S1 "exceptional significance"

Mele,

I talked to a fellow that has a BMW Z1 & he felt I’d have no problem proving “significance”, but I’d still have be EPA compliant - dream on with the 190 Exige! I thought the emissions hubbub was why the 340R was on the “bad” list. If you go through the “good” list, most of those cars are already emissions compliant or could easily be adjusted (temporarily!) to pass the test. Autoweek recently had an article about a firm that does such work to 959’s.

Here’s a possible opportunity - the only black USA Exige is for sale in Indy. If you’re interested, send me an email & I’ll put you two in touch.

To my understanding this is about the S1, how about the s2? Would that be allowed over here in the US?

…, how about the s2? Would that be allowed over here in the US?

I think that’s why they built it…

Beto,

if emissions is the culprit, why not install an Emerald. map it accordingly (yes, correctly mapped a K gives near to zero emissions) and then let them test if if passes emissions?

Mele,

I aspire to do this, I have not done it. However, my information is more than “here say.” My buddy is a Cooper addict who’s successfully imported a Mini pickup truck and an original Mini from Europe and he’s told me that this was his exact procedure. He’s already up on what I hope to do and he told me it shouldn’t be a problem so long as I get a rolling chassis.

Regards

To my understanding this is about the S1, how about the s2? Would that be allowed over here in the US?

So far, no, the S2 is not allowed in the USA. I wish it was, it would make life easier. Notice the S2 exige does not have the front side markers (blinkers) and a few other pieces that the federal elise has. Its dang close, but has not been setup to do so (yet). Many believe it would not sell well in the USA unless it had a horsepower upgrade over the elise.

The emissions is an interesting problem, but it sounds like it could be possible with a remap (temporary). If this does not pass muster, then perhaps the kit car solution would work… honda power perhaps?

I saw that the black exige was up for sale, BUT, that gets me no further as the car cannot be driven on the street, track only. Also, I’m going to have a hard enough time getting the wife to go out in the exige with me WITHOUT the track bits on the USA exiges (roll bars, fire suppression, etc etc). It needs to be “Semi” civil… but I do appreciate the offer to help.

Hum, it seems like there are a few of us here in the USA that are trying to get exiges. Wonder if we could save some money with a “group buy” on exiges (rolling chassis??)

MEL

I have to say, an S1 with a std K20A Honda (the Japan version’s VTEC comes in a bit sharply for my liking) is both civil AND rude (when nailed)! Something quite special, and in keeping with the nature of the car.

Ian

certificate of origin for the kit. Bringing a car in w/o a motor and registering it for street use is not really a problem in many states. The real problem is the Feds. NO Elise s1’s or any varients are legal for street use as far as the Feds are concerned. Many of the cars that you see advertised lately are cars that the Feds have been in contact with the owners and given them 90 days to get them out of the country or they will be destroyed.

land of the free… as long as you follow the rules…

Don’t understand all these different authorities, it also seems kinda weird that you can have so many sub 10mpg vehicles on the road in the states but can’t drive an S1 elise… because what ?.. its not environmentally friendly…

Many of the cars that you see advertised lately are cars that the Feds have been in contact with the owners and given them 90 days to get them out of the country or they will be destroyed.

holds back tears

D…D…D…Did they manage to “escape”?