Looking for Feedback

Roy, what is DS?

And Simon, there seems to be a confusion here. 3 way adjustable I meant:
-preload (spring)
-compression damping
-rebound damping
I’m guessing that you’re referring to these as doble damping adjustable.

The 2 way Nitrons that are so popular are adjustable for spring and one button that adjusts mainly rebound and (on a smaller extent) compression damping (variable rate, so can’t tell you proportions, it varies with stroke).

And I can understand that you’d recommend sticking with the 2 ways, without the proper experience it’s difficult to understand the adjustments, but believe me, thanks to 4 years racing bikes, I can feel the suspension and adjustments needed.

Your post is enlightening however, I was already thinking on going for Nitrons (double-damping adjustable, or 3 way), you just confirmed that.

Cheers,
Uldis

DS = Dynamic Suspension… I have the 2 way adjustable setup.

Roy

3/4 way - as in 3 or 4 way adjustables, 3 are normally 1 rebound (on the stem) and Bump in fast and slow (on the canister).

Uldis - the spring platform is NOT an adjustment as far as dampers are concerned!

The Nitrons (that we are talking about here) are single way adjustables, ie. they have 1 adjusting coller (or Knob on older ones) that adjusts both the bump and rebound in unison.

thing I have found with Dynamics is that when dyno’ed out, I have never found a pair that actually match that well, they are normally at least 1 click different and the curves are subtly different, also, they seem to ‘wear’ the valving relatively quickly, particularly the slow bump.

For the money they cost, I would go just about anywere else, there are far better options out there at less money, however, you really do need to know what to ask for, AFAIK, very few makers have spent any time at all on the Elise/Exige to get it right, so 99% of the stuff off the shelf will be wrong.

Rate wise, as I said above, this depends very heavily on what tyres you are running, and the type of use the car is for.

The basic logic goes that the stickier the tyre, the more spring you need (to counter the increase in latteral grip and resist additional chassis roll).

For a track-day car that’s still road used and on something like A048R’s, the sort of place I would start is ~400 front and ~550 Rear keeping a sencible ride hight of ~115-125mm. (I hassen to add, this is not what I run! but then mine never see’s much of the road etc.)

This should give good balance and chassis control without taking your fillings out on typical crap roads.

At these sorts of rates, you don’t need much in the way of damper rates, so the ride quality does not suffer drastically. (don’t forget the ARB in all this…)

Having said all that, it really is an individual thing about finnal rates you can get on with, but remeber that springs are cheap, dampers cost money, so it’s important to get them right.

PS. Nitron are looking at doing some 2 ways for the Elise/Exige market, these will be aimed more at race use than street though…

I know education standards are dropping, but please don’t drop you 'H’s - it’s Scuffham!

Having said all that, it really is an individual thing about [color:“red”] finnal [/color] rates you can get on with, but [color:“red”] remeber [/color] that springs are cheap, dampers cost money, so it’s important to get them right.

Pots & kettles, springs to mind.

Seriously though, this is interesting stuff, cos I will be after some new springs/dampers myself later in the year.

I echo Pesky’s thanks -

It almost seems as if we should all get together to attend some sort of suspension clinic, (Roy, come on over) with someone clever doing the training, showing us exactly what component does what job, preferably on an Exige with it’s clothes off…

Whoever was bold enough to do this would probably get a good response, especially if it was based on some sort of track or airfield where the differences could be demoed…

They would also probably get a few equipment orders into the bargain (at discount rates on the day, of course)…

Dyslexia rules KO!

be an interesting thing to do, but very hard in terms of time etc…

Just to do a spring change on a car and set it back up takes a good 1-2 hours…

Simon,

Thanks for your comments. Do you mind if I ask specificlly what you run on your car (shocks/springs/allignment/ride height)? My car is not on the road, ever. It runs slicks (Yoko from the Motorsport car) and the DS stuff I have is not as stiff as your starting point (375/400 F/R out of the box). I am very interested in what you are running as you seem to have done a lot of work in that area. I don’t plan on coming to Europe racing any time soon so I’m no threat:)

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Feel free to e-mail me if it is easier.

Roy

Simon,

I’ve found that with stock setup I have, my Exige is underdamped, especially on rebound. So, even at the stock spring rates I would notice a difference.
And yes, I use the car on road and track, so I wouldn’t go for ultra-stiff, probably less than the 400 and 550 you mentioned (I have lots of old fillings and don’t like to go to the dentist )

And in fact, the Nitrons 2 way you mention (we’ll standardize to your terminology, makes more sense) is what I’m planning to get. I know, the one with one knob is ok, but I really want to be able to adjust bump and rebound separately.

Thanks for the info.

Uldis

I know education standards are dropping, but please don’t drop you 'H’s - it’s Scuffham!

Having said all that, it really is an individual thing about [color:“red”] finnal [/color] rates you can get on with, but [color:“red”] remeber [/color] that springs are cheap, dampers cost money, so it’s important to get them right.

Cheers for stickin up for me dad…

Hey Scrunty… its a well known fact that only anal retentives worry about their spelling and you n me are long lost causes on that front… anyway, I thought the ‘H’ was silent so no use wastin letters wiv it ehh… :wink:

Simon, what ya make of the Blink eRise?

Ian

Look at it this way, I am currently preping a K20A for mine…

Can’t stand the heartache and bills of running a K anymore…

Cheers

Wots a damper !?

Look at it this way, I am currently preping a K20A for mine…

Changing from RayBans to Oakleys too???

Don’t be silly…

Simon, what ya make of the Blink eRise?

hehe, that’s like asking Mr Kipling what he thinks of his own cakes. IIRC Mr Scuffham does the Honda conversions with/for Blink. Am I right ?

Err - not quite…

I have an interest in the K20A conversions (Joes, BLiNKs etc), but only in so far as I am working on fitting one to mine (that I intend to race in the EERC next year). Other than that I have absolutely no commercial interest in BLiNK whatsoever. (However, I am angling for them to sponsor me next year in EERC!)

As with many Elise parts companies I have offered my advice (and sometimes worked with them on some projects) - and that list includes the likes of Geary (Eliseparts), Joe (PR), Richard (BliNK) just to name a few.

Ah, OK, I thought you had a hand in working on the car when we met at Elvington.