

tlracer
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 11:00 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Car re think

Post by tlracer » Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 am

Poorly made? My current Clio (2001, 1.2, 16v) is just over 211000 miles (yes really...) and still going strong :)

I had a 1.6 RSi first, then a Mk.1 V6 after that.

User avatar
Rob999
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: Norfolk
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Car re think

Post by Rob999 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am

I’ve owned a 172 Cup, 182 trophy.

Folks had a Megane 250, Clio 197 and Mum’s still got her 200.

Ade, what about a Zenos?
#195

andybond
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Car re think

Post by andybond » Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 am

tlracer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 am
Poorly made? My current Clio (2001, 1.2, 16v) is just over 211000 miles (yes really...) and still going strong :)

I had a 1.6 RSi first, then a Mk.1 V6 after that.
Engines are brilliant on the Renaults! Its everything else that is generally not great. I still love the brand though!

Post Reply