IM SMOKING

I feel a lot more confident now , just gone out and bought some Mobil 15w-50 .

would have preferred the 10-60W , but its like rocking horse shi around here .

Got a couple of track days coming up so should burn around 1 litre of oil and top up with the good stuff .

Like yours Uldis ,my car also suffers by oily residue on the back which is impossible to clean off without waxing .

Thanks everyone for your help

Just an update on the IM SMOKING ( but not as much as before )

Would be more appropiate now .

Since the last post I have done two trackdays and nearly 1500 miles .

I have replaced the burnt oil with a cocktail of mobil 1 15w 40 and mineral oil .

The more miles I do, the less it is smoking thankfully .

Thanks for the good advice as you cant seem to rely on some of the dealers .

i don’t think mixing semi-synthetic and mineral oils is a good idea…

Dont tell me that .

Its never run so good as it does now .

Is their a chance of damaging the engine ( I hope not )

I don’t know Jack, but the general concensus is don’t mix 'em. Personally, I would drain the lot and replace with fully synthetic.

Mixing them will reduce the lubrication properties that you expect from synthetic oil’s.

It can also be dangerous if the chemicals in the two oils mix or break down and thus turn it to sludge.
Normally a small amount is fine in an emergency but the general rule is DO NOT MIX THEM !!

Hi Phil

I have only used in total, half a litre of an Esso mineral oil too at least another two litres of Mobil 1 ,( top up )

Having said this I think I had better give the car an oil change to be on the safe side .

THOUGHT OF THE DAY :- must take a crash course in the mechanical side of Exige ownership .

THOUGHT OF THE DAY :- must take a crash course in the mechanical side of Exige ownership .

I use to think like that, now if I’m not sure I just post on here before I do anything and generally people are VERY helpful.

Thank you one and all.

Ian

Going back to original point of the post - I’m with Mike Lane - it sounds like piston slap - the engine will also probably sounds really rattly when cold and then shut up at about the same time the smoking stops

As long as you drive at low revs whilst the engine gets warm - i.e. less than 4000 until you get to 70 degrees c, then there should be no shortening of the life of the engine. If you thrash it cold with piston slap, then you will get through liners and piston rings like they are going out of fashion.

If you want to talk it through, always worth getting hold of Dave Andrews and having a natter

Cheers

Mark

Thanks mark much appreciated

I SUPPOSE I WILL HAVE TO BANG A LOAD OF MILEAGE ONTO THE CAR AS IT HAS TAKEN ME 5 MONTHS TO DO 1200 MILES .

THE CAR IS USING 1 LITRE OF OIL PER 600 MILES

My last car had a bit of a water and oil issue…I ended up running the car through europe for a week on Evian and Shell Helix Ultra. Expensive week! My Elise smoked a bit when new. Then that died down after a while. Was never a problem again after 1000 miles or so.

Ed