Startingproblem

Erm… the ducting from the righ hand scoop?

Apparently so, the smaller one is lightweight and spins at slower rate

Do you know if it fits a/c cars? (and phil it’s not a cue to tell me how bad my a/c is again )

Ian

Dont know for sure you may have to ask Geary.

I’m not saying anything about your A/C (just get rid of it!)

Ian,
I hav just fitted the lightweight alternator to my car and it will not fit with air con. I just ripped all my air con gubbins and some other crap and threw it all in the bin It has saved a little weight and has saved me from going on a diet myself

Mike

Now avoiding the diet idea I like!

Did you take the extra stuff out the front too (isn’t there another fan or something)? Weight it before chucking it?

Thanks for the alternator tip.

Ian

ps. Did phil put you up to this?!

Did you take the extra stuff out the front too (isn’t there another fan or something)?

At the front of the car there is a condenser located under the radiator,a fan for the condenser, an evaporator, an air receiver/drier, loadsa pipes and some valves! Also the air blending system is different between a/c and non a/c cars. A/c cars use a vacuum controlled plenum system as opposed to the nice and simple (and it works!!) cable controlled system. There is also a compressor located at the front side of the engine. Sounds like a considerable weight saving, but a lot of work to remove, wheres me spanners

Did you take the extra stuff out the front too (isn’t there another fan or something)?

At the front of the car there is a condenser located under the radiator,a fan for the condenser, an evaporator, an air receiver/drier, loadsa pipes and some valves! Also the air blending system is different between a/c and non a/c cars. A/c cars use a vacuum controlled plenum system as opposed to the nice and simple (and it works!!) cable controlled system. There is also a compressor located at the front side of the engine. Sounds like a considerable weight saving, but a lot of work to remove, wheres me spanners

Yep it all weighs 18Kgs - but i did leave both cooling fans on mine and the pipes that run from front to back behind the sills
Total cost to convert was �30 (new alternator bracket and belt)

What did you do with the air blending? leave the vacuum system in, or is it possible to change for good’ol reliable cables

I left it vacuum operated, dash layout and vents are totally different to the non AC car so i didn’t even bother looking at converting it!

For everyones info, it seems like my (very, very embarrassing) problem was the bad sparkplugs in combination with cold weather. Got it started again so I guess maybe it�s only to pray that it starts the next time.
Thankyou all for your great patience and tips.

Ian,
I’ve ripped out the condenser etc as Rich_O describes. Since I was replacing the radiator with an Eliseparts uprated one and had the clam off anyway I just ripped out everything I could possibly find that was surplus to requirements including the heater matrix (left the fan just in case )
Replaced the battery with the small race version (Red Top 20)
Removed the oil cooler and the pipework with it - total bugger to get out of the sills though The oil cooler was replaced with a water/oil cooler from Eliseparts in the engine bay.
I’ve also fitted a remote thermostat since the cooling system was in bits anyway

Further upgrades are planned but have to wait until May when DVA does my head

Mike

For everyones info, it seems like my (very, very embarrassing) problem was the bad sparkplugs in combination with cold weather. Got it started again so I guess maybe it�s only to pray that it starts the next time.
Thankyou all for your great patience and tips.

Felix… amybe you just need to drive it more ?? glad you got it going…

Mike you may have a unique car on your hands, the only Gunmetal one without a/c!

Thanks, Ian