Engine Oil, Type and Grade

Hahaha… quality

Pesky,

If you’re trying to crack onto me vicariously it will take more than a couple of beers. It’s a good start though.

I am not at all religious, have no dirty habits, so I’ve nun idea what you mean - as the actress said to the bishop.

Or are you just pontificating?

Normally yes, but Pesky will take a few more beers.

Hmmmm in that case I had better avoid a trip down to Braemer until after Donno

Judith will be happy as we can go in search 1hp workshops

Hi

The oil is one of the most important parts of an engine, in addition to its use or its power.

When we talk about oil, we always make reference to its viscosity and almost always we chose the oil about this basis.

We believe that an oil 10/60W be better than a 10/40W, but we are quite right?

Yes and no, because it not only affects the viscosity of oil in the protection of our engine, other much factors less known also influence.

An oil 5/30W will give us more power in the engine that a 10/60W, because of its viscosity, as the friction between moving parts, will be less.

But we can also get 3 or 4 HP more if instead of being the oil the maximum, is at a minimum.

Normally between the maximum and minimum are more or less 1 liter of difference and that makes our crank, hits with less mass, increase those HP mentioned, but attention, it is often dangerous.

A higher viscosity oil, give more pressure our pump and more protecion our engine.

Factors less known are its oil viscosity index, which depends on the formulation with the that has been made the oil and additives.

In the oil viscosity index is what we really we need know, to determine the quality of the oil.

This index is measured in the laboratory into two phases, oil at 40 degrees and 100 degrees.

The higher the viscosity index of these measures, the greater the protecion of the engine, not only by the pressure of the pump, also by the ability of lubrication according to the density of the oil at these grades.

Another factor is the density index, similarly measured in the laboratory, as in the case mentioned above, the higher its density, the longer it will be protected parts of the engine between boot and boot.

And finally the boiling point, the higher, the lower their risk of disintegrating Synthetic or mineral composition.

I advise Castrol TWS 10/60W or Castrol Edge 10/60W.

Of all the oil analyzed, it is the best meets all of these requirements and also the engine Rover K series has hydraulic followers, how higher the viscosity index, less HP Lose, this is why when the cam hits against follower to open or close valves, making them download less of oil in the follower hydraulic, getting more open valves.

Regards

Er … the VHPD has solid lifters IRC …

Hi

Yes, but that does not change anything for mech followers, is same performance impressive of this oil.

I know, because most engines that I made for competition, has mech followers.

Regards

I always use millers 10/60, this rate any good for the s1 exige or not…?

Daniel

Should be perfect for the VHPD engine.

Change it regularly ie after 2 or 3 trackdays, or 5K road miles. This will be “overkill”, but much cheaper than a rebuild. I got 36K miles out of mine doing that, & it was still going strong when I sold it.