Roof off on Exige S2

haha, nice one.

I thought Lotus told people not to do it because with the roof off, there was a chance the boot/hatch could come off at speed (turbulence/lift whatever)

Having had the roof off on mine, and after speaking with a dealer, I think the primary reason Lotus want owners to keep the roof on is leaking. When they fit the roofs in the factory they check to makes sure that the seals are all fit properly and no seapage occurs. When you take the roof off you run the risk of the seals not matching up again, and water getting in. With the Elise they can just say that the top was put on wrong, but with the Exige it is easier to tell us never to take the top off. The car feels no different at speed either way.

-robert

I think the primary reason Lotus want owners to keep the roof on is leaking. -robert

Finally a valid reason to remove the roof on the S2 - after re fitting you create some of the charachter of the original

Nice one Steve.

That is to funny Steve, I agree, I was missing the little issues of my S1 Elise :wink:, but now I got 1 back again.

Cheers to all you that replied and shared their experience, makes me feel more comfortable when I leave this saterday. (Going to do a 9 day round trip through Germany, Austria, Italy and arrive in Nice on Sunday week after.

Yawn - so why not buy an Elise 111R instead? Nowt wrong with open top motoring, just do it in the appropriate car…

I spoke to Niel Truner about this. Warranty claims relating to water ingress are refused if the roof has come off, and I dont think they are unduly concerned, BUT if you have a prang in your car, you’ve modified it away from its type approval as a coupe and turned it into a targa. A bloody stupid think in reality but best to be warned.

Also may upset the aerodynamics at speed., althoug I’m sure some of the more informed on here may take issue with that. Just repeating what I heard.