Rear Speedline Corse fitment question

@gonein60seconds - In your original post, you talked more about look/aesthetics than actual measurement differences, which is where my concerns started.

I have no idea why Speedline would suggest these are correct fitment - if the track (not wheelbase) is reduced, then clearly the offset doesn’t match OE. Equally, I can’t see a reason why a narrower track on the rear of a racecar would be beneficial (on the front it may be useful to alter scrub radius).

I would suspect the use of 20-25mm spacers comes much more from visual effect than anything else. I agree that even the standard rear wheels can look a bit ‘inset’ from the arches and tyre shoulder shape can exaggerate it. Providing everything is able to be fitted/tightened correctly and maintains the correct geometry (or very close to) there shouldn’t be any major issues.

@C8LGY - This is why any approaches to manufacturers usually gets the reply ‘we need a minimum order’ as it doesn’t matter whether they’re forged, cast or machined from solid, they need to start from a raw component that has enough material in the right places to achieve the same dimensions.

As above - unless there is a very good reason that I’m not aware of - the Speedline wheels are simply the nearest ‘best fit’ to OE without making a specific base. In the situation of limited demand, the cost to make one-piece wheels goes up enormously compared to doing the equivalent with a 3-piece (by coincidence I’m in the middle of this right now with a racecar restoration, as the original wheels are long since NLA and any second-hand originals are too badly corroded to use!)

Comments are not intended as criticism, simply that I’ve seen so many scary wheel replacements I’d rather say something than not!

1 Like

I’ve had Speedlines on my Exige Si for 15 years.Finally got round to fitting spacers to improve appearance.Fitted 5mm spacers to the front and got some 16mm hubcentric spacers from e-bay for the rears.Both work brilliantly.

1 Like

Have you got any info/photos on the 5mm spacers? I can’t imagine in my head how they’d work, so would be interested.

Thanks for feedback. Confident fitting spacers is a very normal practice. :+1:

Spacer photos attached

3 Likes

Thanks for the photos, looks like the studs would sit in the cutouts in the back of the rear wheels?

The front spacers wouldn’t work for me sadly, shame!

Thanks for sharing - rear set up is my expectation of how mine will work.

Cobalt Blue Exige? Great colour

Been a brilliant car.Had it from new.

1 Like

Not to veer off topic with this thread, but I’ve never seen a roof scoop like yours before. Much bigger than standard, but not the normal non-oem motorsport one either. Is it unique to your car ?

Bought it off e-bay a lot of years ago. A bloke with a VX220 turbo had made it but never used it.

MMG Performance?

It’s normal because the wheels aren’t manufactured with the correct offset to retain the Exige’s rear track without them (no, I’m not trying to be pedantic!)…

…I did look into it a bit further and the difference suggests Speedline made them based on the narrower (by 36mm) Elise track measurement. Taking into account the wheel width difference between Elise and Exige, the 10mm per side spacers you mention removes that difference.

I wasn’t talking specifically about Exiges. But thanks for the further input.

Just to close the thread in terms of my own car and fitting Speedlines.

I opted for H&R spacers for quality and reassurance in terms of the integrity of the product. I also wanted 15mm which kept the car pretty close to stock once fitted.

Just sharing the details of the model number etc if it helps anyone else

Interesting the instructions do mention and show the rear of wheel cut outs (not specifically Speedlines just alloy wheels in general) and their role to consume the excess stud/nut when fitting to keep the fit to the hub flush.

Fitting is obviously straightforward. The spacers did feel high quality

For what I wanted which was a better aesthetic in the arch and broadly OEM stance 15mm worked well. You could comfortably fit a 20mm spacer for a more “in the arch” fit. Only point is 20mm would be proud I think at the very leading edge of the wing. As the 15mm sits in circa 3mm.

Happy with outcome. Added a couple of pics fitted just to give idea spacing etc. should anyone else be looking at spacer widths etc.

Just need it to stop raining to see it properly and have a drive. Thanks for various input in the thread :+1:

4 Likes

That really helps fill the arch out

Bringing it back to where the discussion started…they aren’t actually Exige-spec wheels :rofl:

What nuts are the seats machined for?

I don’t think anybody is in disagreement with this statement as if they were OE spec, this thread wouldn’t even exist!

I believe the Speedlines could be spherical nuts rather than the Exige 60 degree taper; I think you were looking at this earlier @gonein60seconds ?

Anyway, this thread has been very informative so thanks for all for contributing, Things that I’ve personally learned from this thread so far:

1. Rear hubcentric spacers can be used, but you probably need >20mm for the nuts to sit flush. If they don’t sit flush, the actual nuts may or may not sit in the cut-outs of aftermarket wheels.

2. Front ‘plain’ spacers can be used to increase track width, but it may be be dangerous to use more than 3mm, depending on the spigot depth and wheel mounting chamfer depth of aftermarket wheels.

However, the final result is :heart_eyes:

Yep absolutely correct. That’s the only reason I raised any queries because there are differences that I was aware of from times past, where folk have fitted replacement wheels then found fit/safety problems and I didn’t want anyone to be unaware.

It does rather feel like those comments - made from a safety perspective only - were taken as criticism, which is far from the case, so it’s all good :slight_smile:

On an associated but separate matter, I was at my local council tip yesterday and there was a set of very similar-looking black, 5-spoke alloys which someone had discarded… :scream:

1 Like

You need to post here some detail and steps of your home wheel alignment. I’d be really interested to know how you went about that and the process. I’m a bit of a moron when it comes to that sort of thing but interested to learn and for it to be explained.

I’ve finally gotten around to uploading some photos, and have thrown together a quick explanation in the General section. :+1:

1 Like