Initial impressions of Elise with Audi conversion

"With regards to pictures of the conversion/installation I am going to be investing in a new digital camera soon so I will be posting some pics shortly. In the meantime you can actually see pictures of Bernard’s own car on his Webiste @: > http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/

Steve

just looked at that site -I did think the performance estimates for the 250bhp conversion were a little pessimistic!

Unfortunately Bernard had a long ratio gearbox in his Elise which was his only guide and of course this made his acceleration times a little slower. He’s recently fitted the same gearbox as me so no doubt he will be revising the numbers shortly.

That track day meet sounds like a good idea, what about getting in a pro/semi pro driver to get some unbiased opinion on the handling of the different cars?

That track day meet sounds like a good idea, what about getting in a pro/semi pro driver to get some unbiased opinion on the handling of the different cars?

Ask Hyla tp pitch-up in a chopper!

Ian

Unfortunately Bernard had a long ratio gearbox in his Elise which was his only guide and of course this made his acceleration times a little slower. He’s recently fitted the same gearbox as me so no doubt he will be revising the numbers shortly.

Eh??? It doesn’t use the Audi g’box then? Is it mated to the “made of chocalate and all things sweet” PG1??? Surely not!

Mark

The Audi conversion uses the Audi gearbox - but I believe Bernard’s first one was out of an Audi dieselmobile

Ah wipes sweat from forehead Thank god for that!

Would I put 270 ft lbs through a PG1 gearbox ? Not for long methinks.

Basically I was conned by the breakers yard I got the box from. I only found out when it was on the road and it was too late by then. I thought I’d use the car for a bit and then swap it when I got the time. Turned out to be nearly a year later !!

The acceleration figures on the website were taken in my car on a damp track. Be interesting to see what Steve’s numbers are, it seemed a hell of a lot quicker than my car.

Bernard

Bernard has now stripped my GPS mouse from my exige and posted it to me, so I’ll attach it and the DL90 to Steve’s (Maggsy’s) elise on the weekend and post the results…

Good or bad !!!

Had the pleasure of a quick spin with Steve yesterday afternoon.

Due to time pressure, we just went out for 2 or 3 miles, & the only decent stretch of road meant that Steve could only put his foot down in a straightline. Flippin’ eck

As a result, I am now very seriously considering going down the Audi route, as opposed to the Honda route. Hopefully, I’ll get the chance to have another trip out in either Steve’s, Bernard’s or Mike’s cars in the next few weeks

Anybody know what Russ T thought of it when he went for a brief spin ?

Bernard

Bernard et al.

I think it was superb in all areas, easily the fastest road car of the ones I have been in.If the prices I have been hearing are right, I think it is unbeatable for say, Pesky’s situation where pound for pound you are not going to get more torque or power.

I still am glad I went Honda though, because as mine is now not used on the road, I like the idea of a screaming 4 cylinder n/a on track, and I can enjoy developing it over the next couple of years.

Another point is that I drove Pesky’s car back on sunday, and I had forgotten how a (fairly) standard car feels so light and pleasant to drive. The “K”, as we know, is the best engine ever, and its main advantage is the light weight which you can really tell when driving/passengering these cars back to back in one day. On sunday I drove the S2 (yes I got one), the S1 and sat in the Audi.They all have their good points - the Audi feels grunty and muscular, the S1 is light and eager to change direction and stop quickly and the S2 is easy to drive quickly, plus can hold your scissors and comb. But I would rather get in my old car and cane it around a track all day, knowing the (standard) engine would not pop for a hundred thousand miles of racing, track days or road miles, and hear the VTEC doing its thing. Bliss!

Russ, very good comments, cheers
nice one…
laters,
B