Exige Wanted

Hello all. I’m newly registered to this forum but have been spying for some time. I’m currently looking around for a new car and one of my choices (or two really) is the exige S1 or S2. Had a test ride in an S2 recently and was very impressed. Could have had the car for a bargain price but was unable to sort it out quickly enough. Anyway, have yet to try an S1 as have not found many for sale near me so far. May have one to look at this weekend and one to look at next weekend (including a supercharged one if its still for sale) but at least one of them could be sold by tomorrow.

Anyone else looking to sell let me know. What i eventually go for will probably depend on price. The S2 that i missed out on i could probably have got for �24k

Only preferences are air con and either black, titanium or blue, but may consider other colours. Supercharged Honda powered would be nice.

Thanks

Hi Colinc,
I’m selling my S2, it’s on Pistonheads… take a look…

Cheers
Trout

looks good in that colour…

Aircon ? Are you mad ?

Thanks for the offer of the S2. Looks very nice but have pretty much settled on an S1 (unless a particularly cheap S2 was to come along)

Regarding the air con this seems to be a touchy point particularly with the S1. Having never driven one in traffic with and without air con i don’t really know how effective it is. The car is only going to be used for weekends etc but it is likely that at some point i will be standing in traffic in hot weather. Is it really that bad that you wouldn’t notice any difference in this sort of situation? I am hearing mixed reports at the moment.

Provided the S1 aircon system is properly gassed up, & there are no leaks in the pipes, it is quite effective. Nothing like it should be for the �1400 it originally cost, but a godsend when stuck in slowmoving traffic on a hot day. I really missed mine this year in Le Mans, after having it for the previous 4 years before going Honda power.

If the car you want has aircon, that’s a bonus, if not, don’t let it be the deciding factor in your decision to buy - overall mechanical condition & service history (& I don’t mean main dealer!) are the crucial things to consider

Mr Pesky

Thats what i thought. Have actually found two cars that i like and both are exceptionally nice. One has air con but then their are things about the other that i prefer. Decisions decisions! Will probably come down to money at the end of the day

Not sure how hard it is to retro fit aircon but plenty of people seem to take theirs off so should be plenty of second hand bits about.

Just had mine regassed but it’s not as effective as it was the day it was done so I’m thinking it leaked away my �80 regassing investment

Not sure how hard it is to retro fit aircon but plenty of people seem to take theirs off so should be plenty of second hand bits about.

Simon

Impossible, in realistic practical terms eg Dash is different (vents), heater controls, & various bits of pipework in the front compartment, which connect to the cabin & compressor in the engine bay.

You need to check the aluminium aircon pipe joints located next to firewall/bulkhead on the driver’s side in the engine bay. They are the ones which usually break (due to engine rocking/vibration), as they are attached by a metal clip. In my car, I undid the clip & wrapped the pipes with rubber, so that they had some flexibility - seemed to do the trick!

Provided the S1 aircon system is properly gassed up, & there are no leaks in the pipes, it is quite effective. Nothing like it should be for the �1400 it originally cost, but a godsend when stuck in slowmoving traffic on a hot day. I really missed mine this year in Le Mans, after having it for the previous 4 years before going Honda power.

If the car you want has aircon, that’s a bonus, if not, don’t let it be the deciding factor in your decision to buy - overall mechanical condition & service history (& I don’t mean main dealer!) are the crucial things to consider

Don’t you find that the cabin is soooo much cooler with the Honda though?? Mine is loads better and I havn’t been left wanting for aircon so far.

Honda route is a bit of a pricy aircon alternative

…even if there are some other fringe benefits

Don’t you find that the cabin is soooo much cooler with the Honda though?? Mine is loads better and I havn’t been left wanting for aircon so far.

It definately is for most of the time, but once “heat soaked” it’s still like a bloody sauna

Aircon ? Are you mad ?

David, no, he isn’t! Having recently done a thousand miles in a week round France in 42C temps I can assure you that it is a luxury worth repairing!

If you’re looking for a Titanium one…

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=43590&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Aircon ? Are you mad ?

Dealers must be…they all want it

Tim.

Because that’s what newcomers to Exiges, coming from other saloon/luxury cars want.

I know because I was one of them, when asking about the car I wanted aircon.
When they told me it didn’t have it, I almost walked away, but reconsidered.

Glad I did!

You’re right Uldis, plus the dealers have’nt forgot how long it took to shift some of the early cars

Tim.

Thanks for all the offers but looks like i’ve just done a deal. Should be a proud new owner by the end of next week. Don’t want to say any more until i get it in case it all goes pear shaped. All being well will post pics up next week.

So whens the next track day?

p.s. It doesn’t have air con but it was too good to say no