S1 vs S2

Is that true chaps?

I’d certainly suggest it after 30,000 miles on track!

It depends what you’re doing.

Personally I’m fitting a load of gauges so I know if it gets really ill and hopefully before it blows up.

Ian

Come on, it all depends on what sort of use.

For example, Judd says their engines should not do more than 3500 miles between rebuilds, but the same engine on a road car? road miles? I’d guess about 80K!

Some Elises have been reported at 100K, but those are road miles.
Most Exiges will see track or at least hard action at some point in their lives, so it all depends.
Then there is the thermostat issue, it’s got a wrong design from factory (designed for a FWD). If the engine has overheated or damaged because of hammering from cold, it’s going to last less. Or like mine, Head gasket fails after hammering it around Oulton with a filaed thernmostat (which failed due to an overheating because of leaves plugging the radiator intake).
Or, if you tell me you’re buying a mint Exige, with 1000 mile only, I’d say it could fail because it has not been run enough.

Also, some K’s were not rebuilt properly. They are very delicate and respond very well to balancing. Factory tolerances for VHPD’s were very bad. A properly rebuilt one is very likely to last longer.

So it all depends.

Tell me the description of the car, history and intended use, then we can place or bets.

Last week, the Edwards Boyz sorted out an HGF for one of the Exige posters here - guess what - the infamous plastic dowels were in situ!!

I’m not sure how many miles that particular VHPD had done, but I’d guess at around 25K. Perhaps the owner could clarify? (That was diplomatic, wasn’t it? )

the infamous plastic dowels were in situ!!

When mine was rebuilt by Scholar on behalf of Lotus, I asked about the spec of various bits and even offered to contribute if things like steel dowels and Motorsport head gasket were more expensive. I was told that they would not use these parts and the standard were fine if fitted correctly! It confused me at the time…but there you go!

Last week, the Edwards Boyz sorted out an HGF for one of the Exige posters here - guess what - the infamous plastic dowels were in situ!!

Tells you lots about what you can find out there.
Weren’t VHPD’s supposed to all have steel dowels?

So, who was it?
Had the engine been rebuilt at some stage?
By who?

Get the S1!!! [/quote]

Doesn’t want to do track work so better off with S2…I,ve had both and although I loved the S1 to death for its looks and track ability but the S2 is def a better every day companion…or am I going soft…Hell 40 next in December I need to start to take it a bit easy

Get the S1!!!

Doesn’t want to do track work so better off with S2…I,ve had both and although I loved the S1 to death for its looks and track ability but the S2 is def a better every day companion…or am I going soft…Hell 40 next in December I need to start to take it a bit easy [/quote]

You Southern Softie…ive just turned 40 and bought an S1, theyre rarer, rawer, and eventually will be worth more than an S2, but then I dont have to sit in your Southern traffic jams everyday!!! lol [color:“red”] [/color]

Me neither as I live in the country and drive 2 miles to work.

with the toyota block would it be possible to get 200k out of the exige S2 assuming it was road miles (replacing the same parts as you would do on any normal road car) ?

would i be out of place if i suggested the S2 looked better too

(i guess i drive like an old women)

Scott

with the toyota block would it be possible to get 200k out of the exige S2 assuming it was road miles (replacing the same parts as you would do on any normal road car) ?

would i be out of place if i suggested the S2 looked better too

(i guess i drive like an old women)

Scott

Surely the only one that thinks the S2 looks better is Stevie Wonder!!!

not true, quite a few people have commented they prefer the look of my S2 compared to my old S1, especially from the front.

Scotte, you’re looking at the wrong car really.

It’s like buying a super sports bike and going touring with it, you get a cruising one for that then.

Yes, I would say 200K miles is possible driving like an old woman and road miles only, but then you’d be much better off in a Yaris.

If you drive them hard, they will need maintenance, whatever car you buy.
Heck, even BMW at one stage forbid track days on their cars, because all the things that were breaking! (and that from a manufacturere known by its reliability)

Sorry, but I cringe at the idea of a slow-driven Exige, whichever the model.

looks wise i much prefer my s2 exige over my s1 (albeit elise)

its a lot more comfortable, and a/c is a godsend. It just feels like a more engineered car. Although clearly still underwent little in the way of testing… too many niggles and design quirks for a �32k motor in my opinion.

for 100% track i’m sure the s1 is better - but i might take it on the track once or twice… so as it stands the S2 is much better suited to my needs

horses for courses, i guess.

not ripping the bollocks of the car 24/7 should make it last a bit longer though.

besides, how many people purchase a 4x4 and never take it of road

I agree, if you’re getting it so it lasts longer driving sedate, like any other car will do.
What I say is then you don’t need an Exige, because it’s made for really hard driving.

Buying a 4 x 4 and never using it offroad is a good analogy, and one concept I (and many) never agreed on. They should by a grocery getter.

If you’re buying a car for longevity and sedate driving, the Exige is not the one. You’ll probably notice later that it’s noisy and has leaks, squeaks and rattles.
Get a Porsche, those are sought also for their luxury

Is it looks only what attracts you?

I suppose its all down to use…my S1 is quite simply a ‘weekend’ toy!
Ive got an Alfa as my everyday car!
Theres no way i could use my S1 for everyday commuting, but probably could in an S2, just!
The S2 to me is a dumbed down version of the S1, more practical and driver friendly and as someone has already pointed out if thats the sort of car your after i.e. a comfortable sports tourer capable of doing thousands of miles with ease then i wouldnt go for an Exige, but if i had to choose between the two then the S2 obviously meets the criteria better than the S1,
However, for out and out fun, rawness, and looks NOTHING beats the S1!

its a good question but no its not looks. In all honesty i was attracted to the 111R initally because of the performance you get for the cash you spend. I mean 28k for 0-60 in 4.9 and it goes around corners better than almost any other production car in the world ! that to me is the main selling point. You have to spend at least another 10k on a porche to get the same performance as far as im aware (but im no expert).

After looking at the 111R for 6 months i feel its better to go for the ExigeS2 as its more exculsive. i mean a 111R can be mistaken for any S2 model but the exige stands out. 111R and ExigeS2 performance is pretty much the same so progression to ExigeS2 was the answer. I dont care about having a converatble, wont use it on the track and can live with the rear view visability problem. Im only doing 20 miles a day but hey i can take the back roads

can i join the club now

cheers
scott

ps. it looks cool too !

For exclusivity you have to go for the S1!
I agree the S2 Exige looks miles better than a 111R…but is much more expensive i think for little if no difference in performance!

BUT

If youve definately decided on an S2 the next question is…

WHAT COLOUR???

I guess the post I just made HERE would have fitted just as well in this thread

its a good question but no its not looks…

After looking at the 111R for 6 months i feel its better to go for the ExigeS2 as its more exculsive. i mean a 111R can be mistaken for any S2 model but the exige stands out.

Make your friggin mind up!

Only on track can you possibly appreciate just how good these cars are. To drive anywhere near their potential on the road is asking for trouble - & I don’t mean the odd speeding ticket either.