Track day wheels and tyres query.

I class Ian as a mate…

It’s a mutal appreciation society good buddy!

I class Ian as a mate…

It’s a mutal appreciation society good buddy!

Croft is my nearest, 40 miles away, i’m currently running on Yoko AO39s, and my plans were to swap rims and tyres to AO48s, drive to the circuit, have my fun then bearing in mind im a track day novice and wont be pushing the tyres/car to its limits, then drive home again.
Yes ive heard Elvington is a tyre salesman’s dream, does anyone know anything about Teesside Autodrome, that not far from me either?

Nothing wrong with using the '39’s on track.
Just drive there on those tyres you have and when time comes change to 48’s and again drive to, on and from the track.

Yes good idea, but what are 48s like for everday road use?

Apart from Snow and standing water
Have found they don’t like wet white lines either

Yes good idea, but what are 48s like for everday road use?

Having tried many different ones (you know, I’m an alternative kind of guy) I’ve found that they are the best out there, even in normal use.

Doh!

(still I will continue with the ECSTA V70 for another set)

…what are 48s like for everday road use?

Not much worse than 39s even in bad conditions. It also makes you more careful, as I think 39s can give you a false confidence.

Ian

Croft is my nearest, 40 miles away, i’m currently running on Yoko AO39s, and my plans were to swap rims and tyres to AO48s, drive to the circuit, have my fun then bearing in mind im a track day novice and wont be pushing the tyres/car to its limits, then drive home again.
Yes ive heard Elvington is a tyre salesman’s dream, does anyone know anything about Teesside Autodrome, that not far from me either?

Nothing wrong with using the '39’s on track.
Just drive there on those tyres you have and when time comes change to 48’s and again drive to, on and from the track.

So you think id be wasting my money spending 2.5k on a set of rims and tyres??

Yes.
Especially if you’re not doing lots of trackdays.

You need to get your brain to build a database of how tyres behave at the limit. Better not change tyres whilst this happens.

Yes.
Especially if you’re not doing lots of trackdays.

You need to get your brain to build a database of how tyres behave at the limit. Better not change tyres whilst this happens.

Good point, as im up here in the sunny North and track days at Croft are very few and far between, with no Lotus track days, my track driving will only amount to a few days a year, but I dont want to ruin my ‘everyday’ tyres…although i could do without forking our 2.5k at the moment!

I’m kind of with Uldis on this. If your not going to be doing that many track days then I don’t think it is worth you having a 2nd set of wheels. Our cars aren’t “that” hard on tyres, especially if you are fairly new to the whole track day lark.

Sure if money is no object, then get the 2nd set of wheels, but otherwise maybe you are worrying over nothing.

Just my opinion.

Sean…

Bertone

A048’s are top tyres for any use… they just wear out fast but are awesome in terms of grip

I have to disagree with most here I’m afraid. 48’s are not ideal as a road tyre. The side walls are way too stiff so ride is badly compromised. The dry weather grip is stunning but personally I find you have to be going scarily fast to reach the limits when they are warm and thats too fast for the public road. On top of this they are very bad in standing water to the point of dangerous. They are progressive when it’s damp but snappy in standing water.

39’s are great as a road tyre and 48’s are great as a track tyre but neither does everything well.

I have to disagree with most here I’m afraid. 48’s are not ideal as a road tyre. The side walls are way too stiff so ride is badly compromised. The dry weather grip is stunning but personally I find you have to be going scarily fast to reach the limits when they are warm and thats too fast for the public road. On top of this they are very bad in standing water to the point of dangerous. They are progressive when it’s damp but snappy in standing water.

39’s are great as a road tyre and 48’s are great as a track tyre but neither does everything well.

Im confused now!!!

Does this help?

If there was an ideal tyre road tyre for the Exige the 39 would be 80% of it and the 48 about 65%.

If there was an ideal tyre track tyre for the Exige the 48 would be 90% of it and the 39 about 70%.

Does everybody agree?

Ian

Ian

Sounds fair enough to me

Bertone - if you’re only doing a few trackdays a year, no need to upgrade the toelinks. Likewise, don’t bother with spare wheels/tyres - just replace them as & when they’re shot!

You’d be much better off spending �500 on trackday instruction, before starting off on the road of upgrades

okay, you have a point, but i assumed everyone driving an exige (esp. S1) doesn’t mind a stiff ride … phnarr phnarr…

I wouldn’t advocate anyone drive at your limits on ANY tyre on public roads ??

You should also see some of the standing water up here… esp at KH in November and as long as you treat the A048’s with some respect or drive on them too deliberately hoon then i think they are surprisingly good in the wet… very friendly

So i think if you like your track days then go with A048’s but if not then A039’s which is prolly what most people are saying anyway?

I was at Knockhill for the BTCC event…ive never been as wet and cold…does it always rain there???

I was at Knockhill for the BTCC event…ive never been as wet and cold…does it always rain there???

ermmm… is that a loaded question…

Actually there is always a strong chance of rain at KH but to be honest I reckon its mostly dry when i’ve been there (which is a lot)… in fact it has quite often been sunny… don’t ask me how it happened but it did…

However, I have also been on in some torrential conditions… in particular I remeber the ‘reverse direction’ track day i went to last year… interesting to say the least… also at KH you get lots of rivers running across the cct when it rains and these are often pretty scary

I will also remember forever paxing with Hyla in an S2 when the rain was so heavy it didn’t actually matter if you were on the black bits or the green bits and Hyla used all of it… amazing.