Lotus Test Day at Donington

Rob

I’m booked on a five day intensive Silverstone racing course inc ARDS on 25 May with race on 29 May…

I figure this is the best way to stay alive with the Audi engine…

\

Bloody hell, Uncle Mike - didn’t realise you were going racing too

Ah, just twigged - the race is at the end of the training course Is that in Formula Fords, or a Van Dieman with an Audi engine?

“why wasn’t there a 111r to test alongside the Mk2 Exige at Donington today?” To me, the answer is obvious

Interesting.

I think Lotus’ answer would be, and I think there’d be some truth in it, that the Exige is aimed at the track and the 111R at the road. THAT SAID, I think the new Exige is almost certainly a much better road car. If I didn’t track my Exige (and the looks were better) perhaps I would be tempted in switiching…although I’d be more tempted by the 111R - go figure! Thinking about it Pesky you’re right, who are they aiming the new Exige at?!

As for speed, if Gav can only get 2 more secs out of it round Hethal with improved suspension, better brakes (than the std), 48s and more torque, we can hardly call it quicker can we. Looking forward to driving it though.

Ian

a Van Dieman with an Audi engine?

Isn’t that known as a Formula Palmer Audi?!

Ian

You are of course correct - but as I understand it thay fit different engines for different purposes. For example, my eldest lad recently did an on track experience (me & bosses Christmas pressie for him) at Oulton. After 15mins in an MG XR, he then did 15mins in an FPA single seater, which was normally aspirated, as opposed to turbo’d as in the race series (I wonder why )

Have a great weekend - weather forecast is fab for Oop North, & the Edwards Boyz are coming up tonight for a stopover & curry, before fitting front splitters & front brake ducts to mine, Gay Lardy keeper’s & JohnO’s Exiges tomorrow

I should add that although they didn’t quite manage to sell me a new Exige yesterday, they did sell me on the idea of more track days and training. I’m far from being the best driver in world, but it’s amazing how having a good instructor sat next to you can make you feel as if you could be

If I didn’t track my Exige (and the looks were better)

Ever heard of plastic surgery, mate?

fitting…front brake ducts to mine

In the same style as their own, or more Uldis’?

Ian

Ever heard of plastic surgery, mate?

In the same style as their own, or more Uldis’?

As they refuse to pay royalties to anyone, it will be their own patented design.

Bloody hell, Uncle Mike - didn’t realise you were going racing too

Ah, just twigged - the race is at the end of the training course Is that in Formula Fords, or a Van Dieman with an Audi engine?

I couldn’t afford the Formula Ford version, so am doing it in the cheaper Formula Firsts, (�2,100 for five days), which are fast enough!!

The aim is primarily to improve my driving enough to cope with the new audi turbo power I will have in the Exige… (Uldis will be pleased)

I may well end up racing the Exige eventually, provided I don’t make a complete tit of myself on the course…

Told you that redundancy money would come in handy for ‘re-training’ mike!

Ian

If you want want a hand with driving technique I would be happy to assist Mike. I’m no Ayrton Senna but I have been racing for quite a few years now and may be able to give you some pointers.

I am still totally of the opinion that very, very few existing owners will swap

As ever you make some very good points there Mr Pesky.

Quite frankly I don’t think the general lack of enthusiasm from S1 owners will worry Lotus unduly.

Nonetheless I have still to hear of anyone who’s actually placed an order for an S2, although they must exist.

The biggest danger for Lotus is that the buying public will see the 111R as a far more cost effective option that can still cut it on track.

In other words, will we see the same lack of sales enthusiasm that the S1 engendered, whereby prices will plummet.

And how many dealers have demo cars yet?

If you want want a hand with driving technique I would be happy to assist Mike. I’m no Ayrton Senna but I have been racing for quite a few years now and may be able to give you some pointers.

That would be brilliant… I’ve been lying in bed recovering from a small skin graft, daydreaming about racing…

When I imagined chasing someone around (say) Oulton, I had no idea who would have priority if I got alongside on the left going into the Foulston’s chicane after Shell…

It’s a completely different ballgame from merely driving fast on the racing line, eh??