Exige Carbon Fiber bodywork...

It’s FIA certification rules, initally 5 years.after this, with manufacturer inspection and test, a further 2 years.I don’t know if you can keep getting it tested or not?This is only for FIA stuff theough, in reality they will last years provided that they are not subject to sunlight etc.Simon (S)

SimonATL told me only once - but you know whether to beleive what your told or not dont you [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

Thanks for the info, didn’t know they exist.But it seems that they’re a better option then that the aluminum one that Geary sells (and I was thinking to get one of those in the future).But Simon, you mentioned that internal engine work (crank, etc) could save you 11 Kg. How can that be? I can only relate to the Motorcycle world, but how can a stronger crank be lighter? they are normally the same weight, in some cases heavier, and in special cases lighter (but that is a special lightened crank, where the strentgth was already ok to start with).Are you sure?Uldis

Uldis,Engine wise, although a steel crank is a bit lighter, that’s not where most of the weight is.Biggest single saving is the flywheel and clutch, even with the VHPD ‘ultralight’ FW, it’s still a 4.3Kg’s lump of steel, and the clutch is another 5Kg’s or so.Also, the throttle bodies that the Exige has are not light, the rods, pistons, etc. etc. can all stand improvement.Last time I weighted my engine (when it was wet-sumped and still with a VHPD flywheel) is worked out at 68Kg’s with Alt, etc. (minus oil), that’s some why below what PTP quote for the VHPD.Simon (S)

Simon - probably a poor description, but a bush in one of the selector forks was extremely worn and had broke - couldn’t get 4th or 5th gear. Just as well it died on a trackday rather than Mallory this coming Sunday…PS What were you doing there? [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

Spying!Simon (S)PS. a long way to go for Gearbox work isn’t it?Gearboxman is on your doorstep dam near?

Yes - but I was at Brands when it happened, and they can do the work straight away…

Hi to all Lotus Elise/Exige fans. My name is Peter Landan and my company is Lotus Motorsport Australia P/L. I would like to give you a little background and then talk about carbon fibre bodies for Exiges/Sport 200’s. My first Elise was the third Elise imported into Australia. I then bought the first Sport 190 in the world and raced it for three years on the track and in Targa Tasmania, winning a Millenium Trophy. I then bought the first privateer Motorsport 200 in the world. The passion and hobby has now developed into a business importing Lotus race cars, preparing race and road cars and looking after client motorsport interests.We have been dealing with Lotus Motorsport UK (and other suppliers)for about 4 years. In 2001, I won the Production Sports Car Championship beating a highly prepared Porsche GT3. I also compete in a 1965 Elan 26R in Tarmac races. Angelo has kindly given us a plug re carbon fibre bodies for Exiges/Sport 200. To dispel any myths or misconceptions, a full carbon fibre Sport 200 body (painted), excluding sills, will take 53kgs off the weight of an Exige. The paint weighs about 5kgs ie 58kgs weight saving before painting. Re strength, CF is not only lighter but stronger than GRP. In an accident it will flex more, absorbing impact, before breaking. It is easy to repair (in experienced hands) and will regain almost 100% strength. GRP on the other hand will retain internal stress fractures, even if it looks OK cosmetically, it will not be as strong as the original condition, once repaired.As one person suggested, the CF mesh will tend to show through the paint in time. However, it is very faint and not unattractive. The Sport 190 is like this (it has a factory CF body, as most would know)We have now rebodied three Sport 200’s and just completed our first Exige. For those interested, please contact me on [email protected] and I will send photos and a weight chart of individual components.We race against many much more powerful cars and have had to become very innovative to beat the bug*ers. We build all sorts of K series hot motors up to around 240hp (don’t like quoting HP, because generally, the figures vary from dyno to dyno). In any case, I think our top motor is probably the most sophisticated K series on the planet. It is stoked to 2 litres and is dry sumped and is truly a torquey weapon. We also have a 1.90 litre big bore motor which is also a screamer.Anyway, our website is lousy, as someone suggested, and we will fix it up soon to show what we are up to down under. Please feel free to contact me by email if you have any questions.BTW, Angelo’s car is a very, very quick Exige. He has not revealed all about it yet. Try asking him!CheersPeter.

Come on Angelo, spill the beans…

PHIL, THERE’S A MAN WITH A SEXIER K-SERIES THAN YOURS!!!You could even take Trudy on a holiday to pick one up. [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]Ian [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

Peter,I know I am probably comming accross as a total skeptic, but humour me…Can you give a detailed breakdown of this 58Kg’s saving (in terms of pannel by pannel comparisons. I still have a hard time with this.Also, if you have already deleloped a 2L K then why are Rover paying Judd to look at doing one? (Last time Rover worked on this, they gave up)If you have indeed got one up and running, you may want to give them a call…Simon (S)

Hi, it’s my Exige that has had the c/f panels just fitted by Peter. I’m happy with the results so far. Here are the painted figures, panel by panel, weighed on bathroom scales (so maybe 0.5 kg margin of error):Panel Standard CarbonFront Clamshell 16kg 5.0Rear Clamshell 28kg 8.0Rear Quarter Panels (2) n/a 3.0RHS Door Skins 7.8kg 2.8LHS Door Skins 7.8kg 2.8Engine Lid 7.0 2.0Bonnet 5.0 1.2Roof 10.6 3.0Front Spoiler/undertray with clam 2.0Total 82.2 29.8Saving of 53kgNote that my car is lighting yellow, using a non-metallic colour would have meant the paint was a little lighter…The Sport 200 rear wing has also been fitted, this would add 2-3kg to the weight (we haven’t weighed it).The Sport 200 has a seperate front clam and front spoiler, and has 2xqtr panels + a smaller rear clam instead of a large Exige rear clam.I’ve also recently fitted Sport 200 brakes, Motec ECU and Dash, along with a mildly worked engine upgrade (head, cams etc to give about 200hp and more torque).

Simon,Here you go: http://www.lotussource.com/lsGallery/exige/carbonweight.pdf Roy

Thankyou to all those who have enquired about the CF bodies. With due respect to Simon, I think it would be very hard to get an Elise down to 600kgs.For what it is worth my Motorsport Elise weighs 670kgs with all the fluids but no petrol, The spec is as follows:230hp big bore motor (1.90litre.)AP racing clutchLight weight flywheelSmaller alternatorCarbon fibre roof to throttle body ram air box (another one of our products)Carbon fibre body except sills.Drivers seat onlyFire bomb replaced by hand held extinguisherMotorsport brakes (standard)Five speed Dog box with Motorsport shift and ATBSpeedline mag. wheelsPolycarb windscreen and side windows.Most door fittings removed.No heaterRace batteryMotorsport driveshaftsMotec engine managementDry sumpedRoller barrel throttle bodies (Caterham)Twin fuel pump, surge tank system.Dynamic shocksHeat exchanger, no oil cooler, self bleeding cooling systemI really think it would be hard to loose much more weight without stuffing up the structural integrity of the car. However, all ideas welcome.Simon mentioned about Judd looking at a 2 litre K series. Lotus also looked at it but did not go ahead because the design cost versus demand did not stack up. We have just completed a stroked 2 litre at considerable expense and whilst the horsepower is about 230hp the torque is exceptional. One of our client cars will be racing with this motor and we are waiting to see how it will perform in competition.Cheers

So, now we’ve seen some figures, how’s about the numbers that really count: Prices.Also, what’s the quality like? It’s certainly not uncommon to see lightweight race cars with poorly fitting panels. I know the Exige’s body isn’t put together very well, but is this carbon stuff up to the same standard of fit and finish?If the price and quality are right, I could be tempted by a roof and and engine cover. These would appear to offer a useful improvement in weight distribution.One last question, will the carbon roof leak as much as the Exige’s fibreglass item?

Hi guys,seems like I missed some activity whilst away at the Melbourne GP. With respect to my car, for any that are interested, it has had the following conversions:Motec ECMDave Andrews HeadQED DTH throttle bodiesForged crankforged pistons,new liners…basically all engine internals replaced/rebalanced engine is bored to approx 1.9Lcustom exhaust and ceramic coated headersAP racing clutchquaiffe ATB diffMotorsport brakes and calipersproflex suspension upgradeMotorsport (corbeau) racing seatsI think that’s the important bits…The car, as tested on dyno, has had a 35% power hike above the standard (177bhp)set up. Having only had the car back for a month, I’m only just coming to terms with how much quicker the car is over standard, and how much better the Motorsport brakes are. The car is a little docile under 3000rpm, but absolutely roars from there to the 8000rpm redline. All in all very happy with the conversion!!!

Brendan,my roof doesn’t leak at all, maybe it’s only yours [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/tongue.gif[/image]Uldis

Hi Brendan,no idea on leakage, I haven’t driven it in the rain, but then my old GRP roof leaked anyway.Fit & Finish definitely seems as good as the GRP, but a fair amount of fiddly fitting was required to get it looking good. I guess this could be called the R&D component of fitting the worlds first Carbon Fibre Sport 200 body to an Exige…

Uldis, Matt’s just confirmed I’m not alone :PMatt, thanks for your reply.So, what about prices? Obviously shipping isn’t going to be cheap…

you’d have to speak to Pete re prices. I know in my case I bought the whole package deal (all panels apart from sills), and there was a R&D component to my work. It was a custom job, and not an off the shelf kit. I can say it definitely wasn’t cheap, around the same price as all new GRP parts + fitting + painting + shipping.Drop Pete an email and he should be able to get back to you with some pricing