Good Day at Bedford Today

It all seems a little odd to me. The 10 part fair enough, nice and thin when it’s cold, but why would you want 60 when it’s hot, okay it may stick to parts slightly better but surely that’s more friction than you really want?

Pesky do you still burn a litre of it on a trackday? I wonder as at 60 it may not escape as easily.

Ian

I use 15W-50 Mobil 1 Motorsport and yes it stinks

I used a quarter of a dipstick in 200 track miles - so thats about 1 litre per 1000 track miles … which I think is reasonable …

0w-40 is thinner than say 15w-50 so won’t it will flow more easily and thus provide lubrication quicker? It should also flow more readily into tricky to reach parts like valve-stems and small oil-galleries??

I’d guess Mobil engineers would have made sure it doesn’t break-down at high temperatures and remains stable… so even tho our cars run pretty hot - esp on-track - I can’t imagine that in UK at least… the thinner grade is gonna provide reduced lubrication ?? and as long as its changed every 6k miles you will be getting rid of contaminants regularly enough no??

Anyway, Porsche use it from the factory and its recommended by BMW… what grade do Williams/BMW use?.. mmm… i guess its another pays yer money kinda deal ??

Pesky – do you know why Gavan Kershaw uses Castrol 10W-60?.. i’d be interested to find out…

Pesky – do you know why Gavan Kershaw uses Castrol 10W-60?.. i’d be interested to find out…

Rox

Don’t know the technical reasons, but that is the oil which he recommended I use after he fettled mine (& JohnO’s) engines last year, & I know that’s what he used in his race car.

ooops, chaps, I screwed up, mentioned Castrol but in reality is Motul 15W50, the one used by so Prodrive Scooby?

Anyway, smells like Toffee! (yummy!)